EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My 89 year old T2 father visits me for 3 months a year over Xmas (he's in the UK, I'm in New Zealand). Last year I encouraged him to go low carb, and he managed to lose all his excess weight (1.5 stone) as a result. But I've no ides how his hba1c has gone, because his last test was in November 2018, 54.

Should they be checking more often than once a year? Last year his blood sugar was consistently in near normal range (maybe a couple of 8s) so I'm pretty sure he's improved, and he's continued to avoid bread since returning to the UK. He's on gliclazide but I don't think he's ever had a hypo, but obviously I'm anxious that he doesn't go too low.

Not sure that he's actually seen a diabetic nurse this calendar year (their old one retired), is this normal? (Yes, they are still doing annual eye checks). Though he has a meter he hasn't been doing tests at home, though he does them when staying with me.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Mine get checked every 3 months, my last one was at 4 I think but that was only because a mistake was made and previous one was done early.

I’m assuming once my levels go into normal range and I’m off meds () that may may be increased periods in between.

I should clarify I’m still not in good range as am 54 so that might be why mine are so often,
I see DN every year for feet checks and diabetic review.

Last edited:

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I have mine done every 3 months. Our illustrious grubberment allows 4 per year so I use every one of them. Never see a diabetic nurse just in case I get an urge to perform strangulation and end up crushing big rocks into little ones. I'm allowed 4 podiatry and eye checks as well but I only use half of them.

M

Member496333

Annual is typical in the UK once reasonable control has been established.

And well done for getting your father to try low carb. In the majority, it’s a profoundly effective intervention for kicking T2 into the kerb. Certainly it would be a surprise if his HbA1c had risen.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Once a year I have an eye test and diabetic monitoring by a DN. This includes a foot examination and blood tests for lipids, HbA1c, renal function etc. I take 500mg of metformin a day and I still have to request a B12 test each time.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well the strange thing is he had a test in August 2018 (59) followed by the November one (54) and none since. He also had a trip to hospital (chest pain that turned out to be nothing) when they issued him with lots of blood testing gear (but did not show him how to use it).

His only problem at the moment (and for at least a year) is a recurring rash on his leg. He's been given a cream which reduces it, but hasn't yet got rid of it. I suspect it's a side effect of one of his many many medications (15 pills a day?). The issue is that the doctors give him new pills when he has an issue but never take him off the old ones (sigh). And he never has an appointment long enough to ask about whether he needs all the medications, because the doctor is too busy....

I guess I'll monitor his levels when he comes next Christmas, and reduce the gliclazide if he looks like he might go hypo... Then present a fait accompli to his diabetic nurse, assuming they ever review his diabetes again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Annually for me, although if I ever need bloods taking for any other reason they tend to throw in an HbA1c.

D

Deleted member 308541

I get a hba1c test every three months since I have stopped taking Metformin, before that I had a test every six months.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a bit ‘hit and miss’ dependent on when they can fit me in although, as with @Goonergal, if I need bloods for other reason they will normally do a hba1c as well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery just hasn't got a clue.
I think I was diagnosed with diabetes due to the wrong box being ticked when I should have had my annual test for thyroid hormone replacement.
These days I don't really care, but I went in and hassled for a test after a year or so of being ignored.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine's generally checked approximately every six months, but occasionally too when I've had a blood test for other reasons. (But last one was done when I was in hospital for a minor hand operation - just a few weeks after my regular checkup!)

Robbity