High Blood Glucose

Buddyshaz

My story - Apologies for long post
So diagnosed T2 about 2 years ago buried head in sand and then last year took a heart attack again birdies head in sand. I seem to think if I ignore something it will go away. Feel like **** all the time dizzy, blurred vision, foggy, lethargic etc. I could sleep all the time as I’m so tired and exhausted. Never know if it’s heart meds or diabetes that causing it but again just pod along rather than deal with it. Anyway I’m starting to realise that I have to change or I won’t be around very much longer so need to give myself a severe kick up the backside. Past couple days fasting blood sugar been in the 16’s 17’s and today was 18.9. I’ve been doing low GI and lowest I can get it is 12.8. Also going way off track at night but better than I have been doing in a long time. Long story to get to a question but is it normal for blood to be high in the morning at fasting after being naughty at night. I’m on 1000 metformin. Thanks

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum

I understand the desire to bury your head in the sand but we are talking about your health here

It sounds like you have a meter so that is a great step. You really need to be doing regular testing before meals and 2 hours after.

My advice is to reduce all carbohydrates Not just sugar. All of them turn into glucose.

My second piece of advice is to stop thinking of eating food that spikes your blood sugars as 'naughty' It is actually serious saying 'naughty' makes it sound a bit trivial. The complications from diabetes can be very serious. The levels you are talking about are really high. You want to be aiming for much lower.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I agree you really need to change. I am a carb addict- I really really love carbs- they are my favourite food- I just can't eat them again (well not more than 20 grams in a day) possibly (probably) for the rest of my life- forever. I decided to not bury my head in the sand.l If you do lower your carb intake there is also the possibility of much lower readings.

It may take a while to get the morning levels down- google dawn phenomena and that will give you some information

Soon someone will be here who can give you the newcomers information - I really need to learn how to tag someone.

Please stick around and read the information and make changes- your health is worth it

You are welcome here and people are only to willing to give you information and help to make the changes to your health.

Last edited:

Buddyshaz

I understand the desire to bury your head in the sand but we are talking about your health here

It sounds like you have a meter so that is a great step. You really need to be doing regular testing before meals and 2 hours after.

My advice is to reduce all carbohydrates Not just sugar. All of them turn into glucose.

My second piece of advice is to stop thinking of eating food that spikes your blood sugars as 'naughty' It is actually serious saying 'naughty' makes it sound a bit trivial. The complications from diabetes can be very serious. The levels you are talking about are really high. You want to be aiming for much lower.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I agree you really need to change. I am a carb addict- I really really love carbs- they are my favourite food- I just can't eat them again (well not more than 20 grams win a day) possibly (probably) for the rest of my life- forever. I decided to not bury my head in the there is also the possibility of much lower readings.

It may take a while to get the morning levels down- google dawn phenomena and that will give you some information

Soon someone will be here who can give you the newcomers information - I really need to learn how to tag someone.

Please stick around and read the information and make changes- your health is worth it

You are welcome here and people are only to willing to give you information and help to make the changes to your health.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I agree you really need to change. I am a carb addict- I really really love carbs- they are my favourite food- I just can't eat them again (well not more than 20 grams win a day) possibly (probably) for the rest of my life- forever. I decided to not bury my head in the there is also the possibility of much lower readings.

Thanks for this I will look it up. It is all so overwhelming different carbs etc. I’ve been trying to read up on it all the past couple of days to try and understand it all

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is the useful info post that @VashtiB mentions (VashtiB to tag you just need to type @ followed by the screen name as I have done here with your name)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I agree you need to reduce your carbohydrate intake, it is a lot to take in, have a look here, this should help:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Come back with any questions, there’ll always be someone here to answer.

Reactions: Buddyshaz

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Hi Buddyshaz, I felt exactly how you're feeling when I was diagnosed with diabetes - I had no energy, my sight was always blurry, I was lethargic at best. I didn't want to give up the foods I love, so I buried my head in the sand. But I found this forum and I picked myself up, with the help and advice from all the lovely people here. One thing is clear though - you need to want to feel better - once you have the want, you'll find the will. And you're already here talking to us, so already on the right path. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a meat eater it's fairly simple.. eat bacon and eggs for all your meals for a week and see what happens.
Nothing else for food just bacon and eggs. Teas and coffees too with milk and/or cream (or even better black) and water.
Simple quick and your sugars should start to drop like a stone.
So diagnosed T2 about 2 years ago buried head in sand and then last year took a heart attack again birdies head in sand. I seem to think if I ignore something it will go away. Feel like **** all the time dizzy, blurred vision, foggy, lethargic etc. I could sleep all the time as I’m so tired and exhausted. Never know if it’s heart meds or diabetes that causing it but again just pod along rather than deal with it. Anyway I’m starting to realise that I have to change or I won’t be around very much longer so need to give myself a severe kick up the backside. Past couple days fasting blood sugar been in the 16’s 17’s and today was 18.9. I’ve been doing low GI and lowest I can get it is 12.8. Also going way off track at night but better than I have been doing in a long time. Long story to get to a question but is it normal for blood to be high in the morning at fasting after being naughty at night. I’m on 1000 metformin. Thanks
What kind of stuff are you eating/drinking to get those kind of results?

Buddyshaz

Today I was 18.9 fasting
14 before breakfast
I egg scrambled with 1 slice brown bread
16.6 2 hrs after
Lentil soup
Still to check in a hours tine

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
14 before breakfast
16.6 2 hrs after

So this demonstrates a rise of more than 2mmol/l from before to 2 hours after, which is not what you’re looking for, it shows your intolerance of carbohydrates in the bread. I suggest bacon in place of the toast. Why don’t you give that a try tomorrow and see if there’s a difference.

Buddyshaz

I will give that a try. Usually always have white bread when I eat it but yesterday and today tried brown but will give it a miss tomorrow see any difference. I will write things down to keep track

Reactions: Rachox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will give that a try. Usually always have white bread when I eat it but yesterday and today tried brown but will give it a miss tomorrow see any difference. I will write things down to keep track

I'm afraid that many of us have found that bread is bread whatever the colour and has a very similar effect on our blood sugar levels. Like all starchy food types its simply not great for T2's and may be best avoided altogether.
Eggs and bacon would likely have a limited effect on your levels (i.e. not raise them much at all).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that carbohydrate of any colour is what a type two diabetic should avoid - selecting brown or low GI is not going to help very much if at all.
breakfast for me today was three eggs and a tomato - there was cheese, but I did not eat it. I feel so much better eating low carb, and I am no longer diabetic as an added bonus.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again- I know it feels very overwhelming at first- I promise it does get easier to work out what you can eat safely.

I would start out as someone suggested above by having meals containing things with low or no cabs- for example bacon and eggs- no bread- nothing else just bacon and eggs- use butter rather than vegetable oil.

Most cheeses at least hard cheeses have little carbs- check then get those with little carbs and then you can eat them without worrying (and no crackers).

Vegetables you need to be a bit careful of. I stick mainly to spinach leaves and cauliflower. Clauiflower is quite versatile- it can substitute for rice and potato mash. So a steak or chops with cauliflower mash is one of my easy meals- low carbs without having to worry. My husband puts cheese in the cauliflower mash which makes it even nicer in my opinion.

Once you have a couple of meals you don't have to think about it becomes a lot easier. Once your levels come down and stay down you can start experimenting with carbs.

You can do this- everyone here has been overwhelmed but with this site we have all been helped.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I had chicken stir fried with peppers
3 squares milkdark chocolate and glass of Prosecco as birthday
The dark milk chocolate will probably spike your BG levels. If you crave chocolate m, try a couple of squares of 70% or higher of dark chocolate.

Today I was 18.9 fasting
14 before breakfast
16.6 2 hrs after
Lentil soup
Still to check in a hours tine
The bread as mentioned above is a problem. However the lentil soup may be too as lentils are high carb. It would certainly spike my levels. Sorry.
Read around the forum for ideas. What suits one doesn’t suit others. It is only by testing lots you are able to work out what and when things are ok to eat. Good luck.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi Buddyshaz,
My advice is pretty much the same as all the others.
You have almost certainly been told that whole grains or that low GI foods are 'good for you'. This is completely false for most Typ2 diabetics as a simple before and 2hrs after eating them will show.
We have been conned by the medical profession and by governments.

For example I eat a high carb (but whole grains and low GI) lifestyle for over 10 years (since not needing or trying to lose weight - yes some T2's are TOFI = Thin Outside , Fat Inside - around the internal organs which eventually leads to T2). I was advised to do this for my heart health since dad died of heart attack at 45yrs old. Though Dad was overweight, a chain smoker and highly stressed and working night shift all of which contribute!
What did my 'healthy lifestyle result in? - A triple Coronary Artery Bypass, followed by gaining weight and being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes!
What advice was I then given? - Do more of the same but cut down a little on carbs!

I found this website and how to control my Blood Glucose. Got my Hba1c into 'prediabetic range within 4 months using Low Carb (but higher Fat) lifestyle inside 4 months. I also lost 22lbs putting me right n the middle of the 'normal/healthy BMI range). All without conscious calorie restriction or additional exercise ( I already was taking a 35 min brisk walk every day).

There are several ways to manage Blood Glucose, but LCHF is probably the easiest one so long as you have no objection to eating meat. fish and dairy. If you desperately need to lose weight then people often do a crash low calorie diet such as Newcastle Diet or another form of approx. 800 Calorie diet for 6 or 8 weeks before switching to LCHF.
For people with less 'willpower, then LCHF with some Intermittent Fasting (i.e. skipping Breakfast) will speed thing up versus LCHF alone.