What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...feel shattered today after spending the day & most of my evening working in London...the 'other side' were so badly organised the work took much longer... left home at 08:40 home 21:40...off to bed around midnight but up several times dealing with cramp finally fell asleep around 2am...having my life saver coffee & will be doing sweet FA if I can avoid it...unbelievably still have a little cramp this morning...woke to a 6.1

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As per our thread, I have to agree to it's usefulness, @OldButBold

The idea of simply posting a number, to my mind just makes it a numbers game at best, and at worst a competition to post the lowest number possible that just leaves others feeling a failure if they can't match it for various reasons.
I know @Cumberland & @karen8967 , among others, if they post an enviable 4, while i do well to post in the low 5's...I know, thanks to the context you speak of, that that score may be too low for them to be comfortable., so it's a 'hug' rather then a 'Winner'
For myself, I've explained I no longer stress as the 4's do seem beyond me at the moment, so the mid 5's / low 6's are a win for me..

I've seen Hugs given for 6s, as if a 6 were "bad," when IMO a 6.anything is a fine number. I see people praised for having "good" numbers as if this were some sort of scored event. If I were T1 I would be very careful of my BG numbers because I would have to adjust insulin, etc., to raise or lower them. But I'm not gonna shave layers off my Metformin tablets in an attempt to affect my FBG, or weigh out my peanut butter before I stir it into my oatmeal.

Last edited:

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Been a bit off-grid, off message etc. Family bereavement. Back on the wagon yesterday.

FBG 7.7 mmo/lt at 0600. BTW, that keto bread idea is a dead end, waste of money. Hi-Lo bread from Sainsbury at 5g of carb a slice is the way to go.

Someone said sea shanties. I can find the tenor range, out on the water. Drives away fears of the deep.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clyde The Camel here, reporting in to wish you all a Wonderful Wednesday :)

giphy.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Been a bit off-grid, off message etc. Family bereavement. Back on the wagon yesterday.

FBG 7.7 mmo/lt at 0600. BTW, that keto bread idea is a dead end, waste of money. Hi-Lo bread from Sainsbury at 5g of carb a slice is the way to go.

Someone said sea shanties. I can find the tenor register, out on the water. Drives away fears of the deep.

I am sorry to hear about your family bereavement.

I thought the same as you about trying to make keto bread. I'd rather just buy a loaf of lower-carb bread at the grocery store. Let the bakery do the work, I'll do the eating.

t1944.gif

I've loved swimming in deep water -- in swimming pools. Twelve feet is a good dive, but the other night I was watching a program about a submarine and when they mentioned the depth to which it was diving I got the gruesome shivers at the thought of any body of water being that deep.

t31110.gif

I caught a few minutes of your team playing Everton this weekend and wondered how you were doing. Glad to see you back here.
c0139.gif

Reactions: True Blue

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for the chance to catch up; a little though. To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow.

The wonder wheel of warm days, balmy nights and mosquito bites held forth a 4.9 this am - due probably, and in part, to some Chateau Des Tourtes that my father likes and that my French brother in law brought in now dwindling quantities. I can spy just one case and that bereft of a bottle.

Dad’s birthday went without a hitch and we indulged in a three course daily changing set lunch in a fairly new place called Restaurant Son' that seems to be growing in popularity and is quite close to where my niece lives - as one of my brothers commented - “excellent food, wonderfully presented and introduced but we now need to call in for a take away on the way back”.

Have a great day if you can, hugs to those who need one.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And as for being Main Page...mmhh

While we lose the Footprint for new visitors, I quite like the fact we ARE a little more low profile.
@jjraak I like it also that we are a little more low profile. Also I really like that we are not confrontational here and no furious arguments occur.

@Debandez I was so tempted to do a swear word test but thought I would leave it to you.

Nearly forgot to post. 5.6 so back to normal.

Reactions: HarryBeau

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So cheers @OldButBold & all you lovely e-friends on here, for just making THIS thread so warm, carrying and inviting, every visit...

Couldn't have said it better, if I could 'sticky' a post it would be this one ;)

Does that mean we can swear and get away with it? Shall we do a test!!! :)

Sadly it's an automatic bleep-out, humans come along after to smack your hands :)

I agree with @SaskiaKC regarding the likes and stuff, most of the time I don't know which is appropriate in relation to scores. I adopted an 'under 6' is a winner but that doesn't always work, so now I pay more interest to the story. I have to say, as an aspie, you lot are enlightening as far as social interaction goes. I learn a lot and sometimes think I should send more aspies here :):):)

And in todays news... my world of T2 confusion meant I awoke to a 5.6, still taking antib's and steroids. Makes no sense :)

Enjoy the day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Read through several posts with tear stained eyes from Spurs' abject surrender last night so forgive me if this isn't too accurate. @trick60 good grouping sir and @Krystyna23040 back in the groove. @Muddy Cyclist another who finds the LC wake too early problem I have often read about. @jjraak and @OldButBold good points about context and almost competitive edge with just numbers. This thread benefits from the lack of Ultras/Spartans that pontificate elsewhere IMHO. @True Blue hugs for bereavement and I totally agree about LC/Keto bread. 4 years of failed attempts so we now just buy skinny bread mix 0.2 gms carb per 35 gm slice. @Debandez new house still being held for us by builder's agent while we re-market or just stay put. @karen8967 have a great day with grandson who I imagine adores you.
https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-cooking/74-skinny-low-carb-brown-bread-roll-mix-5905279424814.html

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and holders of Blue Peter badges who will of course have prepared for national bin day. Don't you just love a goody two shoes?

Ahh the revenge of the meter this morning, it noisily spat out a 7.7 which waved 2 fingers in the air at me and disappeared in a cloud of methane.

Swearing or rather typing known swear words is a waste of time, the program just changes them, yep I've done it, the challenge is to use another word which will convey the meaning. It's not difficult.
I must go now Mrs J has stirred from her pit / lair and will issuing demands and orders.
Have a good day folks.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 for me at 5 am and 9 hours fast, will wait until 8am before breakfast to ensure I fast 12 hours and see what my BG reading is then.
And now 5.8 so not a lot of difference between last night 5 am and 12 hours fasting.

@SaskiaKC I agree about post ratings but some times you want to give more than one rating and also it's not like being with the member face to face to read their emotions and make the appropriate response, I try to do as @OldButBold does rather than react to the BG score but it's never easy to know if you have responded correctly. What is important is members are reading our posts and offering support even if at times they are getting it slightly wrong.

@ianpspurs thanks for the link. For me the Low Carb bread even at 5grm per slice shoots my BG up even with one slice and yet 2 Rivita biscuits coming in at 10grms of carbs do not so I will be giving the mix ago.

I can hear the forest calling and the sun is back so off to enjoy a muddy bike ride.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning,
Leftie Renault passed his MOT yesterday. The man giving us a loft conversion quote should have been here at 7.30, Mr B got up and is still waiting.
Badge buying for me later. I am 4

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. A very disturbed night with tummy ache mainly on the sofa with Bobs so not surprised a 6.6 at 08.00. But context is everything. It is important I think to understand and respect that we all have our desired levels and I think our friendship group does that. Loving the latest emoticons @SaskiaKC and @gennepher. clever and very funny. @OldButBold hope the meds are doing their thing and you are taking it easy. @ianpspurs sorry about last night I well understand how these things affect wellbeing. @Debandez you are like a whirlwind, cooking for BIL, painting, trying to get the DN on side and Eric is indeed a prince among princes. @karen8967 enjoy your day with your grandson. @True Blue condolences for the family bereavement ...hope you get out on the water to sing sea shanties soon. @HarryBeau sounds like an exhausting day and hug for the cramps.
Well wrap up warm everyone. Nice to see the sun again even if its a brief visit before Lorenzo gets here. A quiet day for me. Stay well, stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday is obviously force field analysis day - I think it is really another way of saying context. Fbg was 5.8 and weight record day was 11 st 13.4 ( 75.7 kgs and BMI 22.7) - highest since approx 2016. Context = 7 day trend of 19 gms carb and 1400 cals, 67% fat and 10% carbs. 2 BPH drugs adversely affect insulin resistance and sleeping. A 4 day period of gout control which most experts say is adversely affected by high% fat in diet and curtails exercise. Being treated with chemo for non invasive bladder cancer. I daily plan and analyse my menu in an app called cronometer trying to hit 30 gms fibre,20 gms carb or less but hitting all the vitamins and minerals it analyses. I have no idea how to judge the effectiveness of LC in that context or even if it is a sensible approach to managing the situation. I am very results driven and this is an interesting challenge. Rambling post but follows on from @jjraak, @SaskiaKC @OldButBold and @Krystyna23040 pointing out importance of context.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

It's very windy here this morning and it's a cold and ''lazy' wind blowing from the sea at that ;) but the sun is shining in through the window at the moment and it's lovely inside, plus coffee is in process as I type :)

hope your day treats you kindly :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some times exercise can deliver such disappointing BG results. After a very enjoyable Aerobic, muddy, sunny and exhilarating 2 hour Mountain Bike ride a hungry Dracula gives me a 6.9, maybe I should consider becoming a couch potato? Yes I know exercise can put BG up but I always expect it to be lower:(

Ah well, sun is still brightening up the day and Mrs MC left me a list of jobs to be done so no time for sitting about, must get on.

Oh, and Im a fan of all the rambling, informative post, positive attitudes and support, keep it up everyone. For those that like Sea Shanties I will sing them out loud whilst doing Mrs MC's jobs although me on my own ain't half as good as our folk bands renditions but you'll just have to use your imagination.