New T2D diagnosis.

Trayo

Today I was finally diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, with my HBA1C being 95.

I've been monitoring my bloods for a month, and my lowest reading so far has been 13.2.

My highest?

27.6, this morning.

I've been started on metformin and ramipril, as my BP has shot up since my sugars have. Average bp is around 180/107.

I've felt so ill, with headaches, blurred vision, feeling of confusion, lack of balance. I've had to go to hospital twice in the last week with HHNK.

The thing is, even though I've drastically changed my diet in accordance with recommendations, my levels have not improved.

We have no family history of diabetes. One of the A&E docs is concerned about liver swelling and tenderness, so I'm now waiting for further tests on that.

Is it such a rollercoaster for everyone?

Paulm80

You need to get on the low carb train, about 20gs a day, your numbers will come down pretty quickly

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Trayo and welcome to the best little corner of the internet for type 2s and the club no one wants to join.
First let me post a link to our useful info for newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
you’ll notice there’s a lot of info on carbohydrates. Carbohydrates turn to sugar once eaten so are not good for us type 2s.
You say you are following a “diet in accordance with recommendations”, but if that’s NHS advice then unfortunately what’s recommended for healthy people won’t suit us. The basic premise of blood sugar control that many of us use is to reduce carbs and to replace the energy lost by raising our intake of healthy fat intake to compensate.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Trayo and welcome to the best little corner of the internet for type 2s and the club no one wants to join.
First let me post a link to our useful info for newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
you’ll notice there’s a lot of info on carbohydrates. Carbohydrates turn to sugar once eaten so are not good for us type 2s.
You say you are following a “diet in accordance with recommendations”, but if that’s NHS advice then unfortunately what’s recommended for healthy people won’t suit us. The basic premise of blood sugar control that many of us use is to reduce carbs and to replace the energy lost by raising our intake of healthy fat intake to compensate.

"welcome to the best little corner of the internet for type 2s and the club no one wants to join." This made me laugh.

Oscarbeaumont

Dont panic, it can take time, Rome was not built in a day. Im another one recommending low carb, weight does come off pretty well and you dont feel like you are cutting down, well I dont anyway. Try and keep as active as you can, and I know its hard when your feeling pretty awful, but trust me it will help. As for roller coasters, yes absolutely. I was diagnosed with a Hba1C of 65 on 25 March this year and on 1 November it was 47, Ive lost three and half stones as well. I felt like I was in a straightjacket and I would never eat anything nice again, but that feeling went as the weight came off and my Hba1c came down. My blood pressure was on average 210 over 100 which was terrible and Ive been taking Rampiril and Amlodopine and its down to 138 over 70 and feel very well now. Weight it still coming off as well - Ive gone from a dress size 22 to a 14 so not bad. Keep the faith, this is a great place to go on for help and support. Try low carb, it really does work and its not that hard to follow as well.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that either you are not a typical type two as they see lower BG levels when they stop eating carbohydrate, or you are following poor advice and are still eating too much sugar and starch.
At least you appear to have access to a meter and can test your levels.
What is your diet like? Can you give us a typical day's menu?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, do make sure you are reducing the carbs. That BS level of 27.6 is very high. Although many of us have been even higher at diagnosis it is a potentially dangerous level if it continues. Do go to A&E if you continue to feel unwell or the BS goes higher as DKA is always possible. Can I ask if you are overweight or slim? If slim or have lost weight recently without trying then you could be late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. This does need immediate medication if that's the case. It sounds like there may be some other condition causing you to feel unwell so do keep in touch with the GP or A&E

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I was finally diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, with my HBA1C being 95.

I've been monitoring my bloods for a month, and my lowest reading so far has been 13.2.

My highest?

27.6, this morning.

I've been started on metformin and ramipril, as my BP has shot up since my sugars have. Average bp is around 180/107.

I've felt so ill, with headaches, blurred vision, feeling of confusion, lack of balance. I've had to go to hospital twice in the last week with HHNK.

The thing is, even though I've drastically changed my diet in accordance with recommendations, my levels have not improved.

We have no family history of diabetes. One of the A&E docs is concerned about liver swelling and tenderness, so I'm now waiting for further tests on that.

Is it such a rollercoaster for everyone?
You "drastically changed your diet in accordance with recommendations", but ah... You didn't mention in what way. If you're not eating low carb, then you will keep seeing high numbers and your blood pressure will remain high too. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read here for a quick-start guide. Won't cost you anything, just clarifies some stuff and will help you decide on what groceries to go for from here on in. Because what is considered a healthy diet by most, is everything but healthy for people with a metabolic disorder called Diabetes Type 2... Good luck!
Jo

Trayo

I've reduced carbs. I've changed by following recommendations on the Diabetes UK info.

Metformin has made me feel lousy! Gripes, urges - all very difficult to manage when you have a neurological disease - and continence issues

The nurse I saw today described me as "atypical and complex", and said I will need a lot of professional input.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've reduced carbs. I've changed by following recommendations on the Diabetes UK info.

Metformin has made me feel lousy! Gripes, urges - all very difficult to manage when you have a neurological disease - and continence issues

The nurse I saw today described me as "atypical and complex", and said I will need a lot of professional input.

If this is the advice you are following:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/food-and-diabetes/i-have-type-2-diabetes
then unfortunately it’s still too high in Carbs for most of us type 2s. I take Metformin and had stomach upsets for around the first week to ten days. You’ll probably find that by reducing your carbs much further by cutting out cereals, bread, past, rice and potatoes, not only will it reduce your blood sugars but your upset stomach may well resolve. If it doesn’t it might be worth asking for the slow release version which is better tolerated.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Trayo
My nurse told me the side effects from the metformin (living in the bathroom, absolutely miserable) probably meant I was a T1 instead. Nope. Just a T2, and with cutting down my carbs I could ditch all medication. Normal bloodsugars, everything a-okay. No reason why you shouldn't be able to do that, too.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If the Metformin problems don't fade away then insist that your GP/DN changes the script to Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much kinder.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read on the forum, before I was prescribed metformin, about the issues and asked my DN for the slow release version. I have never had an issue with them, I am lucky. If swapping to SR does not help, there are plenty of people on the forum who choose not to take metformin. It does help with stopping the liver dump and also is an appetite suppresant. I also have neurological issues, so feel your pain.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you decide to keep to a strict very low carb diet, your blood pressure may drop quickly, so be aware of that risk and see your GB if you get the symptoms of low BP, as the ramipril may need reducing.

Personally if it was me, given your BG levels I would just eat/drink beaf (with a little salt) and eggs along with drinking lots of water for a few days. This will show you the effect you can get from a very low carb diet, without you having to spend time first learning about carb levels in different foods.

Have as long as possible between the last meal of one day and the first meal of the next day - breakfast is not a required meal.

Until your BG is getting under control, limit exercise to slow walking. Idealy whenever not sleeping stand up and walk about ever 20 minutes for a few minutes.

If your BG does not start dropping doing the above, it is unlikely you have type2. Your morning BG is likely to be the last to drop.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After about 5 weeks taking Metformin and Atorvastatin I was a total wreck, physically and mentally. I threw them away and went on eating a low carb diet, no more than 50 gm of carb a day. I never needed the tablets.
Can you describe a typical day's menu and maybe we can see if there is a problem to be addressed.

Reemap

Hi .. just try cauliflower rice for few days along with egg, fish and chicken... I think it will help.. that helped me a lot to get the number down. I got by HBA1c from 7.0 to 4.2 in three months ..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Just it is not uncommon for the first few days/weeks after diagnosis to be a bit of a roller coaster.

But you have found the best place to get advice and support. This site has many many people who have been where you are now.

I'm another who suggests low carbs It is not something that is always recommended by the medical professionals- but following the advice you have been given is clearly not working for you.

A lot of the medical profession cling the the false belief that most diabetics can tolerate 'good carbs' the reality is that most of us can't. When your blood sugar levels are high you need to change what you eat or take more medication.

This site has a lot low information on low carb- try it- what have you got to lose. Make sure you keep monitoring your blood sugar levels- if they get too high or too low make sure you seek medical attention immediately. If you try low carbing it may take a while for the levels to come down to 'normal' levels but they should start going lower quickly.

A couple of things- search the site for dawn phenomena and false hypos.

Good luck- let us know how you get on. I promise the information you need is on this site and there are a lot of people willing to give advice and support- you are not alone in this the club is pretty big.

Good luck and welcome.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hi,

Sorry to hear that . I was diagnosed recently 2.

Just please ask your doctor to test your anti bodies for type 1.5 . It’s also called LADA. Pls Google it .

Also make sure they test our insulin level and c peptite . If your doctor does not do that , I would fire them and get a different doctor.

Things will get better . Please don’t loose hope . We have diabetes but diabetes does not have us . We are not alone

Once you find the right doctor , everything will be ok .