New Here with Type 2

Gladys12216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with attitude and Liars
I am happy to be on here as I get confused most of the time. I am 61+ yrs old. I was Diagnosed in 2018 and been on Tablets but recently my sugar has been fluctuating and started getting numbing pains down my left arm to my fingers, now my middle and forth fingers feel numb always and tingly at times.
I started the Intermittent fasting on Monday and my weight has gone down from 112kg to 108kg. The AM's are fasting and PM's are after the fasting which I do from 22:30 to 14:30
My reading for the past 3 days are
28th Jan 6.7/5.8%

29th Jan AM 9.5/7.7%

29th Jan PM 10.3/8.1%

29th Jan PM 8.5/7.0%

30th Jan AM 10.3/8.1%
Just wanted to know if I am being paranoid or not

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

You readings are a bit confusing.. are you in the UK?
The units are probably mmol/l raher than %?

Well done on the weight loss.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am happy to be on here as I get confused most of the time. I am 61+ yrs old. I was Diagnosed in 2018 and been on Tablets but recently my sugar has been fluctuating and started getting numbing pains down my left arm to my fingers, now my middle and forth fingers feel numb always and tingly at times.
I started the Intermittent fasting on Monday and my weight has gone down from 112kg to 108kg. The AM's are fasting and PM's are after the fasting which I do from 22:30 to 14:30
28th Jan 6.7/5.8%

29th Jan AM 9.5/7.7%

29th Jan PM 10.3/8.1%

29th Jan PM 8.5/7.0%

30th Jan AM 10.3/8.1%
Can you tell us what you are eating, how you are testing and which measurement scale you are using?

Gladys12216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The readings are both mmol/l and A1C%.
And yes i am in the UK but away at the moment.
Thank you for the encouragement on my weight loss

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why did you put hba1c next to your readings? Hba1c is a 3 month average reading. Do you know your hba1c? And grats on your weight loss.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
28th Jan 6.7/5.8%

29th Jan AM 9.5/7.7%

29th Jan PM 10.3/8.1%

29th Jan PM 8.5/7.0%

30th Jan AM 10.3/8.1%
"Just" fasting isn't going to cut it if you load up on carbs when you break the fast. IF is something you do hand-in-hand with either LCHF or keto, if you want to see a big difference. Check this out for a little more info: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

You're not being paranoid. Your bloodsugars are higher than they should be. They fluctuate, but that's what blood sugars do: they're up and down all day, every day. The goal is to not have the ups and downs be too big. The testing you've been doing doesn't tell us very specific things, other than that you're running higher than you should be. Try testing before a meal and 2 hours after. You don't want to see a spike of more than 2.0 mmol/l. (If it's 2.0 mmol/l or lower, your body is adequately handling the carbs you put in there.) If you cut carbs and practice IF, you should be seeing numbers in the normal range pretty soon. And if you have the willpower to do IF, I'm certain you can do Keto/LCHF too.

Good luck!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you getting daily HbA1c especially ones that are so volatile?

Gladys12216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can you tell us what you are eating, how you are testing and which measurement scale you are using?
With the intermittent fasting my lunch today as an example comprises of Unpolished rice with plantain and steamed bean cake with fish and for later I will be having Leafy salad with grilled chicken lap and having balck tea and or Hibiscus tea with water all day.
Am testing is after my shower and PM testing is after my meal. mmol/l and A1C%

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you getting daily HbA1c especially ones that are so volatile?
I suspect the mmol/L value is just being put into a convertor as the average BG value.

@Gladys12216 whilst you can work out your 'average' BG* from an HbA1C result, you can't convert a single blood test value into an HbA1C value - as its an average of 3 months, all that one finger prick test tells you is what you were at that exact point in time.

*Noting that as with all averages it only tells half the story anyways - for instance someone who stayed between 4 an 6 could have the same average as someone who swung wildly between 2 and 12

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the intermittent fasting my lunch today as an example comprises of Unpolished rice with plantain and steamed bean cake with fish and for later I will be having Leafy salad with grilled chicken lap and having balck tea and or Hibiscus tea with water all day.
Am testing is after my shower and PM testing is after my meal. mmol/l and A1C%
That's a LOT of carbs.... You can practice Intermittent Fasting 'till the cows come home, your spikes will stay with you if you keep eating like that. Carbs, and that is ALL carbs, turn to glucose once ingested. Basically, putting it rather dramatically, rice is poison to a type 2 diabetic. Banana's are pure sugar, you're almost better off downing a coke. Beans? Too starchy. You really do have to go back to the drawing board here... Because if you test so long after your dinner, and don't check two hours after lunch, you've not seen the biggest rises in your blood sugars... What you're measuring is the come-down. Which is still high quite a few hours after you've eaten. Honestly... Try 3 eggs, a handful of bacon and some cheese. It'll fill you up and it won't do anything to your blood sugars. Practically no carbs in there and mmm-mmm good!