Type 1 Pilot class 1 medical

Jack06

To get a class 1 medical for commercial flying in the uk, do you have to have previously had a class 1 before being diagnosed with t1d it can you get one with for the first time?

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Put it this way, DVLA Revoked my Lorry and Bus provisional Entitlements.

I doubt youd be allowed to even have A Pilots License because of potential hypos

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I doubt youd be allowed to even have A Pilots License because of potential hypos

You can get the lorry and bus entitlements back I believe, but you do have to renew the license every year and always have 3 months of reading available afaik

I know there is one T1 forum member with a pilots license, though can't remember who - though I believe he had the license before getting T1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To get a class 1 medical for commercial flying in the uk, do you have to have previously had a class 1 before being diagnosed with t1d it can you get one with for the first time?

Jack, we have a member here who is a commercial pilot. I'm racking my brains for his name, so give me a few minutes to have a click around. I'll tag my colleagues @Juicyj and @Brunneria whose memories might be better than mine.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, not on here too often!

Currently you do need to be a current class 1 medical holder when diagnosed with T1D. That may change in the future like it did for HIV pilots.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

That’s standard, and the case for everyone. I got mine back after a series of medicals, wasn’t too difficult.