Confused and upset

Seriously

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 yesterday, after a random blood test. The result was 191 MG/DL, and I was sent on my way with medication. Feeling lost, confused and angry. Also reading conflicting results as to Pre diabetes or diabetes type 2, with a value of 191. HELP PLEASE

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 yesterday, after a random blood test. The result was 191 MG/DL, and I was sent on my way with medication. Feeling lost, confused and angry. Also reading conflicting results as to Pre diabetes or diabetes type 2, with a value of 191. HELP PLEASE
More details are needed: is it a fasting blood glucose test? What is your hba1c? Once these are clear members will give lots of tips. Anyway, there is no need to worry, most of us here have been there once. As a start, you need to cut down on ingestion of sugars (white, brown, refined, etc) and starchy foods (potatoes, etc) and junk food. After a few weeks you will start to see very encouraging results.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a breath. it is not the end of the world by any means.

The first thing to understand is that T2 is a metabolic disorder. It means that you cannot process carbohydrates. Cut out the carbs and you have every chance of reverting to non-diabetic levels. Read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

Reactions: ert and Seriously

Seriously

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More details are needed: is it a fasting blood glucose test? What is your hba1c? Once these are clear members will give lots of tips. Anyway, there is no need to worry, most of us here have been there once. As a start, you need to cut down on ingestion of sugars (white, brown, refined, etc) and starchy foods (potatoes, etc) and junk food. After a few weeks you will start to see very encouraging results.
Hi no not fasting, random. And no idea about hba1c? It was done as MG/DL. Which is also confusing me!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like you are in the US. They use a diffrent measuring system us us in the UK. It is easily converted. HbA1c is a blood test that measures your average glucose in your system over the last three months.

Seriously

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like you are in the US. They use a diffrent measuring system us us in the UK. It is easily converted. HbA1c is a blood test that measures your average glucose in your system over the last three months.
Hi, am in Dubai. How do I convert it?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the U.K. you are not diagnosed from random bgl. They may indicate the need for a fasting bgl and an hb1ac though.

Seriously

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the U.K. you are not diagnosed from random bgl. They may indicate the need for a fasting bgl and an hb1ac though.
I wasn't told anything, just to take meds, no other tests mentioned. I feel lost. Do I just get on with it, or go somewhere else for more tests?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No time is a good time to get a diagnosis but at the moment, with other things going on.
There are a range of diabetes that can be managed in different ways.
It is important to find out more about your test. It is likely you should get a HbA1c, that is a measure of the level of glucose has been in your system, how much glucose your hemoglobin is carrying.
On this forum a fair number of Type 2 members have reduced the amount of carbohydrates they eat to their bodies have less glucose to process and there are a lot of success stories to go with.
It's a shock to be diagnosed, came out of the blue for me. I've managed with exercise and diet. There are down days when it is hard, but that's life.
Have a look round the forum. If you see a post from one of the Moderators, they often have links to lots of good stuff.
Take care
Hj

Reactions: Seriously

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly I’d do two things.
1. Get a diagnostic test. Random testing is not diagnostic.
2. Cut carbs as there’s probably some kind of issue that needs addressing

see my signature below for useful links.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wo that’s serious medication on the basis of one random bgl and usually only indicated if lifestyle and milder meds fail.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your shoes I’d be seeking second opinion and changing diet. Are you able to see the links in my signature?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Janumet 50mg/500mg
Metformin HCI
Interesting. Dr Google says Janumet is already a mix of metformin (reduces sugar produced by liver) and sitagliptin (increases insulin production) so I'm not sure why you've got the metformin twice. And it seems a lot of medication to be put on with only one single blood test as a diagnostic.

A few questions
1) Did your doctor discuss what to do in the (unlikely but possible) event that you get side effects from either drug
2) Do you have or can you get a blood testing meter? Your reading corresponds to about 10.5 in the units we have here (divide by 18), so it is out of range (non diabetics would typically be less than 8) but you really need a meter to see if for you that is a relatively high reading as a result of eating a packet of something sugary or a relatively low reading as a result of having fasted for 6 hours. Most doctors that I know would do an hba1c test, as that gives you an idea as to your average levels for the last 3 months.

Many many T2s on here have started with extremely high blood sugars and hba1cs and reduced these levels dramatically just by diet. However, I don't know your personal circumstances/health history and your doctor does.

Wo that’s serious medication on the basis of one random bgl.
Exactly what I was thinking, but we don't know @Seriously 's medical background and we aren't doctors.....

Reactions: NicoleC1971

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the U.K. that random level (10.6mmol) is not diabetic. Not great but not diabetic. See post #10