Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Having the front windows washed today, and the cars out front too. Feels good to be able to socially distance invite back someone who may have been feeling the pinch for the past few weeks.
I tidied up the patch below the front window yesterday, so he’s a chance of reaching the glass. Lots and lots of wisteria flowers revealed, and the scent, wow. Why does our wisteria so love putting out leaves? It’s trimmed back to bare stem every year, but still it goes ahead to reach its goal of being the best Green Man.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know why there are so many of us in Finland?

I've read of a few theories over the years, one being that it's a clean hygienic country and the kids dont develop antibodies, that came from a comparison of neighbouring Russia who don't have the same levels of T1 but I'd put it down to a cinnamon shortage :p

@kev-w I don't think work outdoors where you're on your own was ever stopped; I have a friend who's a gardener and she can work - and has - quite safely without having to go near anyone. I understand that your work is different in that people may not want someone around their home, even if outside. My friend's clients have all wanted her to continue.

I packed up the window cleaning as handing money could have had me distributing the virus to my old customers in the form of change and to avoid the paying in queue at the small bank, and the 'order' was to cease all but essential work and window cleaning isn't 'essential' and involves travelling and dealing with people so I think I made the right choice. :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That was nice. Just had a cheerful call from one of the nurses at the GP surgery who was checking in with all those with diabetes on their list and not one I remember talking to before so I was possibly a bit more chatty about filling her in on my history. (Or maybe it was just nice to talk to someone other than myself!!)

She concluded I was fine and knew what I was doing once I'd finished getting all technical about altered Current Situation ratios and possible insulin resistance with lack of my usual amounts of walking exercise. I also reassured her I had adequate supplies of all I needed, that as far as I could tell my feet and eyes were fine, though I will get my feet checked the first chance I get as it's been over a year since they last got prodded, and had all the phone numbers for both them and the clinic in my phones should I need them. The fact she admitted she was possibly teaching me to suck eggs was utterly splendid!! It was a very pleasant experience and I have noted her name for another time.

Last load of curtains on the line drying. Not as nice a day for the job as yesterday, but very satisfying to have crossed that one off the annual jobs list.

I must admit, if the restrictions ease enough after the weekend, I will be doing my best to get back to my usual amount of walking at my usual kinds of times, in readiness for a return to work, though I'm still likely to be one of the last called back in depending on students' needs.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

My symptoms are the same, I’m not getting better and I’m not getting worse. Manager insists I must return to work on Monday, apparently the government? or somewhere or someone said you can return to work with a cough now and you are not as contagious after 14 days. Also you can still have symptoms up to 10 weeks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MeiChanski Glad your not getting worse, sorry but cannot comment on your back to work status, @Brunneria has been really good with information on this so tagging her in.

My personal advice regardless of contagion etc etc is simply how well do you feel ? if you're not capable of working as still feeling unwell then you shouldn't be returning to work and your employer cannot force you.

Reactions: karen8967

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@kev-w I don't think work outdoors where you're on your own was ever stopped; I have a friend who's a gardener and she can work - and has - quite safely without having to go near anyone. I understand that your work is different in that people may not want someone around their home, even if outside. My friend's clients have all wanted her to continue.

Woke on 7.5, just got back from an hou'rs walk on 5.9 and gradually declining, lovely morning walk today so I'm a happy bunny in lovely Somerset. Hope you all have good, safe days.
My husband is self employed and currently cuts lawns one day per week and works on a farm another day.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon all. On the road today, and a lovely day it is to be driving around our lovely Welsh roads :)

593E0ECE-136D-4A3C-A806-8639FACEBCDE.jpeg

Reactions: Japes and karen8967

npatel19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is doing okay, I went out for my first walk today after two and a half months of being inside and letting my fear / anxiety control me. I’d actually forgotten how refreshing it feels to get fresh air. Hopefully can continue to do it once a day as I know how essential exercise is for my diabetes and I have IBS too. Just need to learn to control this darn fear and my mind.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good evening, not a lot to report, bit like groundhog day ( diabetes excluded, up and down like a yoyo :rolleyes:)
Yesterday I had a my re-booked eye laser appointment on my left eye, so walked there and back ( plus I had to wear a mask, which was too big, so the consultant had to put two pieces of tape across my nose to keep the mask on) lasering not pleasant at times, but it's done now and I will be reviewed in 10 to 12 weeks time.
Take good care and be safe :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning all, the sun is shining and it's going to be another sunny, hot day.
No real VE day 75th anniversary celebrations, but remembering all the brave people and what they went through in WW11.
On a happier note, my mum and dad and their families would of been celebrating, but also getting everything ready for their marriage, 4 days later on the 12th May 1945 <3
DSC_1249 - Edited.jpg
XX

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all, the sun is shining and it's going to be another sunny, hot day.
No real VE day 75th anniversary celebrations, but remembering all the brave people and what they went through in WW11.
On a happier note, my mum and dad and their families would of been celebrating, but also getting everything ready for their marriage, 4 days later on the 12th May 1945 <3
View attachment 41171 XX
They look so happy.

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all. My parents were still in the Far East 75 years ago, so even though the news of Europe’s cessations reached them, the hostilities went on for them.
I think I’m a bit of a sore thumb with VE Day. I’m pleased we can celebrate that it ended, but I’d like to see less of the Union Jack: we shouldn’t forget that there were other allies involved in bringing it all to an end.

What I’d really really like to see is a whole load of doves and olive branches.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think I have read that they believe now several different genes make certain people susceptible to the virus that causes T1. The belief is the genes originated in a certain area. Norse background, vikings? But most likely Northern European descent. Who knows? It's just luck who inherits the gene and then you get exposed and react to the virus that starts it.

Reactions: hh1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Nothing much to report here. Bloods ticking along very nicely, plans to try to block out the sounds of what I am convinced is going to be a noisy day around here judging by some unprecedented activity in some normally neglected gardens and possibly some cake later.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think I have read that they believe now several different genes make certain people susceptible to the virus that causes T1. The belief is the genes originated in a certain area. Norse background, vikings? But most likely Northern European descent. Who knows? It's just luck who inherits the gene and then you get exposed and react to the virus that starts it.
Interesting. The virus that kicks off T1 is still being pursued. I suspect there are other routes to becoming T1 too, as well as horrid cancers and pancreatitis, but all gene and virus hypotheses are still being researched. I really hope an answer’s found in my lifetime as I’d love to know.