What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 14.7 Tea and co-codamol

11.15 BG 15.3 Insulin and mushroom soup. Carbs and calories pretty low. But I'm still hungry so don't suppose I'll last out for very long and will have some smoked mackerel pate for lunch, on cucumber and celery . Don't have any lettuce in the house.

That means I will probably have dinner as well, this evening. Probably scrambled eggs with some tomatoes. Had enough mushroom for one day. I'll see if I can muster the energy to be inventive.

Very weary today and chest feeling sore again - I thought I'd got rid of that. I wonder how long this will keep going. Also wonder, if there is some damage to my lungs (maybe not much), have other, more vulnerable, bits been affected. Maybe that's why BG is going daft these days.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just realised, I wrote that I had "insulin and mushroom soup". Just to make it clear, I don't add the insulin to the soup. I should have said "insulin, then mushroom soup". Just being pedantic really. Sorry.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the onion with chips bit (used to do that all the time) and not averse to the odd bit of mayo on top, but not for chip shop chips! Peanut sauce as well - that’s like @DJC3 ’s granddaughter :hilarious:

Never could take either salt or vinegar on chip shop chips. Home made, just salt. Never vinegar. I do use vinegar when I pickle cabbage and onions, but it's always let down with water. No sugar of course, maybe that's the difference.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found this recipe for pickled eggs on the internet (https://www.eggs.ca/recipes/pickled-eggs) using half water and half vinegar. Also uses sugar, of course, but I don't think that would be necessary.

• 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
  • 1 cup (250 mL) white vinegar
  • 1 cup (250 mL) water
  • 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp (10 mL) pickling spice
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) salt

Instructions
  1. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spices and salt in small saucepan.
  2. Bring to boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain liquid through sieve or cheesecloth, if desired.
  3. Place eggs in 4-cup (1 L) jar with lid. Pour hot liquid over eggs into each jar; Cover jar with lid.
  4. Refrigerate for at least two days before using.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

An almost OMAD day - starter just happened to be about 3 hours before the main course.

Starter was streaky bacon crisped in the air fryer and used to scoop up some sour cream. Yummy.
Main course was slow cooked lamb breast with butter, rosemary, garlic and lemon. Also really tasty. Followed up with a small pot of Yeo Valley organic Greek yoghurt.

863FA6FF-D4AC-4872-A13B-D5FD111885ED.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Just vinegar. I use the white malt vinegar.
I love pickled gherkins too, but I’ve found it surprisingly hard to find them without sweetened vinegar.
@DJC3 Lidl pickled cornichons have a massive 1.5g carbs per 100g. Would these be suitable for you?

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I fully agree with the chips part but putting vinegar on your chips still baffles me. Chips are eaten with mayonnaise, or with mayonnaise, peanut sauce and some cut onion.

In fact, the vinegar thing has me so puzzled I might even have to confirm I still can't dose correctly for chips when I come over to the UK. I just can't imagine the taste so I'll have to try.
And if I order a pickled egg to go with it I'll have that puzzling dish covered as well :happy:
Just remember that not all English people put vinegar on their chips.

Reactions: Chook

Colinthejock

This morning I had 2 shredded wheat with unsweetened almond milk and strawberries for sweetness.
This evening I am having roast chicken with broccoli, fine beans, swede mash and goose fat roasties. Should skip the roasties but just can't resist them

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning 3 streaky bacon rashers and 2 fried eggs.

I'm experimenting for dinner with strips of chicken breasts, coated with ground flaxseed and KFC type spices, and cooked in the oven - I might dribble a bit of bacon fat over the top in the hope it'll make the coating crispy. Half an avocado mashed with chillies and avocado oil to make a nice sauce to go with it..

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ever tried Yorkshire pudding with syrup?

You've reminded me of what my mother used to love, leftover puddings buttered and sprinkled with sugar..... definitely not nice, no, no way is that nice..... no not nice at all....:(

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be like having Yorkshire puddings without gravy. ;)
Ever tried Yorkshire pudding with syrup?
[Googles Yorkshire pudding.]
But I also think your gravy is not the same thing as ours...
You've reminded me of what my mother used to love, leftover puddings buttered and sprinkled with sugar..... definitely not nice, no, no way is that nice..... no not nice at all....:(
That's what my mother did with leftover pasta or rice :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I eat all! The skin/rind consists of mozzarella, the filling is a mixture of mozzarella and cream.
I'll use the last bit of my burrata after typing this post, which will be day 3 :)
With mozzarella or cream, it's easy to know if it's gone off: it gets sour. So to my thinking, as long as it doesn't taste sour it's fine to eat :)

That's what I did, blanch them and fill them with 'surimi salad' from Aldi. I'll update on the result as soon as I've eaten, which should be in 10 minutes :)

I'm going to find out what malt vinegar translates to in Dutch and I'll have a go at it!

Alas, they don't deliver to the Netherlands so my pickled eggs will be a DIY job. I don't think I've ever heard someone from my country say they've eaten pickled eggs, it's just not a thing.

Do you eat pickled eggs just as they are as a snack or do you use them in meals?
I have to agree you have not lived until you have tasted pickled eggs - funny DIY job

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully agree with the chips part but putting vinegar on your chips still baffles me. Chips are eaten with mayonnaise, or with mayonnaise, peanut sauce and some cut onion.

In fact, the vinegar thing has me so puzzled I might even have to confirm I still can't dose correctly for chips when I come over to the UK. I just can't imagine the taste so I'll have to try.
And if I order a pickled egg to go with it I'll have that puzzling dish covered as well :happy:
I used to love a bag of chips from the chip shop with salt, vinegar and brown chippie sauce on them - especially on a cold winters night - those were the days BEFORE my diabetes came along and put an end to that :hungry:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does make me go a bit Arrrggh! But there again we were brought up on French Toast (or eggy bread) fried in butter then dipped in sugar. I confess I did the same thing to son and grandkids (although now son is watching his bread intake and I got him using monk fruit. He's not diabetic but no harm in minimising risks.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to love a bag of chips from the chip shop with salt, vinegar and brown chippie sauce on them - especially on a cold winters night - those were the days BEFORE my diabetes came along and put an end to that :hungry:
Yes, we're very much in a brown sauce area. It came in concentrated in large containers which were decanted and diluted. You used to ask "salt 'n sauce" so often I'd even be saying it in my sleep.

Reactions: DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 good old fashioned boiled eggs in a cup mashed up with butter and a mug of earl grey and double cream and 2 squares of orange and cocoa nibs since the bar is opened ...

Dinner - 4 chicken drumsticks with nandos piri piri garlic sauce and a side salad with a large dollop of coleslaw. SF jelly and double cream. Glass of pepsi max.

May/may not go out another walk as I have already been out today but it is a nice night ... if I go pass the chip shop I will ignore the smell and I must be strong and not give in to temptation!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back home with mum it’s so nice and feels more like ‘normal’ - think will be a lovely special week until take her back on Saturday.
Yesterday had
picnic lunch two boiled egg with flask of coffee on way to mums
Dinner chicken with salads and celebratory prossecco followed by DGF lc bakewell with cream
Today no official breakfast or lunch but several snacks whilst cleaning and packing mum and journey back home had two lc DGF brownies and handful of salted almonds
Dinner at ours steak, celeriac chips, onions and mushroom sauce with wonderful glass of rjoya followed by DGF choc brownie with a few berries from garden and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shouldn't really be English, I don't like tea and didn't like fish and chips for years - found it all too fatty. Then I learned it was ok not to eat the batter and had the occasional bag of chips at the end of a night out. Then of course along comes diabetes, just at the wrong time.

Anyway
L: 2 cold chicken thighs and dollop of coleslaw. One homemade no sugar ice lolly (Greek yog, cream and rapsberries)
D roast chicken, broccoli, gravy Green beans and carrots. 30g of stuffing (shouldnt have at 8g). Half a peach that was just right, juicy, fragrant and lovely. Oh I miss fruit.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55