Struggling

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I understand I’m probably experiencing ‘diabetes burnout’, I’m still in suspected honeymoon phase and am still struggling to ‘get it right’ with my readings consistently being up and down between 5-17!

I had a scare yesterday as I started experiencing symptoms of high blood sugars and DKA, checked my libre 7.3, did a back up test with my meter 7.7? Odd I thought, tested my ketones, 0.6!? I injected a correction unit and ate a small amount of carbs to cover half as I’m quite sensitive.. i have been checking my ketone in my urine since then as my prescription of ketone strips ran out and doesn’t come in until 1st September.

I don’t know what could have caused the ketones, I haven’t had any symptoms since -dry mouth/frequent urination etc. I upped my basal dose before bed last night and had a positive outcome, staying between 4-7 which is the best fasting sugar I have had since giving birth. However I’m finding in the day I am needing to give more correction doses, although the extra dose with meals usually drops me low.

My diabetes team are starting to prove to be unhelpful and seem to be using the ‘situation with COVID’ to ignore my calls and be less than supportive.

I just can’t shake the anger and upset of potentially ending up in DKA, my diabetes team couldn’t be reached and seeing as I haven’t experienced DKA before or symptoms of! I had to try and scour the internet to find out how to resolve the symptoms quickly or if I needed emergency help. (Which I know they don’t intervene until ketones go above 2).

I have just simply had enough, mentally I’m exhausted of struggling with my sugars. Physically I’m exhausted from caring for my ill daughter (she has congenital heart disease and congenital tracheomalacia) And trying to take care of my diabetes. My team just don’t seem to want to support me and now I feel like I’m stuck in a rut, sometimes skipping meals because I simply don’t want to be bothered trying to control it when it seems everything I do either sends me high or stupidly low - which is terribly dangerous for me and my daughter.

I just feel like giving up and letting the disease take over just for a day off. ;( (That’s a figure of speech, I wouldn’t harm myself.)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi,

I understand I’m probably experiencing ‘diabetes burnout’, I’m still in suspected honeymoon phase and am still struggling to ‘get it right’ with my readings consistently being up and down between 5-17!

I had a scare yesterday as I started experiencing symptoms of high blood sugars and DKA, checked my libre 7.3, did a back up test with my meter 7.7? Odd I thought, tested my ketones, 0.6!? I injected a correction unit and ate a small amount of carbs to cover half as I’m quite sensitive.. i have been checking my ketone in my urine since then as my prescription of ketone strips ran out and doesn’t come in until 1st September.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time.
Nutritional ketosis is ketones between 0.5 and 3 mmol/l. This is not DKA. You are just burning body fat - an alternative energy source, which is good for weight loss. I usually run mine around 2 as I intermittent fast. I was 2.2 today before lunch, which I was pleased with. I'm trying to lose weight. DKA occurs when your blood pH changes. It is a risk when your blood sugars are above 13 mmol/l for an extended period of time and are ill and have no insulin. I have basal insulin which keeps me safe and my blood sugars are rarely over 7.
If you think you have the symptoms of DKA you should phone 111.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you're having a hard time.
Nutritional ketosis is ketones between 0.5 and 3 mmol/l. This is not DKA. You are just burning body fat - an alternative energy source, which is good for weight loss. I usually run mine around 2 as I intermittent fast. I was 2.2 today before lunch, which I was pleased with. I'm trying to lose weight. DKA occurs when your blood pH changes. It is a risk when your blood sugars are above 13 mmol/l for an extended period of time and are ill and have no insulin. I have basal insulin which keeps me safe and my blood sugars are rarely over 7.
If you think you have the symptoms of DKA you should phone 111.
Do you experience the symptoms at all in nutritional Ketosis?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Do you experience the symptoms at all in nutritional Ketosis?
No. I feel great - clear-headed and energised. As your ketones were low and your blood sugars normal, the symptoms were due to something else? You need to ask your GP.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. I feel great - clear-headed and energised. As your ketones were low and your blood sugars normal, the symptoms were due to something else? You need to ask your GP.
I will thank you!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... I just can’t shake the anger and upset of potentially ending up in DKA, my diabetes team couldn’t be reached and seeing as I haven’t experienced DKA before or symptoms of! I had to try and scour the internet to find out how to resolve the symptoms quickly or if I needed emergency help. (Which I know they don’t intervene until ketones go above 2). ...
DKA is caused by inadequate insulin. Blood glucose can be 20+, but if there is adequate basal insulin on board, there won't be any DKA. It is a bigger risk for people using pumps if an infusion set/site stops working. When there s DKA with symptoms, ketones go to 10+.

Insulin is sometimes mistakenly stopped during illness as food can't be kept down, and this can lead to DKA. As long as you don't stop taking your basal, you will be fine. The quickest way resolve DKA is by injecting rapid acting insulin. This needs to be done under medical supervision, though, as there are other issues that have to be monitored.

Sounds like you are having a difficult time. The easiest way to stabilise blood glucose is reduce carbohydrate. It means less bolus insulin is required and the blood glucose rollercoaster eases. Stress and hormones are complicating factors and we just have to do our best.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry you are having a difficult time just now - virtual hugs to you.

You will have days when you feel mentally & physically exhausted with a young baby to look after and and on top of that yourself to look after too and it's ok to feel like that - not every day will be an ok or good day - we all go through hard times sometimes - life is a roller coaster. Just take one day at a time, remember to breathe and try to keep calm. Life can seem like a marathon at times but just keep doing your best - that's all any of us can do and I am sure you are being a great mum to your baby even you just being there for her will be soothing for her.

Don't give up on your health care team - although you may feel you are banging your head against the wall - keep phoning and asking the questions your need help with for you and your baby, that is what they are there for and what they get paid for.

And you know you can always ask the friendly, knowledgeable, helpful people here for any help with anything - don't sit and worry about anything - you are not on your own.