I eat potaotes lots of them

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
6.7 average is better than some protocols, however when optimising blood glucose control for Type 2, I would find this a little high, even in the post prandial phase where my levels are less than 6 on 2 course meals.

On a similar Freestyle Libre my average is 4.4. I highlight to suggest to those with Type 2 who are struggling, it might be possible to get normal numbers if the food mentioned in this post is avoided, horses for courses if it makes one happy as an educated choice.

Reactions: AloeSvea

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Never was a big potato eater, the occasional baked and loaded with a steak. Mostly I would just scoop up the sour cream and bacos, eat some the skin. I guess my favorite would be au gratin, mostly for the cheese. Thinking about this, I’d be perfectly happy eating bacon roasted with cheese, with sour cream.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Potatoes aren't that awful, carbs-wise, 15g per 100g according to a quick Google (17g, but presumably to the US standard, so 2.2g of fibre needs to be deducted.) Compared to dry rice at around 76g/100g or milk chocolate at 59g/100g, they're really not atrocious. Off the menu if you're trying to stay as low carb as possible, but someone limiting themselves to 30g of carbs a day could reasonably incorporate up to 200g of potatoes into their evening meal, as long as they stayed otherwise carb free. The only issue is that the starch will spike you high and fast, so if the 'smashed' preparation method delays the release and evens that out, it's a valid approach.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Potatoes aren't that awful, carbs-wise, 15g per 100g according to a quick Google (17g, but presumably to the US standard, so 2.2g of fibre needs to be deducted.) Compared to dry rice at around 76g/100g or milk chocolate at 59g/100g, they're really not atrocious. Off the menu if you're trying to stay as low carb as possible, but someone limiting themselves to 30g of carbs a day could reasonably incorporate up to 200g of potatoes into their evening meal, as long as they stayed otherwise carb free. The only issue is that the starch will spike you high and fast, so if the 'smashed' preparation method delays the release and evens that out, it's a valid approach.
Results don’t back this up. Maybe it’s the starch or as yet to be identified feature. When well controlled Type 2’s try potatoes especially at Christmas, it is always a train wreck. I believe 1 person from Australia in remission has low carb potatoes, and another person limits the size and volume, but on the whole the glucose responses I have read on this site with the anecdotes are not positive.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

More like 20g per 100g for most regular spuds so best avoided and pretty nutritionally deficient anyway.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
while I agree with you in principle, comparing the quantity of potatoes as carbs per 100g , to dry rice, is not so helpful as the amount consumed in a meal is very different. Unless you generally would eat 100g of dried rice (cooked, of course) in a meal?

I would have had around 30g of dried rice in a meal when I used to eat it, so around 30g of carbs per meal.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
while I agree with you in principle, comparing the quantity of potatoes as carbs per 100g , to dry rice, is not so helpful as the amount consumed in a meal is very different. Unless you generally would eat 100g of dried rice (cooked, of course) in a meal?

I would have had around 30g of dried rice in a meal when I used to eat it, so around 30g of carbs per meal.
Pre-diagnosis, I'd put 250g of dry rice into a paella for 2, so 125g per portion. It's a mostly rice dish, after all. I fell for Morrisons' misleading labelling, which gives (from memory) a carbs figure of 35g per 100g. It caught me out until someone here pointed out that I had the figure way wrong. That was when I noticed extra text below the nutritional label, stating that this was cooked rather than uncooked weight.

IMO, the nutritional information on the label should be the what's in the product when you pick it up off the supermarket shelf, not after preparation or cooking.

And even cooked, rice is about twice as carby as potatoes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And even cooked, rice is about twice as carby as potatoes.

I am not disputing that.

My point is that the carbs in a potato need to be compared to the carbs in cooked rice, not uncooked rice. Uncooked rice gives double the figures.

A portion of potato is around 200g for a medium potato (general serving) and around 30g of carbs
200g of cooked rice (general serving) is 60g of carbs

this is comparing like for like.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OP: If you like potatoes, can dose for them and enjoy your current way of eating and lifestyle, don’t be harangued. Low carb is just ONE way to manage any kind of diabetes, meds are another. You do you :)

Reactions: Mad76

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The worst way to eat potatoes is mashed or jacket and possibly roast, as the potatoes suitable for this are the most starchy and being soft are quick to digest. I very rarely have potatoes but if I do it is a few, small waxy potatoes like Charlotte, either cold with some mayonnaise or sauteed.

Reactions: Mad76 and ziggy_w

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not disputing that.

My point is that the carbs in a potato need to be compared to the carbs in cooked rice, not uncooked rice. Uncooked rice gives double the figures.

A portion of potato is around 200g for a medium potato (general serving) and around 30g of carbs
200g of cooked rice (general serving) is 60g of carbs

this is comparing like for like.
You can compare it whichever way you like. Using round figures for convenience, 30g of uncooked rice at 80% carbs and 80g of cooked rice at 30% carbs both give you the same result of 24g when you eat them from the same quantity poured out of the packet. I prefer to think in terms of uncooked weight, because that's how I measure my ingredients when cooking, and therefore how I estimate the carbs in my meals. And I do still cook with proper rice as a treat, on occasions (taking measures to remove as much starch as I reasonably can.)

I see where you're coming from in that 80g of cooked rice is going to be much closer on your plate to 80g of mashed potato. I didn't mean to make a comparison on how the two would satisfy you as part of a meal. The figures were just illustrations that there are worse things (carbs wise) than potatoes, out there. I think we are in agreement that rice has either twice or four times as many carbs as potatoes per equal weight, depending on whether you use the cooked or uncooked figure. Just your preference is for one calculation, and mine is for the other.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can compare it whichever way you like. Using round figures for convenience, 30g of uncooked rice at 80% carbs and 80g of cooked rice at 30% carbs both give you the same result of 24g when you eat them from the same quantity poured out of the packet. I prefer to think in terms of uncooked weight, because that's how I measure my ingredients when cooking, and therefore how I estimate the carbs in my meals. And I do still cook with proper rice as a treat, on occasions (taking measures to remove as much starch as I reasonably can.)

I see where you're coming from in that 80g of cooked rice is going to be much closer on your plate to 80g of mashed potato. I didn't mean to make a comparison on how the two would satisfy you as part of a meal. The figures were just illustrations that there are worse things (carbs wise) than potatoes, out there. I think we are in agreement that rice has either twice or four times as many carbs as potatoes per equal weight, depending on whether you use the cooked or uncooked figure. Just your preference is for one calculation, and mine is for the other.
Again, you missed my point. You compared 100g of cooked potato to 100g of uncooked rice. The comparison is wrong. We do not eat uncooked rice. We have to compare cooked carbs to have equivalents. 100g of uncooked rice is not the same cooked amount as 100g of cooked potato.

I give up.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, you missed my point. You compared 100g of cooked potato to 100g of uncooked rice. The comparison is wrong. We do not eat uncooked rice. We have to compare cooked carbs to have equivalents. 100g of uncooked rice is not the same cooked amount as 100g of cooked potato.

I give up.
No, I've got your point all along. It's you that's refusing to acknowledge my different perspective.

As I said in my last post: "I see where you're coming from in that 80g of cooked rice is going to be much closer on your plate to 80g of mashed potato."

What part of that is 'not getting your point?' You've somewhat arbitrarily decided that only the cooked weight matters, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. I'm keeping an open mind to your position. Yours appears to be totally closed to mine.

Reactions: Marie 2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is now wandering off topic and becoming a 2-way discussion/disagreement which is not helpful to the OP or the previous posters.

Please can I remind you of the relevant section of the forum rules and ethos:

'This is a Forum of many different personalities – if you disagree with someone then start a constructive debate or use the Private Message (PM) system to have a conversation. It is unhelpful to have to read miles of disagreeing posts, and can deflect from the purpose of the thread (i.e. thread derailing).'

Further derailing posts will be deleted.

Thanks.

Reactions: Rose22

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I like potatoes - but I've got to say they mess with my digestion more than my blood sugar (in a small quantity of course!). I think it has something to do with eating them with protein like meat. So whilst I am ok eating a small amount, I kinda like having a more settled stomach, so they are more like a treat :)

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m going to wade in and say...I like potatoes too! But they don’t seem to like diabetics!
A baked potato could be say 19 cubes of sugar ... compared to a can of coke 7 cubes...but the humble potato has fibre, potassium B6 etc.
I have sweet potatoes if I can choose, and take insulin accordingly.
Each to their own. ☺️
Queue the music...I Like Big Spuds and I cannot lie...

Reactions: Mad76

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to wade in and say...I like potatoes too! But they don’t seem to like diabetics!
A baked potato could be say 19 cubes of sugar ... compared to a can of coke 7 cubes...but the humble potato has fibre, potassium B6 etc.
I have sweet potatoes if I can choose, and take insulin accordingly.
Each to their own. ☺️
Queue the music...I Like Big Spuds and I cannot lie...
As with rice, I think the secret is to both limit the quantities consumed, and to try to cook in a way that extracts as much starch as possible and pours it down the sink. Cutting into smaller chunks, soaking for a few hours, boiling then rinsing, and perhaps even changing the water part way through cooking are all methods to dump some of the starch content. Whether they'll get it down low enough for the potatoes to agree with your blood sugar, and still hold together and taste good, is another matter. I'll conduct some experiments, one of these days.

I have a tub of Smash instant mash (which, as the ads would always tell us, are made with real potatoes.) They're claiming only 10.9g per 100g of product (rehydrated weight.) So mash might not be entirely off limits. The Morrisons own brand packet is significantly higher, at around 15g per 100g of prepared product.

Seems this 'prepared product weight' thing is something I need to watch out for with most (re)hydratable foods. Not just rice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like potatoes - but I've got to say they mess with my digestion more than my blood sugar (in a small quantity of course!). I think it has something to do with eating them with protein like meat. So whilst I am ok eating a small amount, I kinda like having a more settled stomach, so they are more like a treat :)

I find the same. My digestive tract is much happier when I keep carbs and proteins separate - and by that, I mean in separate meals.

my understanding is that proteins are digested in the stomach, and carbs are digested in the small intestine.
So if you eat carbs and proteins together, then the stomach has to work harder, to work around all that carb, then it passes it all into the small intestine, which has to work even harder to neutralise all that extra stomach acid.

fortunately, not everyone has a digestive tract that struggles like mine does, so they seem to be able to cope better.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that if I was going to have a carb fest, potatoes would be involved. Either chip shop chips or potato crisps (that has happened once or twice). Easier for me to stay away than attempt moderation.