trying to get started on high fat

ruth2

Hi,
I spent the summer on the Newcastle diet, managed to lose lots of weight and get my fasting blood glucose down. Now the problem is that I don't really tolerate carbs any more, but high-protein food makes me full too soon to keep my weight and fatty foods make me feel horribly sick a few hours later, even a slice of salmon. Before last summer I'd never eaten much fat, mostly due to being vegetarian and too lazy to fry anything, could it be that my pancreas got lazy, too? My GP tends to blame it on the bugs that the kids bring home from nursery school, but they never get any stomach bugs temselves, so now I'm thinking of changing my diet again, but how? Or wait for my weight to drop further and hope I will be able to eat carbs again? I'm at the top end of the normal range for my height now, so could still drop two stones or so without it getting unhealthy.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Perhaps you could go protein and lower some of the fat content, but eat low carb veggies first and then finish off on protein. I'm not sure why you feel sick after eating fat, but if you were on the Newcastle diet beforehand and then switched to LCHF the sudden change may be responsible for feeling ill. Or perhaps not. You may find adding fat along the way further down the track gradually could also work. So, all I got is.... try changing the order in which you eat your meals and see if things begin to become more stable. Not sure if that helps, but some experimentation may help.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ruth2 - what sort of things are you eating, on a day to day basis? Armed with that information, there could be some tweaks we could suggest to help you on your way. Sometimes, we just have to take it slowly.

I think when we read "high fat" we think spreading butter on cheese or eating slabs of butter, but in most cases it doesn't need to be so extreme.

In my world I don't ever talk about "high fat", although sometimes that is indeed the case. I talk about "balancing fat". The balancing bit being about managing hunger, and the weighing scales. I know if I overload on fats I know all about it, and just have to dial back a bit.

Well done on getting yourself into a better place with your blood glucose.

Reactions: zauberflote

ruth2

Hi @ruth2 - what sort of things are you eating, on a day to day basis? Armed with that information, there could be some tweaks we could suggest to help you on your way. Sometimes, we just have to take it slowly.

Hi again. One cereal bowl of vegetables, some low-fat yoghurt, pint of semi-skimmed milk as before, but more recently rather a lot of cheese and fish and walnuts. And when I'm particularly exhausted (teacher...) I have the occasional slice of bread. Maybe it was that, rather than the fat. Will have to be more careful!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would do you want to be able to eat carbs again?
As your body heals and gets used to less weight and less food maybe you just need less protein , fats and quantity to feel satisfied. I certainly do. I can't believe how much my hunger (or lack of it) and tastes have changed.
I don't want to go back to eating carbs.
My weight loss has slowed after a dramatic start but I'm happy with that as I get used to this way of eating for the rest of my life
Full fat yogurt and cream instead of low fat yoghurt and pints of semi skimmed milk means you will have smaller portions but be more satiated

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Apparently in Denmark in the late 60's, if you worked on a farm as my sister did, you very nearly *did* spread butter on your cheese! She gained 30lbs in a semester! Her descriptions of the food were eye-popping.
I know that certain fats and/or too much fat can set off my reflux, which may present in some as feeling sick. Also it seems to me that fats can run right through your system sometimes. I know nothing medical about this, just experience.
I try to go for nuts if exhausted (old person lol). Could definitely eat myself sick on macadamias!

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would start by ditching the low-fat yogurt for full-fat. Skim milk for whole milk. If you want to get more fat in your diet, these are easy and delicious switches you can make.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Vegetarian and need some fats? - Try Avocados, Olives and nuts - just avoid the higher carb nuts such as cashews, pistachios.

ruth2

I suppose it is unusual, then, to feel badly nauseous after eating fatty foods, even in small quantities? I'd love to eat more nuts, or fish, or cheese, but can't really risk any more days off sick as my boss is getting annoyed. So back to mostly protein and hoping it won't harm my kidneys. GP keeps telling me to wait, "next time" he'll refer me to a gastrologist. Or maybe not, we'll see.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it is unusual, then, to feel badly nauseous after eating fatty foods, even in small quantities? I'd love to eat more nuts, or fish, or cheese, but can't really risk any more days off sick as my boss is getting annoyed. So back to mostly protein and hoping it won't harm my kidneys. GP keeps telling me to wait, "next time" he'll refer me to a gastrologist. Or maybe not, we'll see.

Ruth for me, eating more fat has rarely meant peanut butter by the spoonful, or glugging down double cream, like a drink. We just tend to have fattier cuts of meat - belly as opposed to, say, loin of pork, or lamb chops and so on. And where we might have a steak, it can be cooked slowly (or quickly, depending how you like it) in butter.

Trust me, there are many, many delicious recipes, or even just ways to cook fattier meats, that tend to be forgiving of loooong cooking to render the fat into deliciousness.

For me, that works. Too many nuts, for me, is quite unpleasant. I try to keep an eye on dairy and I have a sneaking feeling I would be better off without it, but that's a different challenge!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another recommendation for olives and avocados - both are good vegetable sources of fat. And regarding nuts: cashews contain resistant starch so may not be too bad for your glucose levels. There's an old thread about this and some of use find that we don't have any issue eating with them, so it's worth checking how you respond to them. But also look at the vegetarian section of the forum, we have some low carbing vegetarian members too.

And don't be misled by "high" fat meaning you have to shovel loads of the stuff down, you need only eat normal full fat foods rather than reduced/low/lite versions which tend to contain more carbs.