Blood sugars rising during sleep

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can someone help to reduce this? Doctors and nurses aren’t doing jack shizz.

no one helped me answer it in my previous thread

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone help to reduce this? Doctors and nurses aren’t doing jack shizz.

no one helped me answer it in my previous thread
Went through the tread real quick. You're already high when you go to sleep, so you want to tackle that too. Thing is, when you sleep and have nightmares, or any other form of interrupted sleep, your liver'll start dumping glucose because it thinks you need energy for fight-or-flight. It believes it is helping because you're stressed and must need energy to combat whatever's going on. (It's a helpful, and very stupid little organ). That's glucose that's stored in the liver, and if you go to bed at 20, I can guarantee you, those stores are FULL. So you want to treat the way too high blood sugars, then your liver'll have less to dump (Mind you, dumping in the morning is normal, so there'll always likely be a little increase, but it shouldn't be six whole mmol/l).

So... Cut carbs, get a handle on your blood glucose, and those rises you see in the night should be getting better too. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- might help some, if you're a T2. If you're a T1, get your meds reviewed.

Reactions: Gibbogluc

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Went through the tread real quick. You're already high when you go to sleep, so you want to tackle that too. Thing is, when you sleep and have nightmares, or any other form of interrupted sleep, your liver'll start dumping glucose because it thinks you need energy for fight-or-flight. It believes it is helping because you're stressed and must need energy to combat whatever's going on. (It's a helpful, and very stupid little organ). That's glucose that's stored in the liver, and if you go to bed at 20, I can guarantee you, those stores are FULL. So you want to treat the way too high blood sugars, then your liver'll have less to dump (Mind you, dumping in the morning is normal, so there'll always likely be a little increase, but it shouldn't be six whole mmol/l).

So... Cut carbs, get a handle on your blood glucose, and those rises you see in the night should be getting better too. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- might help some, if you're a T2. If you're a T1, get your meds reviewed.

I’m not high before I go sleep, it seems like I’ve confused everyone. My blood sugar is perfect before bed but when I’m sleeping it rises and when I wake up it’s really high

my blood sugar is around 5-9 before bed and then I wake up from sleeping to see it has risen to 27

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you need more basal insulin action during the night. What basal insulin do you use and when do you inject it? If it is not the very long acting type, changing dosage and/or timing should help.

Reactions: EllieM

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds like you need more basal insulin action during the night. What basal insulin do you use and when do you inject it? If it is not the very long acting type, changing dosage and/or timing should help.
I use toujeo and take 32 units. I even doubled it last night(ik that’s dangerous but I tried to see if it would work) didn’t make the slightest difference. I inject in the morning and just recently, night to see if it would make a difference but no

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use toujeo and take 32 units. I even doubled it last night(ik that’s dangerous but I tried to see if it would work) didn’t make the slightest difference. I inject in the morning and just recently, night to see if it would make a difference but no
Please contact your team and keep a close eye on your bg tonight. Are you alone?
Please don't double the amount of long acting again, it really is dangerous especially if your blood sugars are perfect before you go to bed!

Call 111 if in doubt!

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Please contact your team and keep a close eye on your bg tonight. Are you alone?
Please don't double the amount of long acting again, it really is dangerous especially if your blood sugars are perfect before you go to bed!

Call 111 if in doubt!
I have but my appointment is next week. And I’m concerned about it. I just need someone to help me :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not high before I go sleep, it seems like I’ve confused everyone. My blood sugar is perfect before bed but when I’m sleeping it rises and when I wake up it’s really high

my blood sugar is around 5-9 before bed and then I wake up from sleeping to see it has risen to 27

Hi,

What time do you retire to bed.?
What time was your evening meal?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It would be really useful to find out when your levels rise in the night. Maybe your team could lend you a cgm to find out what the issue is.... (Or set an alarm and test multiple times in the night, I know that's horrible) Some possible causes

1) Not enough bolus to cover your evening meal and your bg is still going up when you go to bed
2) Just not enough basal generally, but you have to change it gradually and don't expect an immediate result
3) Your toujeo has gone off and/or your insulin pen is malfunctioning eg a crack in a cartridge can have a drastic effect.
4)Poor injection site management.
5)Dawn phenomena: your liver pumps out sugar early in day to help you get active.
6) Hypo in night and your liver pumps out sugar to help you recover.

Honestly, with such a drastic rise I'd want to rule out pen and insulin issues but you should realise that toujeo is such a slow acting insulin that any changes may take days to have an effect.

Good luck.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It would be really useful to find out when your levels rise in the night. Maybe your team could lend you a cgm to find out what the issue is.... (Or set an alarm and test multiple times in the night, I know that's horrible) Some possible causes

1) Not enough bolus to cover your evening meal and your bg is still going up when you go to bed
2) Just not enough basal generally, but you have to change it gradually and don't expect an immediate result
3) Your toujeo has gone off and/or your insulin pen is malfunctioning eg a crack in a cartridge can have a drastic effect.
4)Poor injection site management.
5)Dawn phenomena: your liver pumps out sugar early in day to help you get active.
6) Hypo in night and your liver pumps out sugar to help you recover.

Honestly, with such a drastic rise I'd want to rule out pen and insulin issues but you should realise that toujeo is such a slow acting insulin that any changes may take days to have an effect.

Good luck.

they won’t give me one

I think it’s due to my nightmares

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
they won’t give me one

I think it’s due to my nightmares

Well, if you're waking from the nightmares, could you force yourself to do a blood test when you wake?
I'm in NZ and while I'm on my own for funding cgms, my team have no problems lending me a cgm for a week so they can calculate insulin rations etc.

Having said that, I've just reread some of your previous threads, and found that your anti-nightmare medication can cause high bgs? Could you move to a different medication and/or skip it for a while to see if it is the cause of your bg rise?

Your team have a duty of care and should help you work out why your levels are doing this. The more data you give them (food diary, bg levels in night) the more likely they are to be able to help you work out the correct dosage.

Good luck.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, if you're waking from the nightmares, could you force yourself to do a blood test when you wake?
I'm in NZ and while I'm on my own for funding cgms, my team have no problems lending me a cgm for a week so they can calculate insulin rations etc.

Having said that, I've just reread some of your previous threads, and found that your anti-nightmare medication can cause high bgs? Could you move to a different medication and/or skip it for a while to see if it is the cause of your bg rise?

Your team have a duty of care and should help you work out why your levels are doing this. The more data you give them (food diary, bg levels in night) the more likely they are to be able to help you work out the correct dosage.

Good luck.

They don't wake me up. I always get a full 8 hours

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Good luck.
And I did stop the anti anziru meds to see if that was the cause and it isn't

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And I did stop the anti anziru meds to see if that was the cause and it isn't

Then I'd suggest asking your team again to let you at least have a temporary cgm, just so that you can work out why and when those levels are rising. Good luck.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I get the same issue and have found a way to fix it. Exercise is the way forward to solving it, which stops the sugar in the liver it seems. If I go for a 7 mile bike ride, the next 3 nights are flat as a pancake. Following 4 days of no exercise I'll be flat until 02.30 and then start climbing up, by 7am my levels are 13mmol, having give to bed at 10pm with a BG at 6mmol.

Another issue for you could be eating nuts after 4pm, which is certainly an issue for me. Also, eating slow rising foods is an issue, minus the exercise...

Reactions: EllieM and Lizzie2

antoanto

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is normal that your liver "synthesises" glucose overnight to keep your glucose levels sufficiently high during what is effectively an 8-12 hour fast fro most people. In normal people, insulin deals with the surge which normally occurs between 0400 and 0800. In diabetics or prediabetics the insukin is less effective and blood glucose will rise.. It is called the "dawn effect". If this level is consistently rising, it can be an indication of a deteriorating metabolic response to insulin. What is more important is the HbA1c level. The only way recommended to deal with the dawn effect is to ensure at least 7 hours of good quality sleep per night and to deal with issues such as sleep apnea which aggravates metabolic syndrome.

derekb

Mine does the same thing - from my Libre it lols like my sugar starts to rise around 3am - I have been told that part of it is your body’s adrenaline getting ready to wake up. The other is to do with what you are eating late on - meaning certain foods take longer to digest and will make your sugars rise muck later - keep a diary on what your eating late on to see what effect this has - if you find it is not this then it is simply your body’s Adrenalin getting your body for waking up (do you get up same time every morning ?) your body recognises this and kicks in

Reactions: Lizzie2

TonyH1108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have the same issue and self-funded a Libra. It clearly showed that I experience the dawn phenomenon around 3.30 every morning. I have gone to bed on 8.0 or less and wake up at 16 or higher.
The SDN at Addenbrookes is referring me for a pump as this is the only way to keep my blood sugars down.
I've tried adjusting the doses of Levimir (I do split doses as recommended on the DAFNE course) but I either go hypo around midnight to 2am, or my reading is still high in the morning.
Speak to your SDN and I'm sure they'll help.
Good luck and stay safe and well.