High Blood sugar levels

MonkeyNuts75

Hello, I was diagnosed with Diabetes in early December. It started off with needing to visit the toilet 7 times a night but feeling constantly dehydrated. I know I am overweight for my height and suspected it was diabetic. I contacted my GP and was sent for a blood test. About 2 weeks later I had an appointment with a diabetic nurse and was supplied with a glucose machine and put on tablets ( gliclazide) . Initially my glucose libels wouldn’t register on the machine, it came up as ‘hi’.
A few days after taking tablets i had a reading of 32.7. I have since been taking regular readings, lowest being 17. I was lng supplied with much info and haven’t been advised what range the reading should be until. Do these readings seem high for someone with newly diagnosed diabetes?

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have watched what I have eaten and drunk and have lost 2 stone in weight. I go for walks each day. I am feeling a lot healthier than I was and my clothes are too big and my trousers have fallen down. Just concerned that my readings are too high and how I can bring them down further?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello, I was diagnosed with Diabetes in early December. It started off with needing to visit the toilet 7 times a night but feeling constantly dehydrated. I know I am overweight for my height and suspected it was diabetic. I contacted my GP and was sent for a blood test. About 2 weeks later I had an appointment with a diabetic nurse and was supplied with a glucose machine and put on tablets ( gliclazide) . Initially my glucose libels wouldn’t register on the machine, it came up as ‘hi’.
A few days after taking tablets i had a reading of 32.7. I have since been taking regular readings, lowest being 17. I was lng supplied with much info and haven’t been advised what range the reading should be until. Do these readings seem high for someone with newly diagnosed diabetes?

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have watched what I have eaten and drunk and have lost 2 stone in weight. I go for walks each day. I am feeling a lot healthier than I was and my clothes are too big and my trousers have fallen down. Just concerned that my readings are too high and how I can bring them down further?

Hi @MonkeyNuts75

There are a couple of members @Rachox and @JoKalsbeek who can offer some good advice.

Your levels are a bit high, but I'd say be patient. There is medical research which suggests that bringing your average glucose level down too quickly can be detrimental to your health. ( This normally applies more to people on insulin which can drop glucose levels dramatically.)

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Take a look at this page too.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @MonkeyNuts75 ,

Yeah, you're high. I wonder what you're eating/drinking, do you mind if I ask? You mention losing weight on your new diet, and watching what you eat, but you don't say how exactly you've changed your diet. If you're trying low carb on for size, I'd say, more power to you, as that's the way to go for a T2.

However.... If you've been upping your carbohydrate uptake and cutting fats, which is what most traditional diets would come down to, and you're losing weight, there's reason for concern. Hence the question about what you're eating/drinking these days. Either what you're doing is working, albeit slowly, or something else could be awry. Sudden weight loss and high blood sugars could indicate T1 or one of the many versions thereof. That's why I'm asking. They're completely different conditions requiring different approaches, and lots of people who develop T1 later in life, are diagnosed T2 at first. So not questioning your diet or commitment to it, but whether it's the diet that's causing you to lose weight, or the high blood sugars. And if that is the case, potential misdiagnosis.

In any case... For a T2, a low carb, high fat diet works well in getting blood sugars down. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ would be a jumping-off point. Do be careful, as with gliclazide in the mix you could hypo, and those are very unpleasant, not to say dangerous (especially when driving and such). So do test a lot and get in touch with your doc if your dosage needs changing eh.

Anyway, let us know what you're eating, maybe we can help get your blood sugars down, together with your weight.
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @MonkeyNuts75 and welcome to the forum. Well done on the progress you’ve made so far. Whilst your numbers remain high they appear to be heading in the right direction. There’s not really much I can add after @JoKalsbeek ’s excellent advice, but I do want to reiterate the advice about watching your levels very carefully whilst on Gliclazide for hypos, that is blood sugars that are dangerously low.

MonkeyNuts75

Thank you got your replies. They have been very helpful. Currently I haven’t been following a particular diet. I have cut out snacking and alcohol and the once or twice a week takeaway. I use to only drink alcohol at weekends and not to excess. I have stopped drinking alcohol.

Meal wise, apart from takeaways I have always had what i would consider fairly healthy meals.
Plenty of salad and veg and meat wise mainly chicken.
I have also stopped eating when full when previously I would finish the plate.
Typical meals in a week, would be stir fry, chicken and bacon medallion salads, chilli, curry (homemade), roast chicken, fajitas. I have still been having bread which maybe I should also cut out.

I have lost weight easily and want to lose this steadily. When I was first diagnosed I also suffered from blurry vision which has since corrected itself.

I will follow advice and take a look at the forum article that Jo sent a link too. It maybe that I do need to follow a stricter diet to reduce my levels.
Thanks again for advice.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol tends to lower my readings but can give you the munchies. Have to be vigilant.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you reduce your carb intake you should reduce your blood glucose.
Weight loss has little to do with it - although it can be a pleasing, or even an unwanted side effect of getting back to normal levels.
As you are taking medication which can cause hypos you need to go slowly, and test after eating.

MarkHaZ123

Hi @MonkeyNuts75

There are a couple of members @Rachox and @JoKalsbeek who can offer some good advice.

Your levels are a bit high, but I'd say be patient. There is medical research which suggests that bringing your average glucose level down too quickly can be detrimental to your health. ( This normally applies more to people on insulin which can drop glucose levels dramatically.)

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Take a look at this page too.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
That's what the 2 ladies doing the Dafne course said to me
I was been treated for type 2 but bloods just went up to 15+ mornings and 20+ evenings and nights.

I was put on insulin about 2 weeks before doing a dafne course and they said over the first few days to bring levels down 5 or so then the next few days 5 again and it then got to the right levels thankfully

Reactions: urbanracer