What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.
FBG 7.1 mmo/lt at 0730 hrs.
Lovely bright clear dawn breaking. But how to make use of the day?
Real coffee and "The Times" first.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Really fell off the wagon yesterday and had way too many carbs. Although I could put a different spin on it and say I did a glucose tolerance test.

I had this huge craving for something sweet and am really surprised that BS didn't go higher than 7 yesterday. Mr K made a fruit cake from spelt and almond flour, walnuts, apple, butter, dried fruit and a tiny amount of sugar. It is his own recipe. I couldn't resist a slice which must have doubled the usual amount of carbs I have for a whole day.

Back on the straight and narrow today but interesting that my body is better able to cope with carbs now.

Update on Archie. He is at least 400% better this morning. Instead of having to lay down every few minutes he was exploring the downstairs rooms and the garden for over an hour. He only had to sit down once. It's almost like everything looks different to him and he is trying to work out why. He is now in a deep sleep on his bed in the conservatory.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a feint touch of hope in the dawn sky here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of prawn jalfrezi came in at 5.4 this am - must have been that mouse size nibble of cake afterwards.

Yesterday brightened up a bit late in the morning so waterproofs on and a good five miles clocked. Found train route from Almaly in Kazakhstan to Ulan Bator and then down to Bejing - takes a few days - might be nice. Lots of permits and visas needed. Blooming Govt of the Netherlands fell after some dodgy search algorithm came to light targeting people with foreign names and accusing them of benefit fraud. I have a brother, a Dutch citizen, who lives in Limburg and who has been banging on about the state of the Dutch Govt for years. Skype call to my sister in France - they have a 6pm curfew, how exciting. She is planning to move in with the parents after our mother has a hip replacement next month. Propaganda - when a Yorkshireman has a right good look.

Art today - trying for a moonlit sky - better have another go. The ink is layered on the front this time - A4 rice paper, unsized. Have a wonderful day - I can see some bits of blue appearing now - fab. Koffy time.

View attachment 46917
World tour going well, I suspect those virtual visas are difficult to get your hands on. :)

That moon lit scene looks proper good to me a little Van Goghish, brilliant.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

Only ate one cooked meal yesterday, first thing. Introduced eggs again...

Still dark as night here...cloudy.

Painting for today. In Procreate.

No sign of sunrise here yet..

View attachment 46918
That's a great piece of art to start your day with, bright sunrise and those glowing grasses in the foreground to give depth, lovely.

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies for all the Archie updates but just had to post this. He went back out to the garden and started digging a hole (luckily I spotted that predictive text changed the i to an o before I posted this). He then wandered around thoroughly inspecting every corner of the garden. This is such a huge leap forward.

His recovery is progressing at supersonic speed. I am so happy. He is now snoring on his bed by the radiator in the conservatory.
Keep letting us now Archie's progress it's good to have such positive news in these difficult times.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.2

I prefer eating one meal a day. It helps Fbg. Also I love my cooked breakfasts, and food and cooking is over and done with for the rest of the day. Suits me.

Painting for the day. In Procreate.
It is what you make it to be.
I was sad when I did it.
Something happened yesterday.
I am taking time out, but I will do my daily digital painting. I need to do this...

View attachment 46932
Another world I know you were sad when you did it but for me there is something uplifting about this art. Take care.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dunelm, I thought the Gurkha team assembling under the summit and climbing the last section of k2 together showed a great spirit of comradeship.
D.
I agree, they had to abandon the attempt a week ago as strong winds destroyed one of their camps so they slept in a crevasse - doesn’t surprise me Gurkhas show great tenacity and comradeship. I had the privilege of serving with 7 Gurkha Rifles for a very short time - mind you, their selection process for basic training is probably the most demanding of any military outfit on the globe. In 2019 there were 10, 000 candidates competing in the two Pokharas - the top 290 from each then compete in the British Gurkha Pokhara for the 320 places.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.2

I prefer eating one meal a day. It helps Fbg. Also I love my cooked breakfasts, and food and cooking is over and done with for the rest of the day. Suits me.

Painting for the day. In Procreate.
It is what you make it to be.
I was sad when I did it.
Something happened yesterday.
I am taking time out, but I will do my daily digital painting. I need to do this...

View attachment 46932
@gennepher your painting is beautiful. I am so sorry you are feeling sad today.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone on another cycle of the planet here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of heck sausages in onion gravy with Viennese style red cabbage came in at 5.2 this am

Congratulations must go to Nirmal 'Nims' Purja, a Gurkha veteran and his team for singing the Nepalese national anthem as they arrived at the top of Karakuram 2 (K2) on Saturday - a first for a winter ascent - brhhh! It gets cold and windy up there.

@Krystyna23040 - good Archie updates - digging holes and stealing food - good signs.
@gennepher - wonderful colours in your sunset yesterday and sorry to read that you are sad. Your art always cheers me up, this latest reminds me of Lake Victoria and how the light disappears as fast as a light switch being flicked in that part of the world.

Art today on a piece of triple layered rice paper, about 6x4 inches. Hope everyone has a great Monday - won’t be long until bin day comes around. Koffy.

View attachment 46933
A fine mountain scene from you, I like the green colour and mixed wash fro the sky and foreground. This world tour is definitely inspiring your art. Good you payed a visit to K2 as the national anthem was being sung, did you join in?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all. No Swipey but whatever it would have showed I haven't the fortitude for fasting atm (not sure it is a net benefit for me these days) and won't be backing away from mainly mackerel and avocado salad (with transit sprinkles) - salmon on Friday- anytime soon. @RFSMarch hug for feeling the need to point out some home truths; @dunelm virtual world tour going well; @gennepher highly practical to have early OMAD; @Krystyna23040 good news on Archie's ;progress and very helpful to me that someone as virtuous as yourself still appreciates the beauty of sweet food - as a very rare treat and "release valve". Toddle Pip.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
World tour going well, I suspect those virtual visas are difficult to get your hands on. :)

That moon lit scene looks proper good to me a little Van Goghish, brilliant.
Thank you - yes, those virtual visas are hard to get but like Van Gogh, I will be keeping my ear close to the ground

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.8 for me today.

Bright here but pleanty of rain forecast for the rest of the week.

Tesco shop then a day battling with new technology. I had an idea to dump Virgin Media TV which is getting more and more expensive so trying our internet alternatives before making the final decision. We can't get any terrestrial TV in the valley and because of Oak Trees surrounding us. We have considered getting rid of TV completely but Mrs MCis resisting, this may work.

Keep safe have the best day you are able.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Swipey free and about to try and do a workout but might switch to the bike as my knee is not happy at all.

Had to ask cave dweller to make more of an effort to keep the house clean. Not sure he liked it but I am sick of cleaning up after him. I have to literally scrub the toilet daily if I want to use it when I am downstairs and I clean his toilet and bathroom once a week myself because if you leave it for weeks on end it would be totally gross! (His bathroom is downstairs and there is a separate toilet that I occasionally use if I am downstairs rather than schlep up two flights of stairs to use mine).

I always wipe down the kitchen surfaces and try and leave it clean so I just flipped yesterday when I got back from Sainsbury's and he had come down for breakfast and left a mess in the kitchen and hadn't bothered to empty the kitchen bin. Never cleans the hob, never cleans the surfaces...

I tried to be as reasonable as possible and asked him to wash up properly as well (I had to re-wash a pan just to be able to use it) and told him I would just appreciate it if he did more around the cleaning, and asked him if he could clean his bathroom at least once a week.

I then avoided him for the rest of the day because I hate that kind of confrontation. I mean my house isn't a show home by any stretch of the imagination, but I am not his housekeeper. He came from a place where the landlady lived in a complete tip so I dunno - maybe he thinks that is ok? Anyway...
Hope your tenant mends his ways. Perhaps, now he knows it is not acceptable to leave his mess everywhere, he will be much more considerate and clear up his mess.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update and correction. Turns out 91 yo MIL was ONLY outside in the rain for 1 hr+ (?1.5) the 3 hrs was the round trip from home - 2 x 5 minute journeys usually, add on 15 mins from car park for a 91 yo with hip and knee replacements. Many of the people in the queue were wobbly, almost falling over even at that wait time. Those in wheelchairs were taken in first. Good job she can still drive as by public transport it would literally have been impossible.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all. No Swipey but whatever it would have showed I haven't the fortitude for fasting atm (not sure it is a net benefit for me) these days and won't be backing away from mainly mackerel and avocado salad (with transit sprinkles) - salmon on Friday- anytime soon. @RFSMarch hug for feeling the need to point out some home truths; @dunelm virtual world tour going well; @gennepher highly practical to have early OMAD; @Krystyna23040 good news on Archie's ;progress and very helpful to me that someone as virtuous as yourself still appreciates the beauty of sweet food - as a very rare treat and "release valve". Toddle Pip.
It was absolutely beyond delicious and I savoured every bite. It felt really good to to be so wicked and I was also really pleased that it didn't trigger a carb fuelled binge. I think you are right that it was a 'release valve' after all the worry about Archie.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update and correction. Turns out 91 yo MIL was ONLY outside in the rain for 1 hr+ (?1.5) the 3 hrs was the round trip from home - 2 x 5 minute journeys usually, add on 15 mins from car park for a 91 yo with hip and knee replacements. Many of the people in the queue ere wobbly, almost falling over even at that wait time. Those in wheelchairs were taken in first Good job she can still drive as by public transport it would literally have been impossible.
Actually, even a one hour wait in the rain in the middle of the winter was totally not acceptable. Your MIL did really well to cope with this, plus the journey there and back. The organisers definitely got a D minus for their lack of organisational skills.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and if you don't fit into either of those categories good luck and ignore the self-righteous.

A 5.5 on that darling meter of mystery and misbehaving of mine.

Today is planned, approved and subject to change by whims of Mrs J.

Enjoy today, national bin day is looming.

JFWinstone

8.0 today, this year has been a struggle so far. This third national lockdown has hit me pretty hard, my mental health hasn't been great and the lack of support has really been taking a toll. My eating hasn't been great, and my blood sugars have been creeping back up again. My sleeping has been all over the place and pain levels have been through the roof. All in all, it's been rather ******.