What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None of the health professions advice worked for me either. It made things much worse.

I have to be under 20 carbs as well. If I do under 5 carbs I feel so much better. But the naughty me does creep out now and then...

Like you, I think I had diabetes for at least a couple of decades before I got diagnosed. It makes sense for how I felt and symptoms I was getting. And I did go to the doctor over all this but they took no notice.

You have done, and are doing very well @Krystyna23040
I was also ignored by my doctor. In the late 1980s I was feeling unwell and the nurse at work did a health check which revealed sky high sugar in my urine sample. She sent me straight to my doctor. He told me that she didn't know what she was talking about and that having high sugar in urine was normal. I cannot believe that I could have been so stupid as to believe him. Thank goodness the older me is not so naive.

Goodness knows what damage was done between then and 2012 when I was admitted to hospital with an hba1c of 125 and a resting heart rate of 120.

I also would do better on 5g carbs but I just couldn't do it. 20g is my absolute minimum.

Reactions: jjraak

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They will be able to check the fault via your phone app and send you a replacement.
Yeah I remember that someone in the FB group suggested waiting until it finally stops working because they won't replace if it is just LO, it actually has to fail before they will replace it. I think some rigorous swinging of a driver might be called for to dislodge it - I suspect the filament has budged and is not getting enough for a reading as I definitely do not feel like I am a flatline low having just fought (and won, I might add) a fight with my kingsize duvet.

I know some people are swearing by leaving the adhesive in the open air for 24 hours and such but having had such bad reactions to it on my skin I just don't want to even risk it anymore.

I have 18 holes of golf to consider my next move in the engagement against misbehaving swipeys.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. Had a wonderful day yesterday. Our meal in the beautiful garden at the hotel was lovely then we walked out, through the garden into Sheringham to for a leisurely walk through the parkland.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 6.9 for me. Foolishly I took my fasting reading after early 1 hour bike ride instead of before.

Dull here but sun promised later.

My iPad battery is low so just popping in and will catch up later.

Beach to myself this morning so rode over to the other side of the bay on the sands, it's a bit like the exciting feeling of leaving the first footprints on newly fallen snow.

Today...
IMG_4896.JPG

Keep safe and enjoy the day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning on Corpus Christi day. That has a religious significance but since I've been transplanted to Suffolk I keenly feel the need for some sort of rooting and belonging somewhere. The sense of fitting into the backstory of a small rural community acutely aware of the agricultural and Church seasons somehow helps me. That's just the way I am. We all get through life differently. My fbg on Swipey was 5.1 from a pre sleep of 4.3. Whilst 5.1 isn't a life threatening emergency it just ain't right for me, on that device, at this time of year. Feels as though eating, maybe 50 gms, combined, of bacon and pastrami yesterday deserved propitiation. @gennepher how sad for you and the birds and incredibly rude of the new neighbour. Best wishes for today. @Krystyna23040 yesterday sounds frankly divine for you. @Muddy Cyclist ignore the post exercise fbg and focus on the joy of the ride, deserted beach and family holiday. @dunelm wot, no bin parade or news and by the sounds of it you're not cared one jot. Fi my Lord, fi. @RFSMarch best wishes for a great round, spiffing handicap and jolting Swipey enough for a replacement. Ramble done.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the idea of "Brain washing"

Missus has used it to good effect to come off cigarettes...

Convinced herself they are poison, and had a mental image of what the first contact with one , :wideyed::spitoutdummy:
does to help wean her off.

Very effective and she really puts her mind to stuff like that .

For me, it was the "F***" ...it can do WHAT :woot:"
That pushed me, to try so hard.

When we see it from the after viewpoint,, it seems sensible AND practical.

Yet it IS that first look when we go.. " No F****** way, am 'i' letting THAT happen"

that free us to choose a different path

And here you are , living proof, IT can be done.

Respect.

And yeah, agree.

It's a club we join forever.

We only get a choice on paying the price of club class, in terms of effort & Information.

That opens up, a better choice of
Gym, exercise classes, cookery inc

Or

Choose the "We know what's best for you" route
Which imho has the potential for very dire consequences

Looks like we both chose "Club class"
Yes, we definitely both very wisely chose club class.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Another inspiration from Lin Fengmian
View attachment 49765

I have been a little quiet this week, because something upsetting happened last Thursday.
My new neighbour and his friend from the side where the old lady died during Covid appeared. I have not seen them before. So, I went over to introduce myself, and also explained I was deaf and wouldn't hear him if he said good morning, or whatever and I couldn't see him (people think I am ignoring them).
They were making a lot of noise with machinery, so I came back indoors from my back garden.
But it wasn't until the evening when they had left I realised what they had done to the boundary hedge and bushes on my side (for privacy and against the winds).
I had kept them all trimmed so they did not go over the boundary wall.
Yet with his chainsaw, unknown to me he had cut down huge swathes over on my side, up to well over a metre in some places. In one place he cut down all my roses (into about two metres of my property) which normally grow over my potting shed.
But the worst was the scattered bird's nests...

I was incredibly sad, and very very angry.

He has broken the law on two counts. Cutting into my property. And destroying nesting birds.
My new neighbour hasn't even moved in yet, and I haven't seen him again since, which is a pretty good job he has not made another appearance...

I have spoken to friends. I emailed my insurance company yesterday. I have an extra insurance which deals with all kinds of things including neighbourhood disputes and law cases. I have an appointment at their local offices this morning with a dedicated handler. And I have a pdf of photos of the damage and birds nests, and I have one nest I will take in. (As an aside, I realise how much of my thatch from my thatched swing has gone into these nests).

The dedicated handler will phone the police on my behalf (I cannot hear on the phone to do that), and get two crime report numbers for me. And we shall go from there.

The birds have not been singing in my garden this past week. It has been as quiet as the grave.

I cannot forgive this new neighbour for what he has done to my nesting birds...
That is so horrible @gennepher. I can't believe they would do something so destructive and against the law. Thank goodness you had that extra insurance.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is so horrible @gennepher. I can't believe they would do something so destructive and against the law. Thank goodness you had that extra insurance.
One thing that stood out for me back in The Old Country was how farmers left hedges, with nesting and fledging birds, alone until roughly clock change time in Autumn. It was only "incomers" who trimmed hedges too early. Mainly fenced here and so many rental properties given an annual spruce up by contractors. I miss hedging in the Autumn it was one of those things which gave "shape" to my year. How does one give a year "shape" when we as a country are now mainly divorced from the unique geographical location and history in which we live? Breckland is definitely not Fenland but this Close could be anywhere in the UK (but with a heavy US slant) It doesn't "fit" with the surrounding villages.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all vegans, after analysing my diet me and me's have concluded we are 70% vegan, 30% carnivore and 15% neanderthal. Life is good.

Yesterday a straight 6 and today a 5.1 on that expletive, expletive meter.

Yesterday Mrs J suggested I go for a motorcycle ride, while Mrs J would visit a friend. Very kind of her I thought.

Like a fool I had forgotten the her friend lives next to a garden center, but the car boot was full of solar lights, wind chimes and green weeds when she returned home, not so bad you might think, but the car is an estate.......Today I shall be licking my wounds, financial and mental. Score Mrs J 1-Alf -3.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all vegans, after analysing my diet me and me's have concluded we are 70% vegan, 30% carnivore and 15% neanderthal. Life is good.

Yesterday a straight 6 and today a 5.1 on that expletive, expletive meter.

Yesterday Mrs J suggested I go for a motorcycle ride, while Mrs J would visit a friend. Very kind of her I thought.

Like a fool I had forgotten the her friend lives next to a garden center, but the car boot was full of solar lights, wind chimes and green weeds when she returned home, not so bad you might think, but the car is an estate.......Today I shall be licking my wounds, financial and mental. Score Mrs J 1-Alf -3.
Dry you eyes mate ;) A fine performance by Mrs A J. Always best to accept being beaten by a superior opponent and strive for that standard.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.6 today

a misty morning for our shopping trip but then the sun came out so we took our salad over to Mum's and sat in the garden after we dropped off her shopping :D

Cooking a couple of packs of heck sausages I got at reduced price this evening ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - another well painted scene, the water is glowing and lucid with those hints of blue green :) I like it.

@dunelm - I love today's tree, the trunk has such a great dynamic form contrasted with the lighter foliage and other textures, works really well :)

@Krystyna23040 - very well done you :joyful:

@Muddy Cyclist - looks good, but as you say rather busy during the day.
Lovely pencil sketches, you seem to have cracked working those coloured pencils :)

@SlimLizzy - eating out can be a bit of a lottery sometimes can't it?

One of the funniest things I've seen was my mum's face when her beautiful vegetable terrine starter arrived, (we were touring in Normandy and she was trying to avoid seafood just for a change), perched on their legs on top of the terrine glaring back at her were a couple of whopping cooked freshwater crayfish :hilarious:

art bit -

windy day, painted on Hahnemuhle Britannia
View attachment 49757
Thank you, these coloured pencil blend wonderfully, Faber Castell Polychromes.

That's a lovely wind swept landscape you have painted a smashing light on the water and I can feel the wind whipping the sea and sand, brilliant.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Splendid and good that you can make the time with all the important things going on like the Cnut sea stuff. Wonder how you draw things out of focus?
Thank you.

Out of focus drawing is is easy after spending Too much time in the sea, uncontrollable shivers. :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Another inspiration from Lin Fengmian
View attachment 49765

I have been a little quiet this week, because something upsetting happened last Thursday.
My new neighbour and his friend from the side where the old lady died during Covid appeared. I have not seen them before. So, I went over to introduce myself, and also explained I was deaf and wouldn't hear him if he said good morning, or whatever and I couldn't see him (people think I am ignoring them).
They were making a lot of noise with machinery, so I came back indoors from my back garden.
But it wasn't until the evening when they had left I realised what they had done to the boundary hedge and bushes on my side (for privacy and against the winds).
I had kept them all trimmed so they did not go over the boundary wall.
Yet with his chainsaw, unknown to me he had cut down huge swathes over on my side, up to well over a metre in some places. In one place he cut down all my roses (into about two metres of my property) which normally grow over my potting shed.
But the worst was the scattered bird's nests...

I was incredibly sad, and very very angry.

He has broken the law on two counts. Cutting into my property. And destroying nesting birds.
My new neighbour hasn't even moved in yet, and I haven't seen him again since, which is a pretty good job he has not made another appearance...

I have spoken to friends. I emailed my insurance company yesterday. I have an extra insurance which deals with all kinds of things including neighbourhood disputes and law cases. I have an appointment at their local offices this morning with a dedicated handler. And I have a pdf of photos of the damage and birds nests, and I have one nest I will take in. (As an aside, I realise how much of my thatch from my thatched swing has gone into these nests).

The dedicated handler will phone the police on my behalf (I cannot hear on the phone to do that), and get two crime report numbers for me. And we shall go from there.

The birds have not been singing in my garden this past week. It has been as quiet as the grave.

I cannot forgive this new neighbour for what he has done to my nesting birds...
Rotten experience, so sorry.

Winner though for the wonderful artwork.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from under a hesitant sky here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel a late chicken salad came in at 5.4 this am

Another glorious day yesterday and another bottle of factor 50 makes the cut, looks as though it may not be needed today though. The heat of the past few days has made my eyes feel quite gritty. I do suffer with dry eyes and have had to squirt Viscotears in every hour or so - usually it’s twice a day. Hey ho. We haven’t seen the news for a week now but I expect that the planet is still hurtling round the sun and nobody has fallen off.
Another sheet of rice paper that was experimented upon with monoprint. Looked a bit bird like so I added a beak. Hope that everyone is well - we missed bin day yesterday - tragic! Best drown my sorrow with a koffy.

View attachment 49766
Hug for gritty eyes and missing Bin Day.

Winner for imaginative artwork, a good eye you have sir.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went this morning to the insurance offices. The tattooed lady (from head to fingers and toes, I think I mentioned her quite some time ago) will be dealing with me. I explained everything, and the fact i couldn't phone in to the police to get the crime numbers. I need two. She is a lovely lady (although to meet her on a dark night you might think you have wandered in Ray Bradbury's 'The Illustrated man'), and understood without me explaining that ny deafness poses a few problems. She rang the police for me, and I had to authorise that verbally over the phone even though I couldn't hear what questions they were asking over the phone. And she gave me a mobile number so I can text her easily if there are any other problems. So that is in motion wherever it goes, both for AH new neighbour illegally cutting my border bushes right over on my property up to a couple of metres, and also for him destroying the bird's nests on a hedge which was not his. The bird's nest that was intact was hanging on half of what was left of my cherry tree. The AH new neighbour had massacred my cherry tree, and none of it was on his property, it was all on my property, not even a branch was overhanging on to his property,

The reason I did this initially, was for the old lady who had lived there many years. I didn't want to cause her any problems with overhanging plants or branches. And so I trimmed all that regularly, and I was carrying on with that even when she died a year ago. I was being a considerate neighbour.

But this has all left me very very tired. So exhausted that I have nothing left. It is like my body has given up. Every scrap of energy has vacuumed out of it by some unseen entities.

@jjraak I don't see how this can resolve amicably. He has committed two crimes here, and I cannot forgive him for what he has done to the birds and their nests. And he has destroyed my peace and my sanctuary and privacy.

Thanks @Muddy Cyclist

Thank you @Krystyna23040 I would never dream of cutting well over into someone else's property. He has pulled out my flowering Clematis (which was in full bloom) as well, which again was all on my property, He has cut my beautiful scented roses right down to about nearly 2 metres over on my property. And cut them down to about a metre in height. And much more, all on my property. I have always been careful not to let any of my vegetation intrude on the property next door.

Thanks @ianpspurs I am very sad this has also caused the birds now to leave my garden. My garden is my sanctuary...or was...

Thank you very much @dunelm Yes the insurance company are taking it seriously, and I have a lovely helpful lady. It has destroyed my peace in my garden, as well as the peace and safety of my birds. Next time I move house, I want at least a full football pitch length between me and any neighbours...

Thank you very much @RFSMarch

What am I doing to get my peace and sanity back? Because that is my first priority. I cannot put the bungalow up for sale and move. The AH new neighbour has also cut down my roses at the other end of the low wall which now allows his security light which is now left on all night to beam into my bedroom window. It is like he has invaded every aspect of my property. I bought a lottery ticket this morning. I can only hope.

Well, I have a Buddliea bush in the middle of my garden. It grows very virulently. It is white, and the leaves it grows are very big and thick and stay on pretty much all winter. The butterflies love it, and it is not the variety of Buddliea which is regarded as a pest nor is it invasive, and it does not self seed. But you only have to break a stick off it, push it in the ground, and it will grow very quickly. So as a barrier to his security light shining into my garden, it will be very effective. I have already put in 3 sticks of it on the ground, by his security light are, 3 metres into my property from the wall. I have also ordered some more camouflage netting, and that will be 'filling' the other gaps the AH new neighbour. The camouflage netting came today, so I will put that in the gaps tomorrow. But I need a good night's sleep first.

I think I am going to plant that white Buddliea bush sticks all the way along the dividing wall between me and AH new neighbour. I will keep the height down to a reasonable height, but that is it.

I didn't mention before, but AH new neighbour has also butchered the hedge between me and him, also on my property, so I cannot go out and sit on J's and Meg's bench for a quiet cup of coffee in the morning without being viewed by him and the whole street. Again, I had trimmed the bits on his side so nothing went over the wall, but he deigned to cut over into my property.

I have just decided that the white Buddliea sticks will be at the back of J's and Meg's bench, and that will create my privacy again. Although not immediately, but give that white Buddliea a couple of months and it will be about a metre and a half high.

I think the butterflies might find heaven in my garden this year.

I miss my birds not feeding off my suet feeders. I could watch them from my bed. I hope they will return soon...

I knew there was a heck of a lot of birdsong from the hedge in my back garden between me and AH new neighbour, but they were nesting there. Was he trying to get rid of that noise?

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from under a hesitant sky here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel a late chicken salad came in at 5.4 this am

Another glorious day yesterday and another bottle of factor 50 makes the cut, looks as though it may not be needed today though. The heat of the past few days has made my eyes feel quite gritty. I do suffer with dry eyes and have had to squirt Viscotears in every hour or so - usually it’s twice a day. Hey ho. We haven’t seen the news for a week now but I expect that the planet is still hurtling round the sun and nobody has fallen off.
Another sheet of rice paper that was experimented upon with monoprint. Looked a bit bird like so I added a beak. Hope that everyone is well - we missed bin day yesterday - tragic! Best drown my sorrow with a koffy.

View attachment 49766
It looks like a vulture with massive wings. May it come and guard my garden against chain saw wielding intruders please @dunelm

Reactions: jjraak