coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Good Morning fellow diabetics
I think I'm getting overly confused and concerned with what I'm doing.
Now aged 70, I find that I sometimes have to read a post, or even a sentence, over and over again to take it in.
The thing is ... I began to drop carbs just this week ... and 'have' posted for advice, but I'm still struggling to get it right.
Every day this week I have skipped breakfast and never eaten before 11am, and the first day it was 3pm
Although not eating, I'm having pure orange juice (minute amount topped up with hot water), followed by Green tea to begin the day. I am an Earl Grey lover, so have that every few hours too ... mainly without cream, although add it at times.
I'm eating large salads topped up with things like Beefburger, or Tuna for first meal, with a small handful of Brazil, Almond or Pecan nuts as a snack, or an occasional square of Lindt 85% ... but just the one square.
I have a very small dinner at around 4.30/5pm such as chicken with salad or veggies.
I am careless in that I mislay things, and after moving here a year back I've no idea where my meter is packed!
I've searched drawers, cupboards and some still to sort boxes and anyway I'm pretty sure the test strips must be out of date!
I don't know how long they last.
I'm one of those people who always feels a right nuisance asking for help (of any kind in fact) so try to work everything out myself. This has meant becoming a carpenter, plasterer and painter/decorator since moving too :D
I've read hundreds of posts on this site, and the other day I actually found an article on Google that explained that HUGE mystery to me of what HB1C meant. It's been bugging me forever! It was such a relief to finally understand what you're all going on about! I just felt too stupid to ask, even at my GP's office.
I sound like a new diabetic, but have had it since January 2016 and even controlled it well until 2018 when tragedies struck my life, in the form of two sudden deaths and my partner leaving me, followed of course by Covid and being imprisoned as it were.
I'm trying to get to that happy stage of being in control again so decided to lower the carbs drastically (for me anyway)
I'd say that they must be about 25 to 30 per day at this present time, but I still feel as if I'm floundering in the dark.
The last two days I've had cramps in my back lower leg on waking. I always thought that lack of salt caused this, but perhaps it's lack of carbs? Maybe I'm meant to take a vitamin supplement while reducing carbs.
I'm frightened that I may give up simply because I cannot find a way of understanding my body and what I'm putting it through. I really don't have the confidence that I need so really have to fully understand in plain English what I'm doing (right or wrong) I envy folk who can just ask, or take in everything. Well anyway, here goes with Day 6. Onward and upward!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @coby, I think you are doing yourself a disservice! You are doing EVERYTHING right as far as I can see, you are low carbing, you are doing your research, you are being proactive and finding out how it all works and what the tests are for, yes, you may have lost your meter but you still know and understand how crucial it is (maybe you can get another one, sometimes you can get the meter for free and then pay for the test strips??). The confidence will come when you see the positive results of your actions, ie the testing. You sound like you've had a fair bit of upheaval in your life and yet you are still battling on, many don't. Honestly, you are doing GREAT, well done to you!!! x

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lack of salt?
If you give up processed food and go very low carb you may need to add some salt to your meals. I put a little in my flaxseed porridge if I'm not having any brought in sauces or dressings.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby, I think you are doing yourself a disservice! You are doing EVERYTHING right as far as I can see, you are low carbing, you are doing your research, you are being proactive and finding out how it all works and what the tests are for, yes, you may have lost your meter but you still know and understand how crucial it is (maybe you can get another one, sometimes you can get the meter for free and then pay for the test strips??). The confidence will come when you see the positive results of your actions, ie the testing. You sound like you've had a fair bit of upheaval in your life and yet you are still battling on, many don't. Honestly, you are doing GREAT, well done to you!!! x
Hello and good morning KK123. I suppose I have been somewhat overwhelmed with all that I've gone through since late 2018, plus on top of all this I have to care for an Autistic daughter, and of course it's difficult and challenging when unable to easily access GP's at present. I'm hoping that any improvement in my health and energy levels due to low carbing will start to give me confidence with it. I just so want to get it right x

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Coby, I think you're doing very well; your regime is sound and your attitude is admirably sensible and practical. Keep it up! I myself am the easily confused type, but I have found that simplicity is the key to efficiency. I think if you keep things simple, you won't go far wrong.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lack of salt?
If you give up processed food and go very low carb you may need to add some salt to your meals. I put a little in my flaxseed porridge if I'm not having any brought in sauces or dressings.
TriciaWs, thank you for that tip. I think it might be a good idea to do that just to see if it helps with the cramps. It's not a muscle that has ever gone into a painful cramp before!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coby, I think you're doing very well; your regime is sound and your attitude is admirably sensible and practical. Keep it up! I myself am the easily confused type, but I have found that simplicity is the key to efficiency. I think if you keep things simple, you won't go far wrong.
Geordie thank you. I really do need to be told that I'm doing this right. It's all alien to me. I will try to read more articles on low carbing. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You do seem to be doing the right things. Do have enough protein and fats to ensure you have the range of vitamins and mineral the body needs. Keeping the carbs down should help a lot.

Reactions: jjraak and coby

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Coby as a sufferer of old age and poverty !!!!:) I have the answer to why we can't remember things nowadays .Because we have so much knowledge ,when we need to remember something it takes longer to come to the surface ,whereas these young ones don't have as much knowledge to trawl through to remember !
I think that you are doing ok
Carol

Reactions: Geordie_P

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Coby as a sufferer of old age and poverty !!!!:) I have the answer to why we can't remember things nowadays .Because we have so much knowledge ,when we need to remember something it takes longer to come to the surface ,whereas these young ones don't have as much knowledge to trawl through to remember !
I think that you are doing ok
Carol
Well I have always been a bit 'scatty' I have to admit lol x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just so want to get it right
Don't worry about getting it right. There's no such thing with diabetes, best to aim for "good enough"
Each of us have different bodies that react differently to the same things. As well as food our bg levels can be affected by
Sleep or lack of it
Exercise or lack of it
Stress or lack of it
Medication
Other conditions
Hormones
...and much more

A meter does help as a guide. They are quite cheap and often get thrown in for free with strips.
I'm tagging @Rachox who has current info for you

And, remember this is life long condition, so you have a life time to learn in, it needn't all be learnt in a few days, and trust me, just when you think you've got it, something will change and you'll need to adapt again, so don't waste time and energy trying to "get it right" just muddle along as best you can, like the rest of us

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't worry about getting it right. There's no such thing with diabetes, best to aim for "good enough"
Each of us have different bodies that react differently to the same things. As well as food our bg levels can be affected by
Sleep or lack of it
Exercise or lack of it
Stress or lack of it
Medication
Other conditions
Hormones
...and much more

A meter does help as a guide. They are quite cheap and often get thrown in for free with strips.
I'm tagging @Rachox who has current info for you

And, remember this is life long condition, so you have a life time to learn in, it needn't all be learnt in a few days, and trust me, just when you think you've got it, something will change and you'll need to adapt again, so don't waste time and energy trying to "get it right" just muddle along as best you can, like the rest of us
Thank you and yes, I do 'cope' in my own way. It's just the niggle of thinking I may be doing more harm than good when I'm not understanding things, but you and others are certainly helping me, so I'm extremely grateful of any/every input x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi coby, and thanks for the tag @MrsA2

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have recently bought out the Gluco Navii, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the discount codes that I have quoted recently so I don’t know if they are still current.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have recently bought out the Gluco Navii, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the discount codes that I have quoted recently so I don’t know if they are still current.

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)
Rachox, than you for your suggestions. I do have a meter .. just that I mislaid it 12 months ago when moving house. It must be here somewhere :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Discount code for the Naavii are still available
Carol

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rachox, than you for your suggestions. I do have a meter .. just that I mislaid it 12 months ago when moving house. It must be here somewhere :D
I have been told that if you contact Spirit Healthcare by phone and order several pots of strips they have been known to give you a meter free - you might need to order lancets as you only get a few in the kit.
I have always noticed how much sharper my mind is when eating a low carb diet - and even though my body took a real hammering when I took Atorvastatin, to the extent that I thought I'd need to go into a care home, it has recovered, and so has my memory

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been told that if you contact Spirit Healthcare by phone and order several pots of strips they have been known to give you a meter free - you might need to order lancets as you only get a few in the kit.
I have always noticed how much sharper my mind is when eating a low carb diet - and even though my body took a real hammering when I took Atorvastatin, to the extent that I thought I'd need to go into a care home, it has recovered, and so has my memory
Resurgam, I have always had a scatty memory. All my life :D
Granted it HAS got worse since my move but that's because I have such responsibility now over everything, whereas before I could call on friends to help me. Added stress!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hello again Rachox. Further to my reply to you on the blood glucose meters, I have searched thoroughly and just cannot find my one anywhere. On the list that you kindly supplied me with you haven't mentioned the one I had, which was the SD Codefree meter. Does this mean it is now discontinued, or is it not reliable enough. I initially plumped for that one because everything came with it as a pack, but the ones you mention are (or appear to be) all purchased independently. I have an old, basic mobile phone so cannot go for anything that you need a phone with it to use. I'm feeling a bit lost!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again Rachox. Further to my reply to you on the blood glucose meters, I have searched thoroughly and just cannot find my one anywhere. On the list that you kindly supplied me with you haven't mentioned the one I had, which was the SD Codefree meter. Does this mean it is now discontinued, or is it not reliable enough. I initially plumped for that one because everything came with it as a pack, but the ones you mention are (or appear to be) all purchased independently. I have an old, basic mobile phone so cannot go for anything that you need a phone with it to use. I'm feeling a bit lost!

Hi @coby , I didn’t mention the SD Code Free as I for one found it becoming less reliable over time. It appeared that the Gluco Navii was going to take the place of the Code Free, however they both continue to be sold. Here’s a link to the meters and strips that Home Health stock:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes