DVLA questionnaire

mcflappers

Hey all,

New to this whole diabetes thing... I was diagnosed on the 12/08/21 with a H1Ac score of 86 and blood glucose of 12. On the 20/08/21 I had my second H1Ac test, came back with a score of 66 and a blood glucose of 4.4. On the same day I informed the DVLA that I have diabetes type 2 and I take Metformin. (Its better to be up front and honest than pay the consequences later on.)

I test my blood every day twice (once before a meal, and then 2 hours after) with an average before of around 4.5 (has been as low as 3.8) and 2 hours after of around 6.5.

lost so far around 5/6KG and try to follow as low carb diet as i possibly can. (I replace bread with riveta crackerbread - doesnt affect me at all on the blood sugar front)

Anyway, back on topic ----------- Today I recieved a letter from the DVLA asking for permission to check my medical records and what not (I cant remember the exact name of the form - it was asking what meds I take, my Drs name and if I can still do all the things that you need to (check a licence in good light with or without glasses at 20m - some of you will know the form I am on about maybe a DIAB1 form?)

This has got me really worried that I am going to be losing my licence. Will I lose it? (I know its impossible for someone to tell me until they give me an answer, BUT I am hoping that there is at least one more person that has gone through what I am)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mcflappers and welcome to the forum you didn’t want to join!
What a shame you have told the DVLA. As a type 2 on diet and Metformin doesn’t have to:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf
I don’t think that you’ll have your licence cancelled (just my opinion mind). I hope you can undo this somehow.
However while we are on the subject of driving, you do need to inform your insurers, but it should not affect your ins premium.

mcflappers

Hi @mcflappers and welcome to the forum you didn’t want to join!
What a shame you have told the DVLA. As a type 2 on diet and Metformin doesn’t have to:
I don’t think that you’ll have your licence cancelled (just my opinion mind). I hope you can undo this somehow.
However while we are on the subject of driving, you do need to inform your insurers, but it should not affect your ins premium.

Hey, thankyou for your reply. I did have a feeling that I wouldnt have to inform them, however I figured it would be just for piece of mind? (I dont know, I am trying to rationalize it to myself I guess.)

I have already told my insurance on the same day I told the DVLA.

I guess the only thing I can do now, is wait and see. If it does come back that they will be revoking my licence then its cheaper for me I guess - no tax, no insurance, no finance, no petrol, no MOT (trying to look on the positives haha). I am suspecting that they wont revoke it, I am sure there are many people that are on insulin etc that drive.

Reactions: Rachox

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess the only thing I can do now, is wait and see. If it does come back that they will be revoking my licence then its cheaper for me I guess - no tax, no insurance, no finance, no petrol, no MOT (trying to look on the positives haha). I am suspecting that they wont revoke it, I am sure there are many people that are on insulin etc that drive.

If you don't have hypos (very very very very few do with just metformin) you should be perfectly fine (presuming nothing else would cause it eg penalty points lol)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be something that the staff have decided to do - I expected no problem with my renewal on my 70th birthday, but that was in April and I am still waiting.
It might be easiest to allow access to your doctor - I think they are paid for doing the checks so they will be happy, probably.

Reactions: zand

mcflappers

Hey guys, thankyou for your replies @Resurgam and @Rokaab - I am going to assume that I wont have it revoked, HOWEVER if I do have it revoked, then I have a contingency plan in place, which is all I can do at this point.

Thankyou all once again for your replies, put my mind at ease over it all, but hey, what will be...... will be

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, thankyou for your replies @Resurgam and @Rokaab - I am going to assume that I wont have it revoked, HOWEVER if I do have it revoked, then I have a contingency plan in place, which is all I can do at this point.

Thankyou all once again for your replies, put my mind at ease over it all, but hey, what will be...... will be
I am Type 1 on insulin, they are interested if you are on insulin, which you are not. They swapped mine for a renew every 3 years licence. I doubt they will even do this for you if you are not on insulin and don’t have hypos. I wouldn’t worry,

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, thankyou for your reply. I did have a feeling that I wouldnt have to inform them, however I figured it would be just for piece of mind? (I dont know, I am trying to rationalize it to myself I guess.)

I have already told my insurance on the same day I told the DVLA.

I have recently been through that mill as I passed the 70 yrs milestone. It took a while for them to contact the doctor etc, but I got my licence renewed ok.
First thing. You are able to drive up to the date they revoke it unless informed by a doctor not to drive. Even if you have sent your licence back to them.

Second thing - DVLA is currently suffering a backlog of over 6 months to respond to renewals, I renewed mine in June, and I have not had any response yet.

Lastly, I am on a medication that can cause hypo's, so they are interested in my medical history in case I am underreporting hypo events. I have also had 2 strokes and 4 heart attacks and also had laser surgery on both eyes. Unlikely then that your small excursion into diabetes land will raise much interest in Swansea.

I presume you can meet the eyesight requirements and have not required any assistance to recover from a hypo event,

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hey all,

New to this whole diabetes thing... I was diagnosed on the 12/08/21 with a H1Ac score of 86 and blood glucose of 12. On the 20/08/21 I had my second H1Ac test, came back with a score of 66 and a blood glucose of 4.4. On the same day I informed the DVLA that I have diabetes type 2 and I take Metformin. (Its better to be up front and honest than pay the consequences later on.)

I test my blood every day twice (once before a meal, and then 2 hours after) with an average before of around 4.5 (has been as low as 3.8) and 2 hours after of around 6.5.

lost so far around 5/6KG and try to follow as low carb diet as i possibly can. (I replace bread with riveta crackerbread - doesnt affect me at all on the blood sugar front)

Anyway, back on topic ----------- Today I recieved a letter from the DVLA asking for permission to check my medical records and what not (I cant remember the exact name of the form - it was asking what meds I take, my Drs name and if I can still do all the things that you need to (check a licence in good light with or without glasses at 20m - some of you will know the form I am on about maybe a DIAB1 form?)

This has got me really worried that I am going to be losing my licence. Will I lose it? (I know its impossible for someone to tell me until they give me an answer, BUT I am hoping that there is at least one more person that has gone through what I am)
No you won't lose your licence as your not on meds that they care about as a car or motorcycle license

Craggie1963

Hi mcflappers

I’m a type 2 diabetic and on metformin, I have been for the last 8 years, my occupation is a bus driver which I’ve been doing for the last 16 years, my diabetic nurse told me I didn’t have to inform the dvla which I didn’t, then last year I went for a medical due to my age and informed them then, they sent my licence back no problem, no extra questions or anything, hope that helps