Pomegranate juice

Knoebels1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They say that pomegranate juice is good for diabetics online all over the internet it says that 30 minutes after drinking it that it drops your sugar but when I tried drinking it being a type 2 my sugar shot up why would that be? Any thoughts?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Knoebels1 and welcome to the forum. Pomegranate juice is around 10g of carbohydrate per 250ml glassful, most of those carbs are sugars in liquid form which will be absorbed quickly, hence the spike.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS likes to tell us that we should be eating a ‘healthy’ low fat, whole grain diet. They are wrong too. The internet ( apart form this site, of course…;)) is full of what a nicely-brought up work colleague liked to describe as See-Rap.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It says it is good for diabetics because it is high in antioxidants

I think it's the eternal Ying & yang of T2D.

Just like others, we still needs lots of things From the foods we eat etc, to keep ourselves healthy.

So keeping that healthy balance of just enough of all the essential nutrients, vitamins etc can be a see saw of judgement's..

Basically, does the benefits outweigh the risks ?

Bear in mind, on here most have read up and are invested in T2D & associated information

Many will aim to be well controlled and have goals of in and around 42 HBA1c or lower and 7mmol FBG or lower

Many HCP & literature I've come across have success being registered at a much higher level....which is also known as not so well controlled ..

so I'd take any statements on Google with a pinch of salt.

Because sadly one persons miracle food might not work for others
Otherwise T2D wouldn't be the problem it is for far too many of us .

So, we must become the detectives in our own kitchen murder mystery... " who's trying to kill me ? "

And end up having to eat & test all the foods we'd like to eat, to see if they affect US. even if everyone else says they won't...because some will.

We're all different, as I'm sure you know.
Only way to find out is :

to cook it
Eat it
And test it.
before & after.

Let us know how it goes :)

M

Member496333

All fruit juice is the very worst thing a type 2 diabetic can drink. It’s glucose and fructose in a glass. It’s the quickest way to get diabetes. Any information to the contrary is incorrect or straight up deliberately misleading.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Knoebels1 and welcome to the forum.

First of all a lot of stuff on the internet just generally is unfortunately not true. I think the virus can show its of examples of that. So that is one thing. But (and more importantly) many medical practitioners have a view of type 2 diabetes as progressive with no way of stopping that progression. That is not a view I share. So before you believe anything in relation to type 2 I am going to suggest something.

My suggestion is to invest in a meter (if you haven't already) and start experimenting on yourself. I suggest keeping a log of the results and what you ate and find out what your body can tolerate. The recommendation is to test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite and looking for a rise of less than 2. If something produces that result then that is something that your body can tolerate. Then you can consider whether it is beneficial in any other way. For example I could eat a steak- have a rise of less than 2 and decide it is good for me as a type 2 as I need to keep my iron levels up.

For me personally- I have gone very low carb so fruit juice is not something I would even consider drinking. But- and there is always a but- your body is different to mine, your activities different to mine and your age is different so you may be able to tolerate things I cannot. The meter is the key. The meter is the tool that has no biases and just gives you information.

Good luck and welcome.

D

Deleted member 543160

@Knoebels1 - you have the choice of believing what your body has told you, or what someone else says on the web - just because it's been posted there doesn't make it gospel truth.

The fact is that pomegranate juice is full of sugar which will raise glucose levels, but you can make a personal decision regarding whether it's worth accepting this for whatever other benefits you believe it may have. You could try eating some pomegranate seeds instead and see what they do to your glucose, or look for other, non-spikey, foods which offer similar benefits.

M

Member496333

Keep in mind that a measurable rise in glucose is only half the picture with fruit. The ninja assassin is the fructose which generally will not be measurable but will promote fatty liver and incrementally increase insulin resistance. A glucometer is an invaluable tool, but it doesn’t always tell the whole story. Type 2 diabetes is a very complex metabolic derangement, and elevated blood glucose is just one symptom.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They say that pomegranate juice is good for diabetics online all over the internet it says that 30 minutes after drinking it that it drops your sugar but when I tried drinking it being a type 2 my sugar shot up why would that be? Any thoughts?
Because it's fruit juice and at a guess full of fructose. Many things on the internet are not true.

M

Member496333

The scariest part is that governments also push similar rhetoric. Starchy carbohydrates and lots of fruit recommended for type 2 diabetics. At least on the internet you have a 50/50 chance of getting the truth. I have no idea why otherwise savvy people trust governments with any matters of public health, but that’s another conversation for another day.

Reactions: jjraak

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Then why does it say allll over that it reduces your sugar that’s what I am wondering
There's a lot of extremely stupid advice all over the internet. Drinking lots of sugar is not going to reduce your blood sugar. Don't take my word for it: test your blood sugar levels and see what they say.

Reactions: jjraak