question about fasting blood sugar values

drago72

i have this, probably basic, question about fasting blood sugars. does it have to be first thing in the morning? or can it be at any time after 8-12 hours fasting?

i'm asking because my morning sugars is about 115, but if i fast during the day for 8-10 hous i get something which is on average about 100. might be 98 or 102 or 103 something like that.

it's something that bothers me, as i dont know which measurement reflects more the true value.

any ideas?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
any ideas?

Many people have a slightly higher blood sugar first thing in the morning, because their livers dump sugar when they wake to help them get through the day.

Unfortunately if you aren't non diabetic this can mean your blood sugar goes up, so I'd argue that if you want to use a fasting blood sugar as a comparison with some global diabetic standard, you probably need to go for the morning one.

Of course, if you are just doing it for your own benefit as a standard of how your diabetes is progressing, then it probably doesn't matter when you do it as long as you stay consistent.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/liver-and-blood-glucose-levels.html

Oh, and many of the folk on this forum are using mmol/L units to describe their bg levels. You are using mg/dL and need to multiply their figures by 18 or divide yours by 18 to do the conversion.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

Hope this helps.

ps. And most glucometers only have an accuracy of +/-15%, so true value may not be so true anyway.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have this, probably basic, question about fasting blood sugars. does it have to be first thing in the morning? or can it be at any time after 8-12 hours fasting?

i'm asking because my morning sugars is about 115, but if i fast during the day for 8-10 hous i get something which is on average about 100. might be 98 or 102 or 103 something like that.

it's something that bothers me, as i dont know which measurement reflects more the true value.

any ideas?

I have been testing my fasting bg consistently on odd hours for a long time, it’s just me and that’s how I keep on track.

Eat dinner at 5-pm and then eat breakfast fast at 2 or 3 am. Day time 8/10 fasting will probably be low because of being active.

My fasting bg is always 82-88(4.6-4.9) average. My last A1c was 5.6(38)and I don’t take meds. I am not suggesting to anyone, we all are different with different lifestyles. Good luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i dont know which measurement reflects more the true value.
They all reflect the "true value" of the reading at that point.
Your blood sugar levels are pretty dynamic and react to all sorts of things.
To be honest readings of 115-98 or 6.4-5.4 are pretty much "normal" so...