Is My GP Serious!?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Seriously!! Wow what a suprise. Gives me something to think about viewing it in sugar cubes.

nosignolife

Silly question, test strips in date?, not contaminated etc. Do a control test, make sure the machine is reading correctly before betting your life on it. Did the GP test your bloods with their machine and get the same reading?
if after all of the above your readings are still high, then get to see the doctor again, or another GP in the same practice, and ask them to re check it. Did they get you to have. HBA1C test, which is a blood test carried out that gives a reading based on a much wider time scale? That would, probably, be a far more accurate test for them to go on.
My own gp missed my diabetes for some time, and i had readings in the mid 20's for some while, so nueropathy and me go hand in hand ! Come back to me for more ideas if you want.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
When I was diagnosed I had finger pricks by the nurse, a fasting and an Hba1c, and a test done at the hospital when I was at the hospital.
Nothing was done this morning.
Test strips are the same pack that was open and Ive had various results from it.
Im having another fasting test on Thursday.
I dont have a test solution for my Freestyle, but Ive got a test strip for my SD.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Holey Moley!!
Ive just tried the SD, the test strip says its ok but my blood just said 12.6 this is crazy now!!!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long ago did you have your breakfast, and have you eaten or drunk anything since which has carbs in it?

C

catherinecherub

Tinytoez,

Having looked at your profile, I would say that some of the other medications you are on, not diabetes related, may be affecting your blood sugars.
If you google them individually and include blood sugars in the search you will see that they can effect your readings. Some of them are cautioned for prescribing in diabetics. It could also be that your test strips are duff ones. This sometimes happens even with expensive meters.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Breakfast was at 9.30 and I havent eaten anything since and Ive had a few mouthfuls of weak sugar free Vimto squash a few mins ago.

Do you think its worth me buying another pack of strips just to see?

Elc1112

I'm type 1 so I have no idea if you can temporarily have type 2 diabetes. When I registered with my new GP he did ask if I was still diabetic though. I really had to fight the urge to respond with "are you still qualified?!".

A

Anonymous

Bran Flakes affect me really badly - doubly so if it's Sultana Bran, which is a shame because I used to eat them by the barrow load.

I had the tingly face thing a few weeks ago and blamed it on the Sitaglyptin (Januvia) that they'd just put me on. It was like my top lip and the skin under my nose was really itchy and sensitive. I stopped the meds and it went away a couple of days later.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Catherine, thanks for that.
Im now wondering if my doctor even attended medical school at all!!
The only one of my meds that are safe are my Colpermin, and they are only peppermint oil, even my pill could mess with my thyroid.
Im stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I dont bleep bleep believe this, the pharmacist has just refused to sell me test sticks when I said I would pay, because we 'only give them to type 1s', my reaction was with sugars this high I need to monitor them, but nothing, he told me to go see the nurse to get tested.
Im fuming.
I have SD strips but they are reading 2. Something higher.

desidiabulum

Whatever else is true you have a very strong case for getting test strips on prescription, I would have thought.

Diabetes UK has produced an advocacy pack to help people with diabetes who have been refused a prescription of blood glucose testing strips or who have had the prescription reduced and would like to challenge the decision. You can access the pack at: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/How%20we%20help%20other/Test%20strips%202011.pdf

Good luck!

C

catherinecherub

I have heard of this happening before from other forum members. I would go to another chemist and tell them you need to test because you are unwell. The stress you are under at the moment means you will not be lying.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Tinytoez said:
I dont bleep bleep believe this, the pharmacist has just refused to sell me test sticks when I said I would pay, because we 'only give them to type 1s', my reaction was with sugars this high I need to monitor them, but nothing, he told me to go see the nurse to get tested.
Im fuming.
I have SD strips but they are reading 2. Something higher.

1) Go to a different chemist
2) Buy some strips
3) Take the strips to the original chemist
4) Wave them in the original chemists face
5) Tell him that he doesn't know his job, is acting irresponsibly, and that you will never frequent his store again.
6) Report him to whoever is in charge of Chemists

I had a similar problem with buying Ketostix once in Boots. By the time I'd finished, the whole store knew about it.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
We have 2 pharmacies where I live, one down my end of the village and one up near the surgery, I go to the one near the surgery if Ive been in there and the one at the other end normally because it is nearer, wont be going in there again me thinks.

A

Anonymous

speaking of pharmacies... here we have pharmacies that claim to supply all diabetic supplies. When you visit the problem is they have some stock and not other stock. I always have to order my insulin and come back another time to collect it. And weirdly enough they sell needles and lancets, but don't sell sharps containers, etc. Sometimes they don't even sell lancets, all they're out of needles. :lol: I made the comment at the usual pharmacy I visit that if they advertise they service diabetics, then they should pay particular note to have everything in stock... this pharmacy I go to is not little either... so it's not like they don't have room for the stock.

srm100841

I must say that if I'd had a bowl of bran flakes then my BG would also be above 10. In truth my levels rocket with all cereals so I've stopped eating them. For breakfast I normally have bacon and/or eggs etc and my levels remain good. Try altering your breakfast diet to see what does and doesn't affect you.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Tinytoez said:
I have no nut allergy, as far as Im aware I dont have hayfever (Ive got 3 Daffodils in a little vase), I took my Simvastatin about an hour before, I wasnt overly tired, my nose does run for no reason at all, but its usually once Ive eaten something. The only known allergies I have are Flucloxacillin antibiotics, but I havent had them in years, and pineapple but havent eaten any of that and it makes my lips sore tingly not tingly like that.

If I was you I'd try removing the daffodils! Sounds daft I know, but I seem to be allergic to them.

Background - had hay fever/allergic asthma for 14 years after having whooping cough at age 13 (don't recommend that - very nasty! Good for weight loss, though :shock: ) All was well after that until I was in my 50s. Then I started allergic reactions to hyacinths, scented candles, almost all cut flowers and now daffs - in that order! I can't have any flowers in the house, except orchids.

I don't have your tingling, and it doesn't seem to affect my BGs, but every morning at the moment I wake up with a sneezy, runny nose which responds very well to a single over-the-counter antihistamine, though I usually get them from the GP. I also have an inhaler for bed-time, otherwise I wake up a bit wheezy. Mattress is okay, as are pillows - pretty new.

My brother got the same thing in his 50s, at about the same time of year. Tree pollen can be a problem, too.

Viv 8)

iHs

Hi

Rather than have all the hassle you are having trying to get bg strips for your meter from a pharmacy, get them from eBay instead; they will be cheaper and arrive straight through your letterbox - simples :D.