Low carb daily diets.

Nicksellick

Hi All,
I am interested to know what people actually eat on their low carb and Keto diets.
Examples of breakfasts, lunches, etc.
Are there meal plans on this site?
Thank you.
Nick.

D

Deleted member 475901

I struggle with a cooked breakfast, especially eggs in the morning so developed a flaxseed-based porridge.

I either have protein such as cheese, or a very low-carb cake for lunch, with coffee or don't have lunch.

Simple dinners would usually be chicken, fish or egg based with 2-3 servings of green veg/salad and maybe cauliflower rice/mash. I like to add spices or herbs to the protein to vary my meals, or just lemon juice on fish with black pepper.
Other low carb veg include mushrooms so I can make a stir fry with the cauliflower rice.
Or a chicken curry - tomato or cream-based are best.
I use turkey mince to make a spaghetti bolognese style sauce, with either courgetti or just green beans and cheese. The turkey/mushroom/tomato mix can last me 5 days so I may add chilli to two portions instead of Italian herbs.

Then either greek yogurt with berries or a low carb rhubarb 'crumble' made with ground almonds instead of flour that I serve with double cream or real egg sugar-free custard.

Today I had the last of some mash made from a mix of 'mashed potato' squash and cauliflower topped with poached eggs, as I've had a large filling this afternoon.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Typical for me:
1. Breakfast - now none. Until fat adapted 2 boiled eggs (often cooked a day or 2 in advance).
2. Lunch - meat (either cold sliced 'deli' meat) or fish (smoked or canned) with lots of salad veg (mixed leaves, radish, cucumber, celery, red or yellow capsicum, various seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, chia, ground flax seed).
3. Dinner - usually a hot meal of meat or fish with low carb veg such as cauliflower, broccoli, courgette, aubergine, marrow, celeriac.

Reactions: Nicksellick

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Today,
Breakfast nothing
Lunch nothing
Dinner x2 burgers with salad followed by jelly & cream
total 9 grams, 23/1 Intermittent fast (my best yet)

• Winner
Reactions: ziggy_w and jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
An afterthought. My daily meals may seem plain at first glance, but they include home made (or restaurant) Thai or Indian curries plus stir-fry dishes. Just make veg substitutions for the rice!

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I am interested to know what people actually eat on their low carb and Keto diets.
Thank you.
Nick.
It is more the things I exclude rather than having particular meals which make the difference.
For dinner tonight I had beef, mushrooms and mashed swede. My husband had the same beef with peas and potatoes.
I do eat chocolate, but not the usual stuff, which is heavy on the sugar to make it cheaper to produce.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
Thank you.
Nick.
There are meal plans - you'll find them here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/members-area.85/

For me -

Breakfast - coffee with cream, and then more coffee. Occasionally bacon sandwiches using SRSLY low carb (3g) rolls. Even less frequently a full Ulster Fry (although minus the breads it isn't really an Ulster fry) - eggs, bacon, 98% meat sausage, tomato, black and white puddings (around 14% carb so not a lot of these) mushrooms, leftover cabbage and swede (makes decent bubble and squeak), all fried in lard. The reason I don't have this often is that I won't want to eat for 24-36 hours or more after one and it screws up weekend planning.

Lunch: irregular - olives, cheeses, salamis, hams, polish sausage, bratwurst etc. never very much or I won't want to eat in the evening and therefore often forgotten about.

Evening: meat based, often stews, chillis and curries: steak (beef/pork/lamb); proper beef or lamb burgers with no filler; fish, sometimes fried, grilled or roasted sometimes in a stew/soup; eggs - omelette, scrambled eggs etc: chicken - caesar salad, "chicken roast dinner" minus potatoes, chicken with leeks and cream.

If I want a dessert I'll either do a sugar free jelly with berries, or raspberries/strawberries and cream.

We probably have enough options to do a month's food without repetition. We never do that because I usually batch cook and cover maybe four meals from two recipes. If we're busy the batch cooking volume increases. My other half isn't diabetic but doesn't eat a great deal of carb. I'll sometimes do potatoes or pasta for her if required, and she always can have bread.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Nicksellick .

Great answers above, so I can't add more except to say that when I first had lchf under some control, I did often still find myself a little hungry after .

I didn't really want a bigger dinner, I was trying to manage what I ate, but I needed a little 'something' to satiate that hunger itch.

Not one for deserts pre DX, but as a few posts above do remind me, low cal jelly & cream/berries did the trick for me.

Only needed it for a short while until I adapted to the diet.

Worth considering if you find the same issue.

On a similar note, I did originally get a bit despondent when trying faithfully to recreate old favourites, but soon learned I had to adapt a little if I was going to make a success of lchf, and that it was the combo of textures & flavour that make any meal.

For example while many make or buy cauliflower rice, I found it a faff, and now much prefer to just chop up a cauliflow either roughly or into 'steaks' and roast in oven , and serve alongside or under a curry, etc.
Much easier/cleaner & imho tastier.

Best of luck finding a meal plan that works for you . :cool:

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I find it a nightmare going away unless I fully self cater. Now a days many places have gone more and more towards fast foods. A pub restaurant we had been to who actually served proper meals has gone fast foods‍♀‍

• Agree
  • Hug
Reactions: filly and jjraak

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Currently on an all in week course, nightmare for food, very high carb cheap meals, wasn’t like that b4. They’d had many months notice and a reminder b4 going, gad to speak to the manager. Better but basic and nothing for desserts, not even fruit . I find that no one considers LCD’s

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I make up a box of mixed seeds, chia, poppy, sesame, crushed linseed, ground sunflower seed, ground pumpkin seed and mix. I put a scoop on cereal with some cinnamon to hopefully make the cereal slower release. You can use this mix on varied foods, but it is not a cure.
I am a good cook, cake, desserts everything and having to deny myself the joy of eating them is depressing.

• Hug

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make up a box of mixed seeds, chia, poppy, sesame, crushed linseed, ground sunflower seed, ground pumpkin seed and mix. I put a scoop on cereal with some cinnamon to hopefully make the cereal slower release. You can use this mix on varied foods, but it is not a cure.
I am a good cook, cake, desserts everything and having to deny myself the joy of eating them is depressing.
If your a good cook and you like baking cakes etc just google “low carb or keto …… whatever cake or pudding you fancy (or indeed any recipe at all) and you will get a plethora of goodies to make. No need to miss out at all. I don’t bake very much as I don’t miss sweet stuff but the only thing that has alluded me is a low carb pastry for savoury pies, can’t find one I like enough to make again

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If your a good cook and you like baking cakes etc just google “low carb or keto …… whatever cake or pudding you fancy (or indeed any recipe at all) and you will get a plethora of goodies to make. No need to miss out at all. I don’t bake very much as I don’t miss sweet stuff but the only thing that has alluded me is a low carb pastry for savoury pies, can’t find one I like enough to make again
Have you tried using almond flour mixed with wheat flour? Trying mixing plain or SR flour with almond flour, try different ratio’s. If I make cake , which I haven’t for ages, I do mix those flours, the almond flour actually gives it a better flavour. I will mix mixed seeds in with good quality digestive biscuits to balance the carb, actually got a compliment from daughter and that’s saying sommat!

• Useful

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried using almond flour mixed with wheat flour? Trying mixing plain or SR flour with almond flour, try different ratio’s. If I make cake , which I haven’t for ages, I do mix those flours, the almond flour actually gives it a better flavour. I will mix mixed seeds in with good quality digestive biscuits to balance the carb, actually got a compliment from daughter and that’s saying sommat!
At 30g of carbs for 50g of wheat flour, I don't think I personally could find a good ratio to use it for any benefit, 50g of almond flour has 4.2g of carbs. Think I'd rather use the 30g carbs on a crispy apple.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the tip but I don’t use standard flours as I do keto so the carbs are far too high in any ratio, I mainly just use ground almonds as like I say I only bake once in a blue moon so any other special flours I buy tend to go out of date before I use them. I spent a fortune in the beginning on low carb flours that all went in the bin lol

• Agree

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s a good quality digestive biscuit? I wouldn’t normally think of “good” “quality” or “biscuit” in the same sentence, can you explain how to balance the carbs please? Do you mean balance the digestive with a huge insulin shot?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I make a cheesecake with a base I make biscuits with almond flour then crush them and add just one digestive biscuit, it make a surprisingly big difference to the crust - my cheesecakes are about 12 + portions so it’s negligible carbs per portion from the digestive biscuit.

If I make cheesecake just for myself I don’t make a crust at all and just pipe it into small glasses or teacups

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only