Don't laugh (or do), why am I going low every time I share a bed with my friend?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I was referring to exercise In general.
However, most of my exercise is unplanned but because the basal reduction is for up to 2 days after that is not a problem because I don’t need to plan.
As I tend to exercise 4 times a week, I am often using my exercise basal dose. I have been doing this for nearly 20 years and have never had a problem with multiple basal rates. In fact, given I have a pump and suspend it when exercising and increase it when stressed, I have more than two basal patterns in use each week.

A dumb question from a person who does not use a pump, but is basal called something different with a pump than with injections? Is it a constant injection of fast-acting insulin at regular intervals? It's just that even a fairly flexible lantus is 24 hours, which seems very long, in order to change it in all cases, except when sex occurs in the evening before the injection

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you're sharing more than the garden! :p ;)
Oh yes, we also share a washing machine and a dryer, and our dogs and cats to an extent! (One of my cats has decided to move in with him, his dog uses my cat entrance to join me and my dogs in bed when he leaves for work at 6 am.)
We also share tools, or mainly I use his because he has almost the complete Makita collection (including the coffee machine and the radio) and some DeWalt, plus at least 14 batteries, and I have cheap stuff which needs an extension cord.
I really hope he won't move out, if only for his tools.

Or wasn't that what you meant?
Being a frequent visitor of the What have you eaten today thread, you've followed all the goings on between my neighbour and I in real time. ;)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A dumb question from a person who does not use a pump, but is basal called something different with a pump than with injections? Is it a constant injection of fast-acting insulin at regular intervals? It's just that even a fairly flexible lantus is 24 hours, which seems very long, in order to change it in all cases, except when sex occurs in the evening before the injection
It is still called basal on a pump as basal refers to background insulin, which may or may not be long acting.
On a my pump, it is given as a very small dose of fast acting insulin every 5 minutes. I can change the amount of insulin every 30 minutes.
Before my pump, I used Lantus which I took every evening before bed and regularly changed the dose after exercise.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a practical point, could there be anything to do with the physical environment around your neighbour's bed? (I'm currently a fan of the endorphin theory).

Do you smoke less nicotine in these circumstances?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a practical point, could there be anything to do with the physical environment around your neighbour's bed? (I'm currently a fan of the endorphin theory).

I'm a fan of the endorphin theory as well at the moment. But yes, slightly less nicotin, although the difference is so small I really don't expect a noticable effect. Still, it's a variable I'd missed, which is what I was looking for!
Does nicotine raise BG?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does nicotine raise BG?
All my googling says it raises insulin resistance, not sure if this is long or short term though.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A dirty mind is a joy forever as they say.
And you are much worse than I am, I was genuinely referring to his range of Makita tools. Although with the coffee machines and radios I wouldn't be surprosed if Makita sold those types of battery powered tools as well.
I'm soooo tempted to go too far and get banned.
I'll just say good night and sleep well!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm soooo tempted to go too far and get banned.
I'll just say good night and sleep well!
Same here.
I now have the useless knowledge that Makita does not have this type of tools available, thanks to Google, and I'll be bombarded with the strangest advertisements on the internet, thanks to my careless search.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Before my pump, I used Lantus which I took every evening before bed and regularly changed the dose after exercise.

so, when training 4 times a week, did you change the dose of lanthus every other day?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so, when training 4 times a week, did you change the dose of lanthus every other day?
Yes I did and I change my basal pattern on my pump at a similar frequency/
I was advised to reduce my basal by 20% (compared with normal) the evening after exercise and by 10% (compared with normal) the following evening.
With Lantus, this is just dialling up a different number so not difficult to do. However, as my basal dose is low, and, at the time, my pen only dosed in 2 units. I did not have the flexibility to make so much change so I got used to dropping it by a unit on the evening of the days I exercised.
I have also noticed when I exercise every day, the reduction was cumulative. For example, when I go on a hiking holiday (walking every day for 10 to 14 days), I needed to reduce my basal a little more every day for the first 5 days until I was on half my usual dose.
But, it is one of those things that are different depending upon your body, your fitness and the intensity of the exercise.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't offer any explanation of the medical side, but I applaud the system you & your neighbour have arranged between you. We should take happiness whenever it offers itsef. The witches say "An it harm none, do what thou wilt". Good for you.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm also swayed by the endorphin theory (stressful meetings raise my blood sugar if I don't start an extended bolus before the meeting), but I've seen people mention room temperature affects their insulin sensitivity, or maybe how much glucose their liver pumps out overnight. I think someone even said they found they could regulate their overnight blood sugar levels to a certain degree by adding a duvet or turning on a fan. I can't remember which brought it up and which brought it down, but the sleeping temp definitely affected their levels.

Is your friend's bedroom kept at a different temp than yours? I wonder if you both slept in your bedroom one night if you would have the same hypos you have at their bedroom.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is your friend's bedroom kept at a different temp than yours? I wonder if you both slept in your bedroom one night if you would have the same hypos you have at their bedroom.
Interesting thought, and it could be possible.
His bedroom is warmer, plus there is a big warm man in the bed, adding to the temperature.
But if anything, I'd expect to need more insulin in a warmer bedroom because I'm not burning energy to stay warm. And I haven't noticed much of an effect on my BG and insulin needs depending on temperature (apart from those very cold swims in winter, which drop me) so I don't think it's that.

An experiment would be interesting, but he has the bigger bed so I don't expect this will happen.

So far, it's starting to look like it actually is the endorphins or lack of stress hormones due to being completely relaxed. Or maybe it does have something to do with our sexual activity, which while very low key, still arouses me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late arrival to this thread - I've been away. Love this. I'm a great proponent for the relaxation and endorphins theory. Stress drives my bgs high and relaxation, however it's achieved, drives them down.