Gutted

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had bacon, egg and just 2 tbsp of tinned tomatoes. Done my reading 2 hours later and it is 7.8! Guess I wont be having tomatoes again :x

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Don't beat yourself up over a 7.8 mmol/l. You learned a lesson without getting a massive spike.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 7.8 you are just at the recommended figure after 2 hours, so they may not be a no. Would be interesting to see what you are after 3 hours.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Try having it later in the day you might find your insulin response works a lot better. It's this levels are better in the afternoon and evening thing. At 7.8 after 2 hours you are just ok so having it later may get you a better result.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
what level was it before breakfast?

davey b

You're at the recommended level after 2 hours. As Denise has suggested, see what it's like after 3 hours.

And I'm sorry if this annoys others but, it's 7.8. It's not the end of the world. If you enjoyed it, there really isn't a problem in treating yourself once in a while - and there's certainly no reason to beat yourself up over it! :)

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well was having this quite a lot before I started testing. My reading this morning was 7.6. Have only been low carbing for a week. My readings have definitely improved as I couldnt get them below 8.6 in the mornings but now they are in the 7's and hopefully after continuing low carb and losing some weight these will come down also. Not taking any medication and hope to avoid taking meds if possible.

Thank you for all your replies, they are most welcome and helpful :thumbup:

Grazer

Paul1976 said:
what level was it before breakfast?

JUST what I was going to ask! If you get a reading you aren't happy about, don't just say "can't have that again". We get rogue readings, and high's for different readings. What it means is you need to check it out. Have that meal again for breakfast, but check before AND 2 hours after. If you were 7.5 before, the 7.8 two hours after isn't so bad!

STOP PRESS _ just seen you were 7.6 before brekky! So I wouldn't worry about the toms. Morning readings can take a while to get down, and if you've only been low carbing for a week, you need to give it time.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both, I will try again. Do like tomatoes so would hate to have to give these up as well as all the bread, spuds, etc. Am in this for the long haul. Am happy with the results low carbing has achieved so far and so glad that I found this forum. I have learnt so much already from you all and am like a sponge at the moment, taking everything in. :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
googlegoss said:
Thanks both, I will try again. Do like tomatoes so would hate to have to give these up as well as all the bread, spuds, etc. Am in this for the long haul. Am happy with the results low carbing has achieved so far and so glad that I found this forum. I have learnt so much already from you all and am like a sponge at the moment, taking everything in. :D

I said above that you shouldn't beat yourself up about a 7.8 mmol/l.

However, you should beat yourself up for including tomatoes in a fry-up. This is vandalism of the highest order. Vegetables have no place in an English Breakfast. (Don't even start me on people that have chips with their breakfast the greasy spoon).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bacon, eggs and tinned tomatoes for breakfast most days.

When I first started I went to around 8 when testing 2 hours after eating breakfast of bacon, eggs, tomatoes etc, but my background levels were higher at around 7.5 in the morning.

Today, after 12 weeks of low-carbing, my waking levels and background levels are about 1 point lower, and my reading 2 hours after breakfast is around 6.3

So it could be that your levels are a bit higher still, not the tomatoes. I would give it a few weeks to see what happens to your morning levels and general before giving up tomatoes. They are an important source of Vit C

PS Fried mushrooms are good too. Ignore the unbelievers of veggies with brekkie :lol:

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Lucylocket61, will carry on having tomatoes and see how I go. Cant abide mushrooms I'm afraid, wish I did like them but think they are absolutely minging, lol. Cant even stand the smell of them.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Grazer said:
STOP PRESS _ just seen you were 7.6 before brekky! So I wouldn't worry about the toms. Morning readings can take a while to get down, and if you've only been low carbing for a week, you need to give it time.

Yes give it a few weeks on low carb and your morning level will begin to drop, you just have to be a patient. So based on that a 0.2 rise is pretty much a perfect breakfast.

borofergie said:
Vegetables have no place in an English Breakfast.

Aren't tomatoes a fruit?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
googlegoss said:
Thanks Lucylocket61, will carry on having tomatoes and see how I go. Cant abide mushrooms I'm afraid, wish I did like them but think they are absolutely minging, lol. Cant even stand the smell of them.
Wot No Mushies?!! aaaaarrrrggggghhh!! :lol:

Unbeliever

C

PS Fried mushrooms are good too. Ignore the unbelievers of veggies with brekkie :lol:[/quote]

IErr what are you saying here Lucy? Its never wise to IGNORE an unbeliever! For your information I am also a gingernut. Emphasis on the last syllable maybe.

On second thughts maybe you have a point. Just ignore me. I wonder what sort of veg I am ? No don't answer that....... :lol:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Err what are you saying here Lucy? Its never wise to IGNORE an unbeliever! For your information I am also a gingernut. Emphasis on the last syllable maybe.

Oh GAWD!!! forgot there was an Unbeliever person on here

ROFLOL

You lot are making me smile which, considering the morning I have had, is very good.

sorry for the threadjack googlegoss

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its all good. You have to have some humour and some fun in life or its boring, :lol: