xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Credit to WJ for posting a link to this a while back ...

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/ind...-breadmaker-machine&catid=42:baking&Itemid=56

So we bought a brand new breadmaker off eBay for a tenner (bargain!) specifically to try and make cheap low carb bread. This is the recipe we used

7/8 cup tepid water
1 egg
1t salt
1T oil (or melted butter for a breakfast loaf)
1t sugar (the carbs from this are used in the cooking process)
2T whole cream milk powder (not skim) OR 2T plain unsweetened whey protein powder
1/4 cup oat bran
1/3 cup ground LSA (my own preference) or ground golden or plain flaxseed
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup gluten flour
2t breadmaker yeast
1/2t caraway seeds (or 1/2t cinnamon and the grated zest of an orange or lemon for a breakfast loaf)

A bit of an outlay to start with to get the ingredients but using the ingredients and suppliers I posted about here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33669&p=316833&hilit=caraway#p316833

then each loaf is working out at around 45p. Carb wise it is 5g / 100g so one doorstop slice is around 2.5g or carbs. If you like a nice strongly flavoured brown bread that has the consistency of real bread then this is ideal. Just tried a first slice with lashings of butter. mmmmm

LSA is 50% golden flax seed 33% sunflower seeds and 17% almonds so to make 100g of LSA its 50g of flax seed, 33g of sunflower seeds and 17g of almonds (we used flaked almonds)

It's going to go down a treat with Libby's (wiflibs) homemade Chicken and Leek soup which is the soup of the gods as far as I'm concerned. One of the finest soups I've ever tasted. Bacon sarnies will hopefully now make a comeback as will cheese on toast.

rtee

Just made the cheesy beefy frittata muffin thingies. Very tasty. Thanks Defren!

Imade them in silicone cake cases and used my halogen oven, so they were quick to cook.
I just used spices I like but have since checked out the arizona dreaming ones which are as follows:

ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, spices, cumin, citric acid, Mexican oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeño, cocoa, natural smoke flavoring.

So the muffins should be quite spicy. I'll try that next time.

I'll have to freeze some I think or eat them for every meal tomorrow! I did only make half the recipe but there's only me (did I hear an AAAWWW)

rtee

Would this count as low carb?

I found this recipe on a "normal" website and wonder if it would count as low carb?
It looks alright to me unless eaten with the potatoes they suggest!!
I guess most of the carbs are in the tomatoes?

Stuffed chicken with lemon, capers & chilli

• 2 large chicken breasts , with skin on
• 4 tbsp ricotta
• zest 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
• 1 tsp capers
• 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves , chopped
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• small handful parsley

1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut a slit in the side of each chicken breast, then use your finger to make a pocket. In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, half the lemon zest, Parmesan, capers, chilli flakes and some seasoning. Push the mixture into the pockets, then secure each opening with a toothpick.
2. Put the chicken in an ovenproof dish, drizzle over 1 tbsp of the oil and season. Bake for 15-20 mins until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and cook for 2 mins until golden. Add the tomatoes, season and simmer for 10 mins more until thickened. Spoon onto 2 plates, top with the chicken and scatter over the parsley and remaining zest. Serve with potatoes, if you like. (!)
PER SERVING
500 kcalories, protein 42g, carbohydrate 7g, fat 33 g, saturated fat 11g, fibre 3g, sugar 6g, salt 1 g

Defren

rtee said:
Just made the cheesy beefy frittata muffin thingies. Very tasty. Thanks Defren!

Imade them in silicone cake cases and used my halogen oven, so they were quick to cook.
I just used spices I like but have since checked out the arizona dreaming ones which are as follows:

ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, spices, cumin, citric acid, Mexican oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeño, cocoa, natural smoke flavoring.

So the muffins should be quite spicy. I'll try that next time.

I'll have to freeze some I think or eat them for every meal tomorrow! I did only make half the recipe but there's only me (did I hear an AAAWWW)

Sorry Ruth I have just seen this. I'm glad you enjoyed them, and thanks for the feedback. I sometimes wish I lived alone. :lol: No, I'm teasing, or when I am busy and some one wants me, am I teasing, or do I mean it. :lol:

Jo.

Jo123

xyzzy said:
Credit to WJ for posting a link to this a while back ...

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/ind...-breadmaker-machine&catid=42:baking&Itemid=56

So we bought a brand new breadmaker off eBay for a tenner (bargain!) specifically to try and make cheap low carb bread. This is the recipe we used

7/8 cup tepid water
1 egg
1t salt
1T oil (or melted butter for a breakfast loaf)
1t sugar (the carbs from this are used in the cooking process)
2T whole cream milk powder (not skim) OR 2T plain unsweetened whey protein powder
1/4 cup oat bran
1/3 cup ground LSA (my own preference) or ground golden or plain flaxseed
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup gluten flour
2t breadmaker yeast
1/2t caraway seeds (or 1/2t cinnamon and the grated zest of an orange or lemon for a breakfast loaf)

A bit of an outlay to start with to get the ingredients but using the ingredients and suppliers I posted about here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33669&p=316833&hilit=caraway#p316833

then each loaf is working out at around 45p. Carb wise it is 5g / 100g so one doorstop slice is around 2.5g or carbs. If you like a nice strongly flavoured brown bread that has the consistency of real bread then this is ideal. Just tried a first slice with lashings of butter. mmmmm

LSA is 50% golden flax seed 33% sunflower seeds and 17% almonds so to make 100g of LSA its 50g of flax seed, 33g of sunflower seeds and 17g of almonds (we used flaked almonds)

It's going to go down a treat with Libby's (wiflibs) homemade Chicken and Leek soup which is the soup of the gods as far as I'm concerned. One of the finest soups I've ever tasted. Bacon sarnies will hopefully now make a comeback as will cheese on toast.

Thanks for this sounds great! Does it keep, or presumably one could freeze it.

WhitbyJet

Oatbran Bread

This is a very easy bread recipe, just mix all ingredients together, makes a decent loaf, doesnt taste eggy or of linseed - its almost like a white loaf, I think everyone will like this one.
You can get all ingredients from a supermarket, the oat bran from H&B.
Oatbran is supposed to be good for bg control and cholesterol, google health benefits.

300g oatbran
4 slightly heaped tablespoons ground linseed (prefer to use golden linseed)
1 x 250g tub Quark
150g plain yogurt
1 tsp sea salt
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
1 heaped tbsp baking powder
6 eggs

Mix together really well, tip mixture into a greased 10" x 5" loaf tin, smooth out the top, bake at 170 degrees (fan assisted) for 40 - 50 minutes.

Around 6 carbs per slice, depending on how thick you cut it.

maggie2

What is quark please? They have never heard of it here and I couldn't find a translation. Can't get whey powder either.
Any alternatives?

WhitbyJet

maggie2 said:
What is quark please? They have never heard of it here and I couldn't find a translation. Can't get whey powder either.
Any alternatives?

You can make the oatbran bread with either Fromage blanc or lait caillé - they are similar to Quark.

WhitbyJet

Fraddycat said:
Hi Maggie, Quark is a low fat cream cheese, you will find it in supermarkets next to the cottage cheese.

Fraddycat, Maggie is in France, thats why she cant find any Quark, they dont sell it in their supermarkets.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
ALMOND FLAT BREAD

1/2 cup of ground almonds
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 eggs

Add baking powder to ground almonds in medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix in eggs, and butter, you may like to add herbs etc.
batter should be fairly thick, spread on to baking paper (not to thickly), bake at 170 C, for 10 to 15 mins (should be golden brown)

Use as a flat bread, or pizza base. This is really really nice used as bread for a salad sandwich.

maggie2

Thank you for your help. I think I saw a recipe using dried milk powder instead of whey as this is proving impossible to source.
I have been waiting weeks to see if my local bio could get it as I have a bread recipe from Whitbyjet which I'm dying to try as I've found most bread recipes too cakey. I certainly will now also attempt the oatmeal recipe. Many thanks again :D

WhitbyJet

maggie2 said:
Thank you for your help. I think I saw a recipe using dried milk powder instead of whey as this is proving impossible to source.
I have been waiting weeks to see if my local bio could get it as I have a bread recipe from Whitbyjet which I'm dying to try as I've found most bread recipes too cakey. I certainly will now also attempt the oatmeal recipe. Many thanks again :D

Arrggghhh no, not oatmeal, you need oatbran!
Just asked my friend who lives in France, Oatbran = Son d'avoine and you should be able to buy this in France no problem.
Dr Dukan recommends it in his diet, and he is French (I think).

This bread has the least cakey texture of all of them, see how you get on.

Once I am out of hospital I will experiment and see if this can be baked using yeast instead of baking powder, I think yeast would make it even more breadlike?? We will see, watch this space.

maggie2

Yes I meant oatbran and I have some in the cupboard!
Can't you persuade the hospital to let you use their kitchen :p How much yeast do you think you'd use?
Get better soon and get baking!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great Low Carb Bread Recipe

You will need a bread maker. We got a brand new one for a tenner off eBay.

1 Cup warm water
2 Tablespoon of olive oil or melted butter
1 Teaspoon salt.
1 Cup Wheat Gluten
1/4 Cup of Coconut Flour
1/2 Cup of L.S.A
1/4 Cup of Ground Hazelnuts or Ground Almonds or Oat Bran
2 Teaspoons Nigella Seed or 1/2 teaspoon of Caraway Seed or leave them out.
2 Teaspoons of Dried Yeast
1 Teaspoon of Sugar (gets used up by the yeast in the cooking process)
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder

Put the water, butter/oil and salt in the pan. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and then add to the pan.

Bake on a rapid basic program with a light crust. YUM!

A Cup is a volume measure and is the same as 225ml in volume.

L.S.A is a mixture of flaxseed / linseed, sunflower seed and almonds all ground together. Use a coffee grinder or a blender. Proportions are 50% flax, 33% sunflower, 17% almonds. So for example to make a 100 grams of LSA use 50g of flax, 33g of sunflower and 17g of almonds.

If you want to make it without a bread maker mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Only let it rise once don't knock it back.

Average carbs are around 25 to 30g per loaf or about 2.5g to 3g a slice.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A recipe from Mrs xyzzy

Double Choc Nut Muffins

You will need:

100g Hazelnuts
100g Walnuts
120g Butter
125g Dark Chocolate 80% (as high as possible)
6 Eggs
Teaspoon of vanilla extract
120g Cream Cheese
Half a cup of Splendour or equivelent
2 teaspoons of baking powder.
2 tablespoons of coco powder.
2 tablespoons of coconut flour.

Wizz the nuts in blender until mostly ground with a few chunky bits left. In a large saucepan melt the butter then once it's melted take it off the heat and add the chocolate and leave it to melt. In another bowl whisk all the remaining ingredients together. By this time the chocolate should be melted so add the nuts to the butter and chocolate mixture and combine. Add the egg mixture and stir thoroughly. Divide between 12 muffin cases and cook at 180 for about 14 minutes.

It's important not to overcook you want them to end up slightly squidgy like brownies.

Each muffin is about 4g of carbs. Eat with double cream!

Attachments

• bun2.jpg
    bun2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,662

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another Mrs xyzzy recipe.

Spiced Pumpkin Muffins

You will need:

100g of Coconut Flour
100g of Ground Almonds
Half a cup of Splendour or equivalent.
Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
Half a Teaspoon of Baking Powder
Half a Teaspoon of Salt
One and Half Teaspoons of Mixed Spice
Teaspoon of Cinnamon
Half a Teaspoon of Ginger
300ml of Double Cream
100g of Melted Butter
3 Eggs
225g of Pumpkin Flesh

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix the cream, melted butter and eggs together. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones. The Pumpkin has to be either grated or finely chopped. Fold it into the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Divide between 12 Muffin cases. Cook at 180 for about 20 mins.

Each muffin is under 4g of carbs I had 2 for pud with some more double cream and plain Greek yoghurt

Attachments

• bun1.jpg
    bun1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,719

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Cheese sauce if its not been on before;

Double cream
Philly cheese
Grated cheese
Mustard
Salt & pepper

No idea on amounts I just cook it all together, I don't have much cos I'm the only one that eats it
But it does make a good sauce for a fish pie, with mashed cauli over the top.
Or for steamed broccoli, cauli and sprouts mixed together
It would be nice with crumbled bacon, but I don't eat that.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Just sitting watching the gogglebox feeling a bit peckish and dreamed this up,

I ground some ordinary peanuts
Mixed in some double cream to the consistency of porridge
Added a small amount of Colemans mustard

BINGO !

Much bliss !, simple and tasty, must be quite low in carbs I would think.

Superchip

P.s Great for people with a top set of NHS nashers like me.Also I store the ground peanuts in an empty coffee jar, the smell of the nuts is truly amazing, we need all the help we can get !