Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

susanmanley

The suspected onset of diabetes may have been responsible for the frostbite that has forced the explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes to pull out of a gruelling expedition to cross Antarctica during the region's winter.

How does he fit the stereotype...definitely obese and lazy me thinks [NOT]

controller

My type 2 diabetes is hereditary. I cannot blame my diet or life style for this disease.

However, after carrying out a great deal of research and from practical experience, I can say without any fear of contradiction that CONTROL, is the gold standard of dealing with this terrible medical condition.

CONTROL via medication, daily checks of my BGL and diet management has featured enormously, to contain my diabetic condition and I intend to pursue this course of action until a cure that works is found. This is not beyond the wit of medical and chemical Science.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I ate a good diet because my wife can't eat fatty food plus the nurse said to me my diabetes was age related what ever the cause I've got type 2 there is nothing to do now except take my medication and enjoy the rest of my life and i am.

controller

I do hope that your medication and your diet management are helping you to control your diabetic condition. However, while fatty foods are not primarily responsible for diabetes, may I suggest that you look at other elements of the food you eat e.g. cutting out sugar, pastries or, at least eating such foods in moderation.

There is also available on Line or from book stores details called GI, Glycaemic Index of all food types and I suggest that you have a look at these Indicies. You can then decide for yourself, what foods are helpful, for you to control your diabetes even better.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I understand that about fat but we eat healthy i have greatly reduced my sugar and i have lost 1 1/4 of stone and i have stopped smoking and i have never felt better i do treat myself but only once week because I've earned it thanks for your reply

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
No i am defiantly not but its nice to here from someone who is going through the same thing and i am sure we are not the only ones

controller

Is Steve08 and RoyG the same people?

Well done Steve08 for following a containment course of action against your diabetes.

Seemingly, there are folk who for whatever reasons, do not take control of their diabetic state; consequently, they suffer more than they need to.

Incidentally, I am very concerned that this government have instructed PCT's to tell diabetics that they only need to check their BGL once or twice per week!! Obviously, these people do not have or do not know enough about diabetes, yet because of their obsession with "cuts" to everything, diabetics are being given stupid "information."

goose64

it doesn't help when a certain presenter on our local radio station, a GP - Dr Phil if any remember him from TV , seems at least once a programme tell everyone that type 2 diabetes is caused by being overweight & not excercising.

I'm slowly losing weight & find exercising a nightmare as I have arthritis in my hip .

I spoke to my diabetes nurse about all the different info on diet for diabetics & her response was that the NHS dietary advise was not purely about diabetes but heart & bowel health too

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
That's rubbish what Dr Phil said i was a fit and healthy roofer i have always ate healthy food its just unlucky i ended up getting diabetes there are a lot of over weight people out there that eat rubbish and don't get diabetes. I wonder if he only treats over weight people he should do a bit more research before judging people. Most of the diabetics i have met have been average weight and height.

controller

What sort of doctor is this Dr Phil? Was he diabetic?

The words crank, unhelpful and stupid come to mind.

Everyone knows that obesity can be a contributing cause of diabetes but it is not the only factor.

What about those people who are grossly overweight, do very little physical exercise but do not have diabetes?

I was an avid body builder and weightlifter but as I said in previous correspondence, my type 2 diabetes was hereditary.

This Dr Phil was earning money under false pretenses; the radio station had to pay him to spew out rubbish!

How about an apology Dr Phil to us diabetics.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
The trouble is he is tarring us all with the same brush he should get his facts straight before pointing fingers

Lozzybabyw

I have health complications with breathing& heart rate &excess sweating.. these cause issues when I exercise though I do keep it up. 2 years ago my body was giving me hell& I couldn't hardly walk due to back & feet issues. I walked up steep hills everyday 2hours on a school run& everywhere else I had to go. My body decided it wanted to give up.. pain excruciating in back& my feet & swollen I couldn't wear shoes.. I ended up moving away &pushed myself, was on top form going to the gym 3 times a week & had given up smoking too..swim aerobics etc i felt great:) though that crazily gave me the weight gain! That's when my breathing heart & sweat started then was taking over.. I walked everywhere too.. No transport & no choice. I spent a year proving that it wasn't anxiety & that the whole issue itself was sending me anxious. I had other medical probs creeping up too & diagnosed! I was on heavy pain killers & meds that didn't agree with me! I was healthy eating except I was craving food like never before! I held back a lot but some times I'd eat & not notice until after.. I had confusion, tiredness exercising & also walking down the road.. falling asleep! though sleep issues for years it had never been like that!
Now I take a lot of meds but not for diabetes..I still make sure I exercise & I'm losing weight& then it comes back on. However hard I try! I have the other things under control, though I am still so confused with what I should be eating.. At the moment I base 3 meals porridge breakfast a cuppa soup lunch& meat with salad or veg dinner.. Fat free yoghurts in between & fruit if i'm active;-) I have gone to red milk & am trying to get used to Splenda instead of sugar! It's not nice:-( i have cut out bread too & potatoes only if very active in the day. I have eaten relatively healthy for 9yrs from when I had my child!
The doctor said because I eat healthily on the main, that is why it remains at the lower scale.. I use an app called fitness pal & tells me exactly whats in my food! Carbs & Sugar are in everything! I was only diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in October. I changed the doctor & all of a sudden the suggestion of blood test then fasting ones.. I was diagnosed diabetes type 2. I think because it was only October is why they checked so soon. Since that I saw one of the doctors that threw anxiety tablets at me for an appointment nothing to do with diabetes... Though she saw I was now diagnosed diabetic.. She told me she went to a conference on diabetes the day before & learnt a lot.. Then told me it is possible to cure it! She then told me if I lost a stone then I would not have diabetes anymore!! That doesn't ring true to me. Though a lot of people seem to think for type 2 the problem is the weight. I am lucky & I know just hearing other people's battles.. How lucky I am. It's carb, no carb,sugar none & test & see! I can't test.. My doctor says i don't need to. I'm thinking of trying to find a way because I think I do need to. I thank you all so much for your help & advice:) I read it all & take it in. I also wish for you to find easier paths to help you feel better too. Hugs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
Whatever you do don't give up i had the same problems as have others we all get there in the end some just get there sooner than others good luck and enjoy life like any normal person.

Lozzybabyw

Thank you Steve. I won't give up. If there's one thing about me I may struggle but I stay determined & hope to find the paths around things:) I will find a way eventually:) I hope you're not finding it too hard at the moment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I have just got through it and i don't think about having diabetes now and don't see it as a problem now since i was diagnosed last October. He you want a chat get in touch anytime glad i could help you.

whiterabbit

Hi,

I've only just come across this thread and whilst I don't believe self blame is constructive, I do believe in most cases Type 2 diabetes is caused by lifestyle and eating habits. I know 5 people (one of whom is my dad) who have Type 2 diabetes and all of them have lived / live an indulgent lifestyle. All are overweight, all of them like to drink quite heavily, eat high fat and high sugar foods and this surely is the cause of them becoming diabetic?

One of the people I mentioned above however has decided she doesn't want to live that life and suffer unnecessarily if she can help it. She altered her eating habits, taken on a well structured fitness regime and since then her GP has decided she no longer requires medication for her diabetes OR cholesterol.

So I think there are diabetics out there (not all) who are suffering as a result of what they have been putting in their mouths and living a life with minimal activity. And it's these folk that need to recognise this, take responsibility and do something about it if they can.

I bring my 4 year old daughter up to make sure she has a healthy balanced diet and active life. I don't want her to have diabetes or any other health problem that is often caused by the way some folk in society live. I ensure that the whole family eat well and try to be as active as we can and in comparison I see folk give their kids fizzy drinks and junk food and wonder why their kids are overweight, hyper and often more unwell.

This may not sit well with some folk on here and it's not my intention to insult anyone, but this is my opinion that I feel quite strongly about.

Steve08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newcastle United
I don't disagree with you it just annoyed me when that doctor said that people type 2 diabetes are overweight when there are people like myself who have led healthy lifestyles and still can end up with you diabetes. How there is going to be a large increase in type 2 diabetes people as there are more families are eating junk.

C

catherinecherub

whiterabbit said:
Hi,

I've only just come across this thread and whilst I don't believe self blame is constructive, I do believe in most cases Type 2 diabetes is caused by lifestyle and eating habits. I know 5 people (one of whom is my dad) who have Type 2 diabetes and all of them have lived / live an indulgent lifestyle. All are overweight, all of them like to drink quite heavily, eat high fat and high sugar foods and this surely is the cause of them becoming diabetic?

One of the people I mentioned above however has decided she doesn't want to live that life and suffer unnecessarily if she can help it. She altered her eating habits, taken on a well structured fitness regime and since then her GP has decided she no longer requires medication for her diabetes OR cholesterol.

So I think there are diabetics out there (not all) who are suffering as a result of what they have been putting in their mouths and living a life with minimal activity. And it's these folk that need to recognise this, take responsibility and do something about it if they can.

I bring my 4 year old daughter up to make sure she has a healthy balanced diet and active life. I don't want her to have diabetes or any other health problem that is often caused by the way some folk in society live. I ensure that the whole family eat well and try to be as active as we can and in comparison I see folk give their kids fizzy drinks and junk food and wonder why their kids are overweight, hyper and often more unwell.

This may not sit well with some folk on here and it's not my intention to insult anyone, but this is my opinion that I feel quite strongly about.

I think you need to learn a bit more about Type2 diabetes before you decide what causes it. You are basing your assumptions on people you know. I am sure we all know people who eat loads of junk food and sugary drinks who do not have diabetes. If you were to read around these boards then you would see that there are all manner of things that can cause Type2. It may be medication for other conditions, stress, genetics, age to name a few.

You yourself have genetic markers, your dad is Type2, and it maybe that later on in your life you will become a Type2.

This thread is called "Don't involve yourself in the Blame Game" but you seem to think we are nearly all to blame. :crazy: What would you say to the people like you who ate what was considered a healthy diet and then became a Type2 diabetic?

Do you read the Daily Mail?