Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardener

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

My blood sugars tested at night time are usually between 6.0 and8.0 when i get up they rise to 9.8 and 10.8 then by lunch time they are down to 5.7 ...i dont understand how some people are at 4.4 when below 4.0 is classed as a hypo. I am on a virtual no carb diet and i have lost 2 stone in 1month .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts

5.2 this morning

kaya659

I work night shifts on a 2nights on,2 nights off pattern & I've found that my fasting blood glucose after a days sleep is a lot lower than when I've had a nights sleep.Similarly my reading at 5-6 am when I'm working is always higher than any other reading during the day or night.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

julifriend said:
Type 2, diet controlled only, and 5.2 this morning. Much lower than usual, but then yesterday I had a reading of 5.2 before dinner, 4.4 two hours later and 4.6 before bed. Most puzzled by this.

Looking at your HBA1c, your levels are coming down well and are in the normal range. It may be as a result of watching what you eat carefully or it may be because you are losing weight and/or becoming physically more active and becoming more responsive. I often get drops in BG levels after meals, even if they have contained some carbs. Whatever you are doing, just keep it up. If you have settled on a diet that you are happy with, try experimenting a little within that regime. It might be good enough to stick with.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Gardener said:
My blood sugars tested at night time are usually between 6.0 and8.0 when i get up they rise to 9.8 and 10.8 then by lunch time they are down to 5.7 ...i dont understand how some people are at 4.4 when below 4.0 is classed as a hypo. I am on a virtual no carb diet and i have lost 2 stone in 1month .

The recommended non-diabetic fasting/before meals range is between 3.5 - 5.5; for Type 2s, it's 4 - 7. Some Type 2s get hypo symptoms that low, some don't - for instance, I feel fine at 3.5, though I will usually have something to push it up a bit if I test that low during the day. I'm happier in my own mind above 4.

As far as I know Type 1s have to be more careful about how low they go, as they as more likely to hypo - although everyone, even non-diabetics, can hypo.

As you're on insulin, gardener, you'll need to be more careful about how low you go than those of us who are diet only or metformin/diet. The more weight you lose, the less carbs you eat, the less insulin you may need. Check with your HCP.

I believe Sid Bonkers, who is also Type 2, started off on insulin but as he lost weight so he was able to decrease the dose, until now he doesn't use insulin any more. If he see this he'll put me right; if he doesn't, it might be worth PMing him - be sure to blame me if I'm wrong! :wink:

Viv 8)

Grounded

I'm ready for the flak - but the more I read some of these posts the more I am becoming convinced that like many other 'modern day' health issues such as the huge increase in the diagnosis of 'asthma', there is an over-diagnosis of diabetes in what are marginal cases. Remember that the Hba1c 6.5 mmol/l line, that condemns one to wearing the 'diabetic' label, is nothing more than a point on a statistical chart that predictcs CV complications and that point has moved - decided by committee! Indeed, the ABCD proposes that Hba1c of 7.2 should be used as the dividing line.

There are clearly people with serious glucose issues, those with moderate and controlable ones, and those who could have future problems and those can be averted with early action - but there are also individuals who aren't 'diabetic'.

And that 'diabetic' label is something that needs redefining. It is too condemning and 'catch all'.

Davethetoon

This morning my sugars were 7.8 which i was pleased with I was told by my practice nurse that in the night you could drop your sugars into a near hypo & your body will bring your sugars up as an automatic emergency defense, how much this is true I'm not sure as it may have been kind words as at the time my sugars were between 11 & 17

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying

This morning my levels were 5.0, very pleased with my morning levels so far.

Mark

sal37uk

My Fasting Blood sugar levels were 28.9 this morning i can not get my sugar levels down im feeling extremely unwell and drained with it, am now on 2,000mg Metformin a day and still they not coming down, my last HBAC1 was 104.5 so well above what it should be.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Grounded said:
There are clearly people with serious glucose issues, those with moderate and controlable ones, and those who could have future problems and those can be averted with early action - but there are also individuals who aren't 'diabetic'.

The UK is actually one of the countries with lower frequencies of diagnosed diabetes but the way they go on about it in the media, you'd think we were particularly high. The media do like things in black and white and do like to sensationalise. "Yet More People Have an Undefined Metabolic Disorder" is not as catchy as "Diabetes Epidemic Set to Devastate NHS". One can see why the NHS go along with this when they argue for more funds.

It is an arbitary line yes. At what point do cells become resistant to insulin? At what point do beta cells start to die off? We don't know. Diagnosis is based purely on the severity of an observed effect. What I do object to though is that many GPs are all too willing to rush to medication. My DN even told me twice that she wanted to 'fine tune my medication'. I'm not on any.

"Your name is on a list. Well, there must be something wrong musn't there? If not, your name would't be on a list would it? People don't put your name on lists for no good reason do they?" I am reminded of the rhyme 'the wheels on the bus go round and round'.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

sal37uk said:
My Fasting Blood sugar levels were 28.9 this morning i can not get my sugar levels down im feeling extremely unwell and drained with it, am now on 2,000mg Metformin a day and still they not coming down, my last HBAC1 was 104.5 so well above what it should be.

What are you eating? It would probably be a good idea to avoid all carbohydrates for a couple of days and then take a morning reading before breakfast. You have to experiment a bit and gather information.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Davethetoon said:
This morning my sugars were 7.8 which i was pleased with I was told by my practice nurse that in the night you could drop your sugars into a near hypo & your body will bring your sugars up as an automatic emergency defense, how much this is true I'm not sure as it may have been kind words as at the time my sugars were between 11 & 17

It's true and it is the basis on which fasting blood glucose tests work. You can live for many days without food at all, but your glucose levels won't keep falling to zero. Around 4.0, your body converts stored fatty acids into glucose to keep you going. People usually drop down to 4.0 at some point during the night. But, it doesn't release a measured amount, it 'dumps' a lot. The early mornng test is an indication of how well your own insulin copes with this rush of glucose and how well it brings it down to 'normal levels'. It's one of a large number of homeostatic processes by which the body regulates itself, keeping your blood temperature level, keeping your hydration within limits, keeping your calcium levels normal etc etc. Diabetes is a failure of glucose homeostasis.

7.8 is a number many nurses would be happy with but it is still high. Whatever it is that you are doing has seen your levels fall a lot. Aim now to get into the 5s. You're nearly there.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Mine was 17 which is lowest I have had it since starting testing and controlling. Things is last night after dinner (about 1 hour before I slept) it was 9.2. This was first less than 10 reading so pleased.

But by my reckoning I will have two sleep at about 2 to get a fasting reading of under 10. So that is a bit disheartening :(

K

Kat100

Last hba1c was 6.5 felt good about that....a year ago it was 19 .....I am 3 stones lighter now.
Not all type 2 test I don't at the moment :)
But I have to watch for hypos I sweat slur words and feel faint etc....sweating is the worse.....I grab a sweet or a chocolate....also carry glucose....
Hope you don't mind gone a bit off topic but feel proud of my last blood test....

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This morning I was 5.7. Current averages are 7d 5.5, 14d 5.7, 30d 5.7

I do take metformin at a minimum dose, but I mostly control with extensive exercise and diet, if I miss exercise for more than a couple of day then my BG goes up quite a lot, but not as high as it used to before I started low carbs. Highest I've had since losing 10% bodyweight was 8.9

Safron

Type of diabetes
Type 2

11.8 this morning, hoping I can get this down a bit during the day.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This morning and yesterday it was 5.2 back down to my usual levels after a couple of days being 6-6.5. I had bad summer cold which probably caused the increased fasting levels.

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance

This morning I was 6.0, the lowest I have been, although I have only been diagnosed a week or so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.