What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suehatton

Breakfast 2 toast because I was on the hoof.
Only other food was Harvester chicken platter and salad which doesnt sound much but was quite calorific if not carbalicious.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast-, bacon and scrambled egg
Lunch - 4 hotdog sausages, sugar free jelly and cream
Dinner- (at work) tuna and cucumber
when home, few scratchings, strawberries and cream

B

badcat

Today was fasting blood test day in perpetration for my annual review next week so brekkie was just a bottle of water.
That made the 3 egg goats cheese and caramelised red onion omelette with salad that I had for lunch almost virtuous! Dinner was a bit of a mish mish of veg out of the garden with some spiced aubergine dip thing followed by dark choc. The day has just been finished off with a mug of cocoa with a teaspoon of coconut oil in it - lush!

Reactions: 4 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@ Cold Ethyl
Sorry took so long but this is recipe for pork thing I eat, tbh I haven't tested my BG after because I love it so much, but apart from a small bit of rice the rest seems fine.

Nam Tok

Pork or beef
Marinate meat in soy sauce salt & pepper for 1/2 - 1 hour few bits of each
Take a small amount of rice (I know but this really needs it and it is only small and it needs this to make the dish) literally a small handful at most, put in frying pan and lightly toast / brown, once you can smell the aroma it is done, take rice off and crush it into small pieces / powder with a pestle and mortar and keep for later.
A few shallots sliced
Stink weed if available ( in Thai called pak chee farang, cannot find in England yet)
Mint and spring onions chopped ( a bunch of each)
Once meat marinated, ideally grill for a bit but not fully cooked , medium rare as going back in pan.thinly slice before putting in pan.
Put sauce pan with meat on hob with a half cup of stock - no more than half (pork or chicken) and gently simmer.
Fish sauce, half to whole lime juice (fresh) I cannot get an amount as they keep telling me you judge it by taste, however much fish sauce you put in you balance it with lime, some chilli powder, and rest of veg and rice.
Mix in with meat in pan and cook for a small time maybe 5 mins or until stock is bubbling, serve and enjoy... may need some tweaking but that is generally it, I have this almost daily along with Som Tam. if you want to cheat and not use fresh ingredients you can buy a ready made pack as below, probably from an Asian supermarket
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1407220458.269145.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1407220469.417841.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@ Cold Ethyl
Sorry took so long but this is recipe for pork thing I eat, tbh I haven't tested my BG after because I love it so much, but apart from a small bit of rice the rest seems fine.

Nam Tok

Pork or beef
Marinate meat in soy sauce salt & pepper for 1/2 - 1 hour few bits of each
Take a small amount of rice (I know but this really needs it and it is only small and it needs this to make the dish) literally a small handful at most, put in frying pan and lightly toast / brown, once you can smell the aroma it is done, take rice off and crush it into small pieces / powder with a pestle and mortar and keep for later.
A few shallots sliced
Stink weed if available ( in Thai called pak chee farang, cannot find in England yet)
Mint and spring onions chopped ( a bunch of each)
Once meat marinated, ideally grill for a bit but not fully cooked , medium rare as going back in pan.thinly slice before putting in pan.
Put sauce pan with meat on hob with a half cup of stock - no more than half (pork or chicken) and gently simmer.
Fish sauce, half to whole lime juice (fresh) I cannot get an amount as they keep telling me you judge it by taste, however much fish sauce you put in you balance it with lime, some chilli powder, and rest of veg and rice.
Mix in with meat in pan and cook for a small time maybe 5 mins or until stock is bubbling, serve and enjoy... may need some tweaking but that is generally it, I have this almost daily along with Som Tam. if you want to cheat and not use fresh ingredients you can buy a ready made pack as below, probably from an Asian supermarket
View attachment 6348View attachment 6349

Forgot to add complete pic
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1407221713.739205.jpg

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sounds delish- will add that to my to make list Need to test myself with a spoonful of rice first!

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Bf 2 egg cheese omelette
Lunch Nam Tok
2 hrs swimming
Dinner Beef red curry & stir fried morning glory
3sq 99% choc

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not enjoying counting nuts, but enjoying MFP. It just told me I have only had 4g carbs today...time to crack open the kidney beans!! I even got to scan the barcode. I'm easily entertained :D

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast turkey rashers, fried egg, mushrooms
lunch small mackerel salad
dinner ragu and courgette pasta, salad
snack end of sausage whirl after shopping as felt a bit urgh. Of course I'd forgotten meter! 5.1 when I got home and did it after rushing round another half hour so maybe it was a bit low. Going to have to keep eye on it as upped metformin to 3 today. Already have the churning belly!

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie: 3(!) 97% meat sausages, and a drive through maccies latte. Training day at work, so had to keep my strength up!

Lunch: pork scratchings (no time for anything else) but the crunching was an embarrassment

Dinner: curried mince and veg, sugarsnaps and peas. Huge portions. Dab of butter. Then a bought panna cotta* with the sweet fruity bit scraped off**.

* Mr B views panna cotta as a bastardised version of jelly and objects to the fact you can't stir the fruity bits in.

** I object to the fact I can't get a reduced carb panna cotta entry into my fitness pal without having to create a whole new entry.

So it's a fun-filled evening Chez B.

Reactions: 5 people

suehatton

Breakfast. 2 bacon, mushroom omelette. No lunch
Dinner lamb leg steak with baby cabbage stir fried in butter with pancetta lardons and a portion of boursin. Strawbs and cream.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: cheese and spring onion omelette with ketchup

Lunch: almonds and cheddar, fennel tea (back to work today and had lunch late. Pre-lunch 6.9 meh...liver dump?)

Dinner: courgette "spaghetti" in spicy tomato sauce with kidney beans and fake-Parmesan cheese (it didn't really need cheese but I wanted to scan another barcode :p)

It was nicer than it looks!

Last edited:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided that courgette spaghetti is nicer than the real stuff- saute mine with garlic and olive oil. Certainly prefer the absence of bloat and chronic indigestion the other stuff gave me. And the manic munchies and sleepiness.

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast bacon and scrambled egg
Lunch strawberries and cream
Dinner - at work corned beef cheese and cucumber
When home sugar free jelly and cream

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have decided that courgette spaghetti is nicer than the real stuff- saute mine with garlic and olive oil. Certainly prefer the absence of bloat and chronic indigestion the other stuff gave me. And the manic munchies and sleepiness.
indeed...full of vitamins and they grow like weeds. You can't say that about wheaty spaghetti :)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will have try that cold ethyl!!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have try that cold ethyl!!
I bought a metal peeler thing off Amazon by Lakeland and it sort of makes thin strips ( they do clump a bit) - I discard middle or use to make souo as bit watery - just use some olive oil and finely slice clove of garlic, sauté to taste. I like mine well dine but they would be nice crunchy too. You need a couple of courgettes at least to get a decent mound. Going to try them with an arabiatta type sauce next. Bit of chilli kick.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I installed my fitness pal yesterday to check my diet as, until now, I have just been winging it. My goals are 15% 45g carb, 20% 60g protein, 65% 87g fat, 1200 cals. I hope that is ok. Carb goal a bit higher than most, but a lot of my protein sources also contain carbs (eg pulses, quorn). Yesterday I had 42g of carbs. Will keep an eye on it and try to avoid becoming obsessed :nailbiting:

I've been winging it too, and am thinking that I ought to do a balancing act to kick start my weight loss again.

If you can afford another gadget buy a Ketonix "breathalyser", and it'll do a nice job of checking your ketones for you - better than testing for the surplus ones being flushed out in your wee! I'm sure that sometimes I must be up around 50g with my fruity carbs, but I've found that I'm still getting good ketone levels anyway.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast 2hard boiled eggs
6 oatcakes

Lunch salad with falafel a
Apple
1oz nuts

Courgette ragout from the low carb veg thread on this forum was lush!!
4 quorn sausages

2xrice cakes
1oa chees

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.