Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Just eaten Shepherds pie and I feel awful, really sluggish and tired. Only ate a small bit - it was part of this weeks meals. Not one to be repeated.
Also, has affected my mood.
Hey we learn day by day scottie easy does it , trust your meter and your growing knowledge .

Reactions: 2 people

wizardo

My typical diet is 2 x sachets of porrige at approx. 1pm and then I have my dinner at approx. 5pm.

For my dinner I have either sandwiches ( 6 x slices of bread) with crisps or a meal containing meat and potatoes.

I don't know how I am going to follow a low carb diet as, as you can see, I eat a lot of them. I don't like vegatables or yogart.

I know I'm over eating, just don't know how to stop it. So ashamed.

Well, there's your problem Scottie. You need to cut out all the bread, potatoes and porridge. Eat chicken, fish, any meat, eggs, cheese, salads, find some veg that you can eat and some berries with cream. Chuck in red or dry white wine. It worked for me. If you do a bit exercise even better. Drink tea and/or coffee. No sugar, biscuits or desserts unless berries and cream. You soon get over the sweet stuff.. I suspect that your weight will melt away and your b.g. levels will go down. Record and plot your b.g levels on a daily basis.

Reactions: 4 people

scottie1

Oykos Greek yogart - just eaten one and liked it but it states 17.3g carbs. This is a full fat yogart? Confused

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese on toast, yummy. I like cooked cheese but not cold so this sounds ideal.

My mum has also bought me some thinly sliced granary bread too, so that's breakfast tomorrow sorted, thank you. Can I add that sauce (don't know what it's called) but seen it advertised on TV?

Test out the granary bread. Sadly it can be as bad as white - check the carbs per slice on the label. Hovis wholemeal seed sensations is a good one. 14g carbs per slice and you only need one slice as it is quite thick and filling, delicious toasted or plain spread with loads of butter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oykos Greek yogart - just eaten one and liked it but it states 17.3g carbs. This is a full fat yogart? Confused

Fage Total Greek yogurt has very few carbs. 4g per 100g. I have 100g a day with raspberries or strawberries for my breakfast. It fills me up till lunch time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful with mayonnaise. Some brands add sugar. Café and restaurant mayo is dangerous on the whole. Hellmann's Real Mayo is spot on - virtually no carbs at all. If your prawn mayo is a bought one, check the label.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fage Total Greek yogurt has very few carbs. 4g per 100g. I have 100g a day with raspberries or strawberries for my breakfast. It fills me up till lunch time.

This Greek yoghurt, does it taste like sour milk like other plain yoghurt?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Oykos yogurts don't state 17.3g on my fitness pal.. Not for plain greek one...

Are you reading per portion or per pot?

Was it plain or with fruit?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be careful with mayonnaise. Some brands add sugar. Café and restaurant mayo is dangerous on the whole. Hellmann's Real Mayo is spot on - virtually no carbs at all. If your prawn mayo is a bought one, check the label.

Oh yes, I make my own, and have always used Hellmanns, didn't realise others added sugar!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This Greek yoghurt, does it taste like sour milk like other plain yoghurt?

I have no idea what sour cream tastes like! It isn't sour. With berries added it is thick, creamy and sweet. If it isn't sweet enough for you, you can stir in a bit of cream. Why not buy one and try?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, a bit. Never had yoghurt before but this one had fruit flavouring.

Fruit flavouring has added to the carbs... You can add a lot of lovely berries defrosted from lidls with proper plain greek yogurt to equate to 17 carbs....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Per serving/pot. With a fruit thingy - lemon.

I don't blame you for going to have a yogurt with fruit topping especially if initially cutting the carbs... But you will start looking at pots and jars more as you go on.

It does take some adjusting but you are well on the way..

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea what sour cream tastes like! It isn't sour. With berries added it is thick, creamy and sweet. If it isn't sweet enough for you, you can stir in a bit of cream. Why not buy one and try?

I've added some to my online shopping list. I hate ordinary plain yoghurt so am hoping the greek stuff is better, I've never tried it.
I have to be very careful with seeds (can cause a blockage with a stoma) so am thinking about adding some vanilla essence to see if that helps.

Reactions: 3 people