on met ram
how important is to take
i heard it prevents heart probs
what do you think
t i a

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Why has your nurse suggested this? Is your cholesterol level high?

If it isn't high then my personal view is why try to fix something that isn't broken.

xxxxxxxx

Dennis said:
Why has your nurse suggested this? Is your cholesterol level high?

If it isn't high then my personal view is why try to fix something that isn't broken.
thanks for nice info
my chol was 4.8 last time
down from 5.2
thank you

chrissieworne

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I was diagnosed with t2 my GP put me on 40mg Simvastatin per day, my cholesterol was 5.6, this was 3 months ago.I was terrified as I had read about the bad effects on the net etc but decided I would give it a try.
I can honestly say I have not had a single side effect with it, I take it late evening each day (I was advised the later the better) I usually have a dry biscuit at same time. Last week I had my cholesterol reults back and it had gone down to 4.6.

I also use Flora cholesterol lowering spread on my bread.

I can only say try it and see what happens? :wink:

Take Care Chrissie

xxxxxxxx

hello
how are you
thanks for nice reply
im t2 2 years now
test every am
average 6.2
hb was 6.2 last time
is 4.6 still high in your case
what is the average in general
on met ramiprill
nice chatting with you
all the best

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The side effects are statistical possibilities, not a guarantee of what will happen to you. You can always stop them or try a different one if you get side effects, like with any drug.

Statins also help reduce inflammation in your arteries. Research suggests diabetes has a lot to do with inflammation in the body. Hence statins are recommended for diabetics even if cholesterol is normal.

chrissieworne

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I think the DN would like to see my Cholesterol down to below 4 eventually. I am about 4 stones overweight, have lost a stone and a half already but its not coming off as quickly as I would like.

My average BG reading is about 7 which still needs work, however, I suppose I am still in the early stages having been diagnosed in May this yr.

The Simvastatin is ok with me, I am also on Aspirin 75mg per day as I have a blood condition anyway (sticky blood basically!!) Am also on 125mcg Thyroxine each day for underactive Thyroid.

B.P is a pain in the proverbial but they keep putting off meds, hence I had an ecg today to check the old ticker. The nurse talked about the med Ramiril? I see you are on that.....does it have much in the way of side effects?

I think its scary when all these new things happen and the thought of any medications isn't nice but I suppose if it lowers the risks its worth it. I am 51 and got a lot of living to do as yet lol!!

Take care

Chrissie

darenstu

Hi, I think it is a case of suck it and see,( not literally) if you find that things are not right see your gp,I take doxasozin metformin ramipril and simvastatin, ached a bit on the simvastatin at first but that soon cleared up.I tend not to read the side effects part of the instructions although I do let the wife read them then if I start showing any side effects that she notices we talk about it. Obviously if you are feeling not right then only you will notice, if thats the case straight back to your gp to disscuss the problem.I do find these forums extremely helpful but everybody is different and as such effected in different ways, just because Freds legs went numb or Doris's arm fell of doesn't mean it will happen to you. regards Stuart

jethro42

hi
I can usually take anything but since being on Simvastatin the aches in my legs have terrible. I am back to my doctor next week to look at other options. She has told me to stop taking it for the time being.

millymolly

I,ve been on simvastatin for years with no side effects. Most drugs have side effects, you need to try them to see if you have a side effect and if so you then see the doctor who will just change them.
Mandy :)

wallycorker

I too have been on Simvastatin for nearly nine years with no adverse effects that I am aware of.

However, I do have a friend who did have a serious side effect and had to come of the medication.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Been reading about these statins. Seems nobody can make their minds up if they are good or bad. Mind you it looks as if most folks are happy with 'em after getting used to 'em. Glad I don't need all this stuff.

D.

Soundgen

I'm on Simvastatin apparantly it's prescribed to all diabetics normally now evn if you have low cholesterol , indeed my GP prescibed even before he saw what it was ( NHS guidlines for diabetics http://tinyurl.com/nkacme ) , the reason for this was a large epidemialogical study , ( http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/treatments/statins_and_diabetes_001904.htm Benefits were also seen in people whose cholesterol levels were not high in the first place (less than 5mmol/l) and in those at the top of the age range. )

I also had a few muscle twinges when I started , i looked on Wikipedia and elswhere and the problem seems to be caused by the statin reducing an enzyme calles Coenzyme Q10 by 40 % . taking the enzyme stopped the pain immediately !

jtuddy

hi ive been on simvastatin since 2003 when i had my double heart bypass and have had no trouble or side effects with it im t2 aswell on diet and tabs

inwales

Soundgen said:
I'm on Simvastatin apparantly it's prescribed to all diabetics normally now evn if you have low cholesterol , indeed my GP prescibed even before he saw what it was ( NHS guidlines for diabetics http://tinyurl.com/nkacme ) , the reason for this was a large epidemialogical study , ( http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/tre ... 001904.htm Benefits were also seen in people whose cholesterol levels were not high in the first place (less than 5mmol/l) and in those at the top of the age range. )

I also had a few muscle twinges when I started , i looked on Wikipedia and elswhere and the problem seems to be caused by the statin reducing an enzyme calles Coenzyme Q10 by 40 % . taking the enzyme stopped the pain immediately !

I have read in a book about Cholesterol, that q10 is worth taking with or without taking a statin.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
chrissieworne said:
The nurse talked about the med Ramiril? I see you are on that.....does it have much in the way of side effects?

Hi Chrissie,

I take one 2.5mg Ramipril capsule every morning, it was prescribed for me by a consultant cardiologist who my wife worked for when I was diagnosed with diabetes, he replaced another blood pressure drug I was on with Ramipril because as well as lowering BP it helps protect your kidneys. There are some serious side effects associated with Ramipril but they are very rare, I have noticed no side effects what so ever :D

Hope this helps

Sid

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was aweful on simvastatin,thought i was having a heart attack so i have refused to take anymore statins