Windows 10

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
When are people going to say enough is enough?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
There are a raft of stories coming out saying it's not in the final product but .....

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not installing it myself at work, I much prefer win 7 and will keep with it as long as humanly possible! I have no need for stupid tiles etc that come with anything else more modern!
I have been downloading win 10 though for my dad who lives where broadband is too poor to download it, he fixes and builds computers for people so needs it, I have downloaded 3 different versions onto memory sticks and posted to him! Faster than he could attempt to download one!

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I lasted 2 days with Windows 10 and had to recover back to Windows 7.
Scroll function on mousepad didn't work
Backlit screen didn't work so screen was dark
Had to google a hack to get some software working
Facebook videos wouldn't play as well as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc......
Online banking protection software wouldn't work with new browser Windows Edge - Push you over the edge more like
Blah Blah Blah Windows 10 Blah Blah Blah
Didn't work for my laptop :(
Luckily you get a months grace to recover back to your previous version... So I did the recovery and in 10 minutes all is well again :)
Not great then.....
going to put Linux on my laptop.... just to see if I can do it and see what it is like....

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not great then.....
going to put Linux on my laptop.... just to see if I can do it and see what it is like....

I think Linux is worth looking into - will take a lot of research though.

For the time being I will stick with Win 7 though I had to do more googleing to stop my laptop constantly trying to download the upgrade to 10.

All settled now though :)

I really am due to get a new laptop but really don't fancy Win 8!

Reactions: 2 people

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
linux has not worked for me at all. Drivers are a pain to get, some programs dont work no matter how hard i try.... and last time I tried linux mint on my desktop, the monitor just wouldnt work. No amount of help from the linux community could solve it. If your lucky enough to get it working, then I guess its fine. However, it can be a pain in the rear end.
Just my personal experience.

Jim

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.

Haven't tried it yet, davidh66. I decided to wait for the consensus of opinion....which turns out to be pretty dire, as you are aware.

Here's a link for anyone who wants rid of it.......... http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...-10-heres-how-to-get-rid-of-it-11363996318375

On the other hand.......... http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...g-8-windows-10-doubts-debunked-11363995387857

btw, as one poster mentions in link two, I also liked WindowsXP. and I still have a hankering after Widows78.
Both clean and clear cut. All that was required IMHO, was a yearly update bringing them in line with today's modern technology standards without loosing sight of the basic 78 & XP appeal.

Right, I'm off before I hear the howls of laughter. :D

(A very timely subject)

willie. :)

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Windows is woeful, has been since Windows XP.

I moved to a Chromebooks two years back and love them, 3 second boot time, nothing stored on the laptop, constant seamless updates. No exe. files to worry about. Everything backed up in the cloud, 1TB free storage.

90% of users would be better off with these devices in my opinion, there are apps and extensions for everything most would want to do with a windows machine. Not for those that are into image, video editing, gaming etc I admit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-11-6-C...id=1439624411&sr=8-1&keywords=chromebook+dell

The dell is my current favourite. Well after the chromebook pixel with it's MacBook retina beating display that is.

I have an old windows 7 laptop I'll use once in a while to upload things to carelink etc, I'm usually screaming at it wanting to throw it through a window (excuse the pun) within five minutes of using.

Windows as a platform just seems dated, my partner has windows 8 and I can't even look at that laptop without feeling ill. Terrible OS.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I swopped to windows 10 the day it came out.

It works perfectly.

I put it on a new laptop/netbook, (well a week old) using a usb drive.

I'd just got used the the version of windows it came with, (8.1) so it seems a step back really.
But I have a touchscreen, and 10 is more geared for keyboard and mouse when installed on a laptop

I then upgraded my daughters from 7 to 10, apart from the touchpad not working it was fine.
Downloaded the new driver from Asus, and that fixed it.

As to privacy, we haven't had that for years.

Within minutes of being turned on initially, my new laptop had downloaded all my contacts from my windows phone, my shares watchlist, and my browsing history from my Android tablet.
My phone even told it my internet password when it found it on the home network.

The first I knew about it when I started to copy them over myself, and found everything was there.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When are people going to say enough is enough?

Your findings do not surprise me. The workhorses in this house, hubby's business and my photography 4K display are our iMacs. Hubby changed over from windows to Apple after Windows 8, Microsoft's attitude to shoving a new design without regard to the users preference, I'll respond in kind by taking my wallet elsewhere. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I take overseas and use for odds & ends.... it is staying on 7 until it breaks, no more windows after that.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife tried to download Windows 10 on her laptop (it's a few years old now) and it was taking forever and a day, in the end she cancelled the download, so far I've only had one message to say that the laptop needed to close down and apart from that its going great, I really like it :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Not great then.....
Go for Mint 17.1 is my advice.
Fast and virtually no learning curve.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Running Windows 10? Microsoft Can Disable Your Pirated Games

t hasn't even been a month since the release of Windows 10 and Microsoft's newest desktop operating system has been stirring up one privacy related controversy after another. The latest addition is company's rather bold decision to change the license agreement, giving it the power to disable counterfeit games and unathorised hardware on computers running Windows 10.

The Redmond-based software mammoth has updated its European License Agreement ToC (first spotted by PC Authority) to note that it will not tolerate counterfeit games or hardware on any Windows 10-powered machine.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/new...crosoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-728129

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you're into serious gaming then Linux isn't for you.
Steam for Linux is expanding all the time and as Linux gets ever more popular more game developers are creating with Linux in mind but not much available just yet.
Music making photography office etc are all top notch and of course always free.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
For those wanting to install linux, best of luck. You may need it. LOL

Jim

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
For those wanting to install linux, best of luck. You may need it. LOL

Jim
Are you up to date?
It's dead simple and very fast these days.
No knowledge needed.
Anyone wishing to try out Linux go for Mint 17.1 Cinnamon.
Download a iso. file bung it on a disc or stick and run it in trial mode .... boot up from the stick/disc.
The whole operating system will be running seriously fast without using your hard drive.
You'll be able to do emails visit places like this make posts uplod pics and links etc.
The only thing you won't be able to do really is download anything.
If you like it and most people do then install it on the hard drive.
There's virtually no learning curve .... you'll think you're on the fastest version of windows you ever saw.
Not good if you're a serious gamer because the game makers have mostly ignored Linux .... till now.
There's a reason the space station and every super computer in the world runs on Linux.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
yep, the live cds work fine but after full installation i cant get the screen to work

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...........There's a reason the space station and every super computer in the world runs on Linux.

Because they're all unique, and can afford to spend millions inhouse to produce a system specifically for their own needs?