2 hrs after dinner.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I was just wondering which number people are hitting on the meter 2 hours after dinner in the evening. Mine today was 7.1. I had just sausages (had no veg) and then strawberries and clotted cream. I would so like it lower. Perhaps I have to go back to doing my after dinner diabetic walk or 20 mins on my Reebok step. X.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
What matters most is the rise from just before dinner. But in general a figure of 7.1 mmol 2hrs after a meal sounds quite OK to me. I haven't tested mine for a few months now, but would not be unhappy with that and my most recent HbA1C was 37.
But then I only have lunch and dinner (2 meals per day maximum).

Reactions: SuNuman

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I worried about the 2 hour I got brave, ate the same meal & checked the 1 hour.
Try that tomorrow & then decide if them sausages are still on the menu.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I was just wondering which number people are hitting on the meter 2 hours after dinner in the evening. Mine today was 7.1. I had just sausages (had no veg) and then strawberries and clotted cream. I would so like it lower. Perhaps I have to go back to doing my after dinner diabetic walk or 20 mins on my Reebok step. X.
the important bit is that the 2 hours figure is 2 or less than the pre-meal figure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In normal times I see 7 ish after having a dinner with dessert, and maybe just under 7 on days without.
That usually gives me a just at the top of normal Hba1c, so I don't think you need to be too worried about your dinner being too high carb - I had sausages for dinner today, but we get the lowest carb ones we can find Iceland or Coop seem to be the best option as they are not overly peppery.
Are you due a test any time soon?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
What matters most is the rise from just before dinner. But in general a figure of 7.1 mmol 2hrs after a meal sounds quite OK to me. I haven't tested mine for a few months now, but would not be unhappy with that and my most recent HbA1C was 37.
Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
In normal times I see 7 ish after having a dinner with dessert, and maybe just under 7 on days without.
That usually gives me a just at the top of normal Hba1c, so I don't think you need to be too worried about your dinner being too high carb - I had sausages for dinner today, but we get the lowest carb ones we can find Iceland or Coop seem to be the best option as they are not overly peppery.
Are you due a test any time soon?
Thank you. I’m not sure. Only just put on metformin. How long would you suggest I wait before I ask for one? X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
That’s encouraging thank you. Xx.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi SuNuman! Strangely enough my own post dinner reading was 7.1 last night too! Before my first mouthful though, two hours previously, I was 5.9 so altogether it was fine. I could have gone to 7.9 and still been within the two points rise that is normal, so you are okay as long as your pre meal figure was within this :) x

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi SuNuman! Strangely enough my own post dinner reading was 7.1 last night too! Before my first mouthful though, two hours previously, I was 5.9 so altogether it was fine. I could have gone to 7.9 and still been within the two points rise that is normal, so you are okay as long as your pre meal figure was within this :) x
I see. Will begin testing before now too. Will b spending a fortune on test strips lol. X

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see. Will begin testing before now too. Will b spending a fortune on test strips lol. X
You don't need to test every time. Once you have tested a particular meal a couple of times and it gives a good result, you don't need to test that meal again. After nearly 6 years of low carb I hardly ever test now but I did a lot of testing and kept a food diary in the early days.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
You don't need to test every time. Once you have tested a particular meal a couple of times and it gives a good result, you don't need to test that meal again. After nearly 6 years of low carb I hardly ever test now but I did a lot of testing and kept a food diary in the early days.
I see. Thank you. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only testing regularly when sorting out what I could eat. Once I was seeing under 8 after my main meal, I only checked once in a while.
It does mean not pushing the boundaries and trying to see just how many carbs you can get away with - but that never bothered me. After my experience with medication I'd have done anything to keep my BG levels low, but as it turned out I did not have to.