1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

2015 London Marathon - Type 1 Diabetic.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by jskaife87, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jskaife87

jskaife87 Type 1 · Active Member

[​IMG]

Good morning all,

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for the last 16 years and iv reached that stage in my life where I feel I need to achieve something GRAND. So I have decided to run the 2015 London Marathon and although this is going to be a huge challenge for any Type 1 diabetic, I'm sure you would all agree with me that its going to be a rewarding one!

Unfortunately I cant raise money for Diabetes UK as there were no spaces left, so I am going to be running for a charity called KAB (Kent Association for the Blind) http://www.kab.org.uk/

They help and assist people living with impaired vision to live as normal life as possible. I live in Kent, so its great for me to be raising money for a charity which is local to myself and in fact they help people affected by sight impairment caused by Diabetes.

What I am asking from members of this forum, which has a huge audience, is a £1 donation. I am aiming to raise £1500 for this charity. You can donate here:

https://www.justgiving.com/Skaife

or

You can text SKAI66 £1 to 70070

To be frank, i don't actually expect anyone to donate, i'm a complete stranger to you all, but i am hoping you might get behind a fellow Type 1 Diabetic with this huge challenge ahead and help me raise some money for charity (which is a good thing at the end of the day)

Many thanks to all that have read this post, and many thanks to all that make a donation!

Jason
    Type 1 Diabetic

2. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jason

Good luck with this challenge, I will donate when I am using my pc at home rather than work pc!!
    Would join you in the challenge but as I am only just diagnosed type 1 I dont want to push my luck!!!

3. jskaife87

Thank you, thats so kind! I see from your diagnosed date that your very newly diagnosed! How are you getting on? Im finding running is very good for my diabetes.... Not so good for my knees lol!

4. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah still in honeymoon at the moment
    Managing to keep 95% of readings between 5 and 9 so am quite happy with that
    I will get back to the gym next month once I gave seen my dsn

5. jskaife87

Thats excellent! Great work! Iv litterally just got back from the doctors, taken my blood, so find out my hbA1c in next couple of weeks :S

• Like Like x 2
  6. jskaife87

And so the training begins!

upload_2014-10-21_9-46-15.png

7. PG1759

PG1759 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck ! I will donate later this evening when I'm home. Out of interest (should probably start a seperate post for this !) how do you manage this type of thing, or any exercise for that matter ? Do you just eat high carbs and a ton of lucozade with no insulin ?

8. jskaife87

Hi, thanks thats very much appreciated!

To be honest I dont have one set answer for your question. Its very much trial and error. I have been running before and was about 2 miles from home with no lucozade with me and my sugars went low, I walked home, and by the time I got home my sugars were 6.0! So think they came back up on there own. But generally testing before and after and keeping a good log that you can refer back too....

By all means, if anyone has any pro advise it would be much appreciated!

9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi - and well done on running the marathon, anyone with type 1 who is prepared to take on a challenge like this is brilliant ! I did a parachute jump in August for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as they are the only charity actively seeking a cure for type 1, would happily do another now too !!

http://www.runsweet.com/

This is a great website for type 1 folks wishing to keep fit and how to manage insulin etc, I do a fitness class once a week and find that my BG dip about an hour after exercise as this is when my muscles are wanting glucose to repair and replenish stocks. It is a bit of trial and error but anything can be achieved and exercise definately helps, just back from a hike in the country and BG nicely sitting around 5.

Good luck and again well done ;)

10. jskaife87

Hi and thanks for your story and your advice I will be checking this website out tomorrow.

I dont think I quite know what I have let myself in for yet lol.. I plan on having a long chat with my diabetic nurse next week to see her thoughts on diet and maybe get a referral to a dietician. The furthest I have run is 11 miles and boy that was hard work but suprisingly not so bad on the diabetes side of things...

• Like Like x 3
  11. jskaife87

I think someone donated £4.00 by text

If it was you, thank you so much! Very much appreciated!

Jason x

12. jskaife87

Wow 193 views!! Im grateful just for that alone!

13. jskaife87

If anyone is feeling flush please please please donate :) thank you x

14. jskaife87

If anyone is feeling flush and generous please please please donate. :) thank you x

15. jskaife87

16. jskaife87

Massive thanks to andy for his donation. Very much appreciated... I hope more fellow diabetics can help support me and this great cause. X

17. jskaife87

18. jskaife87

The 2015 London Marathon Team (Im the one in the middle :) )

[​IMG]

www.justgiving.com/skaife

or

Text SKAI66 £1 or £2 or £3 or £4 or £5 or £10 to 70070

Many thanks for all your support guys and gals!

Jason

x

#18 jskaife87, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  19. jskaife87

[​IMG]

The Team (Im in the middle) :)

[​IMG]

20. jskaife87

www.justgiving.com/skaife

Any amount no matter how big or small will be greatly appreciated

Text SKAI66 £1 or £2 or £3 or £4 or £5 or £10 to 70070

Many thanks
    Jason

x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook