300,000 members - thank you

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The Diabetes Forum has reached 300,000 members (last night, in fact!). We just wanted to share a huge thank you to each and every single community member.

Members of the Diabetes Forum have been integral to the change in diabetes understanding in the UK (and further afield) - and we have done (and are doing) a lot of research. Here are 2 pieces of research if you haven't seen them already:
Type 2 diabetes and prediabetes

The Diabetes Forum has helped redefine type 2 diabetes and prediabetes as conditions that can be placed into remission. It has been a journey of empowerment and support - and we are honoured to have provided the platform for these conversations for over a decade! Can you believe Dr David Unwin was actually made aware of a lower-carb approach from a member of the Diabetes.co.uk forum who said she'd "placed her condition into remission".

7y9fczd.jpg

It was fantastic to see the Low Carb Program's prominent placing at this year's Diabetes UK conference - how far we've come! :) It was selected by the NHS Innovation Accelerator this year and we also directed the RCGP e-learning module on Type 2 and GI which has been received very, very well!

Type 1 diabetes

The Diabetes Forum provides an integral support network for people with diabetes, including type 1 diabetes. We are working on a huge project with Dr Ian Lake that we anticipate will transform type 1 diabetes care. There are thousands of testimonials of people with T1D who have found the Diabetes Forum and improved their health (just like people with T2D and prediabetes)!

Other communities

The Diabetes.co.uk Forum has been part of a number of "firsts". We were the first community to have a place for people to discuss Type 3c diabetes, eating disorders, fasting and more - with appropriate due care and support for users.

Progressing therapeutic nutrition

Contrary to popular belief, the Diabetes.co.uk Forum does have a bias: choose what works for you! Data from the forum has been instrumental in understanding diabetes management - and the key is simple - choose what works for you. Everyone is different, and we respect that. We're working with academic partners on 24 studies across the world to progress this.

If you want to speak about food - whether that's low calorie, low carb, standard diet, fasting, ketogenie diet or any other way of eating - you can do that here.

What's coming up?

We're looking forward to the next 16 years(!)... but in the next 6-12 months, we're working on the following:
  • Updated design for the Diabetes.co.uk (coming very soon - it's simpler and easier to navigate with lots more video content!)
  • Updated design for the Diabetes Forum
  • Three research studies (including a PhD) on the Diabetes Forum and its impact on health
  • Moderator elections will be taking place in the next 3 months
The Diabetes.co.uk Forum is a space for people with diabetes and their friends and carers to find support, ask questions and share their experiences. This is a compassionate platform where everyone is tolerated (within reason) and we thank you very much for being part of the community. A huge thank you to @DCUKMod and the Moderation Team (each team, over the years) who have kept community members safe and informed.

The Diabetes Forum has helped hundreds of thousands of people over the last 16 years... and we look forward to continuing to do so! Thankfully the look has improved since 2003 too:

6f03fb2721.png

As always, if we can help in any way - please send us a message or leave us a PM.

Thank you for being part of the community. <3
Arjun and the Diabetes.co.uk Team

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator - I was sort of watching for the 300,000th member last night, but managed to miss the actual momentous moment.

From my personal perspective, whilst it's nice to be thanked, of course it's every single member - past, present and in the future too who really make this place work, so thank you for providing the environment for that to happen, and for the continual and increasing investment in it, which we probably don't usually see at the front end.

There are so many exciting and positive things to look forward to.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone. The forum over the years has in addition helped the understanding of Late onset T1 (LADA). Before the forums existed, the knowledge that T1 could appear at any time in life was hardly known yet now we have a forum just for that condition and even NICE now recognises the condition.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank you to everyone involved. This forum gave me the confidence, support and knowledge needed to ignore the official dietary advice that I was given as a Type 2 diagnosed 5 years ago. As a result I am fitter and healthier than I had been for years!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum really was my saviour on the night I was diagnosed, when I wrote my first post entitled “Shell Shocked” and was showered with advice and support by the bucketful. I’m now trying to pay back to newbies who have the fortune to land here.
Well done to everyone involved :)

M

Member496333

The worst thing about this forum is that I didn’t find it until after I’d already beaten my diabetes. Why didn’t someone let me know sooner? :hilarious:

I am still learning though, of course. I use the forums as a place to share my experiences and learn from those of others. I think everyone who regularly reads these boards could improve their lives, even - or perhaps even especially - those who are not [yet] diabetic! :shifty:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This truly is an especial place, my thanks to all of you. Onwards and Downwards!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not bad at all!

Congrats to all those behind the scenes, without the dietary advice I got when I was first diagnosed, I would still be wondering why, I'm eating healthy complex carbs, and still feeling awful!

Also, thanks go to those, who helped us set up the RH sub forum.

And finally, for those members who have had to put up with my posts for the past six years!

Don't forget the football thread!

My best wishes to all!

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
This forum really was my saviour on the night I was diagnosed, when I wrote my first post entitled “Shell Shocked” and was showered with advice and support by the bucketful. I’m now trying to pay back to newbies who have the fortune to land here.
Well done to everyone involved :)
@Rachox was the first person to reach out to me after my first post........and softly chided me for my admittedly frightful infected big toe avatar.....she hasn't yet told me off for using too many ........'s though. On a serious note....thanks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to the people who set up this wonderful forum and everyone on it who have supported me and continue to do so.