5 weeks after immunotherapy induced DKA - and Blood sugar still erratic

Ruth1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone, I posted on here a couple of weeks ago, following a severe DKA. I am told my immunotherapy treatment 'fried' my islets - both alpha and beta cells. I think that means no honeymoon period, I have fallen off a cliff edge. I am on 30U Levermir at 8am, and 4U at 8pm, and am now carb counting with Novarapid. My blood sugar is hard to control. Yesterday it was over 20, and then shot down to 4.1 over 1.5 hours, and today, for no reason I can understand, breakfast was fine..peaked at 10,and then came down a bit low, so I had an early lunch and then I had a peak 2 hours after lunch of 16, and now at 13... I never stay in the target region of 5-9...travelling swiftly through it either up or down. Feeling very fed up, as I dont understand how to control this! Any advice or help, or just encouragement gratefully received!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. It sounds like you are doing well for eating normally. Unlike a normal person's insulin injected insulin does not match the foods you are eating so if you eat normally, you will spike your blood sugars after a meal that contains carbohydrates. As long as your blood sugars return into your target range 4-5 hours after eating then you have dosed correctly. Blood sugar control is a marathon rather than a sprint. There are online courses you can do such as https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ which will helps to understand the numbers. Good luck. Keep asking questions.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Ruth1961 , unfortunately it takes time to get the hang of insulin dosing. It's a bit of a platitude, but it really is true that controlling T1 is a marathon not a sprint and you are still very near the start of the race.

Plus if you are continuing to have treatment for your cancer I'm guessing this make your insulin doses less predictable, as any form of illness is notorious at pushing up insulin needs.

Do you have frequent contact with your diabetic team? I would guess that at this stage there is still adjustment needed for your insulin doses. The good news is that after a few years it gets much easier to tweak you basal and bolus doses yourself, but at the beginning you really need help.

As a long term T1 I find that getting my basal dosing is the first thing to address, and then I can adjust my bolus....

• Agree
Reactions: ert and Hopeful34