50g Carbs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoooo Guys. Please. Getting heated.
I only asked why I can’t get into Ketosis.
Sorry.
Probably too many carbs still.
Can you try cutting back a bit more? Its usually kind of guaranteed if you are below 20g per day. Then you can reintroduce a few more if you feel the need to.
Edit to add I find only eating twice or once a day helps a lot too (as well as being easier to get the carbs down).

Reactions: flexi06 and zand

Monty19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please help.
I was diagnosed about four weeks ago.
I jumped right into LCHF at 50carbs. Trouble is I’m not losing any weight. Iv put s little on.

Low carbers please explain. What it is you eat?
Iv been eating ? Chicken broccoli and 100g new pots or fish and veg I’m weighing everything and adding up the carbs I’m aiming for 50 carbs once went up to 65 carbs.
What does one eat that doesn’t have carbs.
This is making me think what can I do.
Appreciate any ones advice. Many thanks.
Hi
If you are aiming for 50 carbs a day you would need to increase your green veg and get rid of potatoes rice or pasta. Cauliflower rice is a good substitute and works well for curries or chilli style meals. I often have an omelette and salad for lunch ( sometimes an omelette with pizza topping for a change ( mozzarella, tomatoes and herbs sometimes with pepperoni)
Roasted aubergine cubes are fab with garlicky yoghurt dressing as a side as is ratatouille at this time of year.
Hope this helps a bit!
I agree that drinking plenty of water is important as is staying off alcohol!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry.
Hi @Wilber123 as youve discovered passions can run high on the forum ;) majority of members just want to pass on what worked for them, but we are humans not robots or clones so we all find different approaches work best for our unique bodies.

Have a look at the dietdoctor website for some great keto recipes which might help with the food inspiration.

Reactions: flexi06

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't stay in ketosis at 50g carbs a day either. IMO you need to reduce them a little more and don't worry about the calories, just count carbs.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Sorry.
I'm sorry that you feel things are heated. From my end, that is not the case. Any argument I put forward is proffered in a logical and unemotional way. I don't mind that people don't agree with me. In fact, the contributors such as Lucky, Bulkbiker and Zand are ones that I have great respect for. Their contributions to this board have been excellent over time and I've even made use of their remarks. It doesn't mean that I agree with them every time.

In your initial post on this thread there is no mention of attempted ketosis. This may be the source of confusion. I read that you have reduced carbohydrates to 50g but weight loss still is elusive. I made the logical observation that if these carbs are down to 50g ( only about 800 kJ worth ) and you still gain weight then the remaining elements of the diet is still too high in kJ. The argument is axiomatic since 50g of carbs contains only 800 kJ of energy. Unless you are very thin and small that will not be enough to even provide a day's worth scratching your backside.

This is the basic reason why your kJ consumption of food intake should be just under what the body requires to fuel itself. Once the food source is depleted internal reserves are used. The energy used results in reduced mass as Einstein showed over a century ago.

Don't feel discouraged and I hope you've picked up something useful to you. Good luck.
Glenn

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi @Wilber123 as youve discovered passions can run high on the forum ;) majority of members just want to pass on what worked for them, but we are humans not robots or clones so we all find different approaches work best for our unique bodies.

Have a look at the dietdoctor website for some great keto recipes which might help with the food inspiration.
Yes, passions can run high but I hope not in an unfriendly way. These types of discussions is where things are learned and this board is all the better for it.

tom2512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please help.
I was diagnosed about four weeks ago.
I jumped right into LCHF at 50carbs. Trouble is I’m not losing any weight. Iv put s little on.

Low carbers please explain. What it is you eat?
Iv been eating ? Chicken broccoli and 100g new pots or fish and veg I’m weighing everything and adding up the carbs I’m aiming for 50 carbs once went up to 65 carbs.
What does one eat that doesn’t have carbs.
This is making me think what can I do.
Appreciate any ones advice. Many thanks.

Hi @Wilber123
I am awee bit surprised that you are going straight into LCHF so shortly after first diagnosis. My own experience has been that it is not required. Because of high cholesterol levels and existing hypertension conditions I felt that the LCHF diet would not be appropriate for me and have controlled my weight by reducing calorie intake. My starting point was a New Year resolution, prior to diagnosis, to lose weight on the principle " no booze or biscuits Monday to Friday" and encouraged by Tom Kerridge's excellent TV series " How to Lose Weight…". That got me onto a far healthier diet and after I was diagnosed with Type 2 in late January this year I simply had to adjust my diet slightly to take account of the carb intake but have not let carbs rule. On my doctors advice I exercise regularly and joined a local gym but in reality the same could be achieved with a brisk walk every day.
My target calorie intake was determined simply from the NHS BMI calculator (I know that there are some picky detractors of BMI but for the common or garden fatty as I was, I think it a very useful tool).
I monitor my foods and BG levels using One Drop, simply because it is compatible with the Health App of my iPhone and has recently paired with Fit Bit.
According to my records my daily averages are 160 carbs/day and 1650 calories/day over the last 3 months.
During the last 6 months I have lost 14.5 kg in weight my HbA1c has dropped from 64 mmol/mol at diagnosis to 49 at my last test in late May. My cholesterol has also reduced, my blood pressure is under control and I hope by my next test to have dropped out of the diabetic range but accept that I will never be cured - controlled remission is all I can hope for, and that I might get a decent sandwich now and again

In the previous contributions in this discussion, other than a brief mention of scratching one's bottom, I saw no mention of exercise in the discussion of carbs v kcal. While every little bit helps, if the calorie counters of the gym equipment are accurate you have to do a lot of work to earn a crust of bread so it is a long road to haul to lose weight through exercise only unless you have a lot of time to spend. But it has great benefit in reducing blood glucose levels.

I offer this to other Type 2 's who might feel daunted by a rigorous LCHF regime. I cannot comment on Type 1 of which I have no experience

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had many hours of wry amusement reading some of the threads on here - but just to throw in another pingpong ball - eating low carb can lower blood glucose enough to put Hba1c and daily readings into the normal range - I ate a maximum of 50 gm per day to do that in just 6 months, though I was below the cut off point for actual diabetes in 80 days - so losing weight is possibly a misdirection - it baffled the diabetes 'education' pair I must say.
I have reduced my carb intake even further to try to lose weight as I have gone down quite a significant amount and then stopped for some reason.
I am trying to build up muscle, so perhaps that is increasing my appetite, I am not sure - I wasn't paying attention at the time.
Don't worry too much about weightloss - there is a mantra which goes lose weight get better - which doctors and nurses have repeated to me so many times over the years, but they could never give me any useful advice on how to lose weight - now I am 67 I don't really care all that much about anything except keeping myself as a healthy mind in a healthy body.
Yes, I am still fat and old, but I just finished the servicing of knitting machines for the second of three local university departments this year - and I feel quite fit and rather happy too.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, interesting thread. My own opinion on is "one way wont fix all" Some do well on low calorie, some do well on Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) others don't. For me personally I found LCHF works. I do 18/6 fasting every day, no food from 20.00 to 14.00 next day, with only black tea, coffee and water during fast. I started on 20% carbs or less per day then reduced to 5% or less a couple of weeks ago. I continued to loose weight at a steady pace, no big change in weight loss or blood glucose even with the reduced carbs. I just feel better with the reduced carbs. Progress over last 2 months Weight loss 2 1/2 stone, Bg down from 16.6 to 4.9 averaged over 30 days. LCHF works for me and I don't count calories. Good luck on whatever journey you take. :)