50g Carbs

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Please help.
I was diagnosed about four weeks ago.
I jumped right into LCHF at 50carbs. Trouble is I’m not losing any weight. Iv put s little on.

Low carbers please explain. What it is you eat?
Iv been eating ? Chicken broccoli and 100g new pots or fish and veg I’m weighing everything and adding up the carbs I’m aiming for 50 carbs once went up to 65 carbs.
What does one eat that doesn’t have carbs.
This is making me think what can I do.
Appreciate any ones advice. Many thanks.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please help.
I jumped right into LCHF at 50carbs. Trouble is I’m not losing any weight. Iv put s little on.

Iv been eating ? Chicken broccoli and 100g new pots or fish and veg I’m weighing everything and adding up the carbs I’m aiming for 50 carbs once went up to 65 carbs.
First thought is lose the potatoes.

What exactly did you eat yesterday?

Reactions: leatrix and flexi06

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in May’17. I have eaten low carb since the day of my diagnosis. I’ve never gone really high fat just enough to keep me from getting hungry. That’s what worked for me.

Reactions: flexi06 and pluto1a

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome, you might want to consider not having any potato, rice or pasta initially, they are not a good choice for many people with type 2. They also will count for a high percentage of your 50g allowance, try substituting with cauliflower prepared or bought as rice or mashed with butter. There is a very informative thread you might want to dip into, I’m not sure how to post the link to it but hopefully one of the lovely knowledgeable people here will help, it’s called what have you eaten today, we post our daily menu sometimes including photos, it’s a great place forgetting ideas on what to eat.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Pre meal are an average of 6.5
Occasionally they are 5.5
Post meal depending o. What Iv eaten usually 7.
I am definitely not eating much but I’m having cream in coffee, and butter etc a bit of salad.
Don’t understand what you all eat
Everything has carbs some say moderate protein, how do you fill up.
This am no breakfast. Not eaten since 6pm day before a small fast.
Lunch. A large pouched piece of cod. Dinner. Scrambled egg and salad. My bg has barely moved

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Wilber123 do you have much weight to lose? Have you tried walking? I started low carb and walking for an hour an evening after main meal and lost an average of 2lb a week. You do need to watch that you are not having too much cream/butter/mayonnaise/cheese.
Maybe you're not eating enough?
I eat below 50g carb a day. Breakfast is greek yoghurt with seeds and strawberries, lunch is salad with cheese or tuna or chicken, dinner is salad with chicken and I can eat a very small portion of potatoes. I don't snack in between meals or after my main meal.generally. If I do need something to eat then it will be a measured portion of nuts or a low carb jelly.
Hope this helps.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Wilber123 I think we need to start from the basics.

If you haven't already done so, download the mySugr app. It is free.

To get a clearer picture of what is going on, first thing in the morning test and record the number. Don't worry if your fasting numbers are high, they are generally the last to go down.

Immediately before you eat, test and record. Enter into the app what you eat and the portion size.

Test again 2 hrs after your first bite. If the reading is over 2 higher than the first then you had too many carbs in your meal or the portion was too large.

Do this for anything you put in your mouth.

Take a reading at bedtime. Morning and bedtime readings are not absolutely necessary but it all helps you to build a picture.

After about a week, mySugr will give you an estimated HbA1c number based on your data.

It takes a while to get your head around Diabetes and LCHF. You will make lots of mistakes, treat them as part of the education process.

Beware of any sort of ready meal. As well as looking at the carbs you need to read the ingredients. Lots of nasties hidden there.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank so much.
I do bg in the morning
I do bg before and 2hours after meals. I’m sticking to all the food on the diet Dr list.
I have not used the sugar app so that has to be my next step.
As a general rule my bg is around 2
Difference.
Bought ketostix still on base level. Not understanding where I’m going wrong.
Iv been doing 50g carbs on average. I think maybe for me this may be too many.

Reactions: flexi06

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank so much.
I do bg in the morning
I do bg before and 2hours after meals. I’m sticking to all the food on the diet Dr list.
Difference.
You are only a month in. It takes time to get your head around things. You are unlikely to see big differences so soon.

Slow and steady is the way to go. Don't worry about going straight into ketosis. Get used to the new food, weighing everything, the discipline of testing. Stressing about things will raise your BG.

Get to know the mySugr app. It seemed to take me ages for my numbers to start coming down. I started with an HbA1c of 122 and it took me 6 months to get it down to 35.

Reactions: leatrix and flexi06

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank so much.
I do bg in the morning
Difference.
It can take weeks, if not a couple of months to bring down sugar levels. Our bodies need to adapt to the new way of eating and using the fuel we give it. Take time, take is at a pace you can keep up. Its a marathon, not a sprint.As your bg is around a difference of 2 after meals, you are doing it right, your body mechanisms just need to catch up now.

you are doing well.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t understand what you all eat

Meat...fatty meat... :D

But I am aiming for glucose control...not weight loss...
15350567_10154905134049445_6047706744370902244_n.jpg

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Please help.

If you want to lose weight you will need to reduce the total kJ intake. Reducing carbs and then making up the difference with fats and proteins will keep weight about the same. You have two targets so you need two arrows.
Lower BG -> reduce carbs
Lower weight -> reduce kJ
You need to do both.
Have fun.