"A new you in 42"

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that's amazing peacetrain.....how I long to be overweight! Well done. x
You will do it too :)

I was 20st 5lb this time last year. Literally twice the woman I used to be. Some of the loss was due to un diagnosed T2. I must say that I haven't struggled to lose the weight. I think I've been so obsessed with my bg and how to get that down the weight loss has been secondary ... A means to an end.

When you're looking at a large weight loss target, it can defeat before the battle has started. That's the difficult part... The mental frame of mind. I've been lucky enough not to have had any blips.

About 10 years ago I had reached 22st 7lb. I joined Rosemary Conley because it included an hour aerobic work out. I lost 6st 7lb but put most of it back on over the years. The lady who ran the club had to give it up for personal reasons and there wasn't another in my area. That was the cue for a downward spiral. I tried weight watchers but could never get my head round it. I went to slimming world but liked the recipes so much I ate the whole lot!! I live alone so intended to freeze some but it never happened.

Although Rosemary Conley helped me at the time, I realise now that I wasn't really eating healthily. The theory was eat less than 5% fat. When I look back now I can see I was feeding my carb addiction. My sister is still doing that and I worry. She is a lot heavier than I was but I can't advise. People in glass houses. Also people have to make decisions for themselves in order to succeed.

I have progressed through fear of the consequences. I've read that some hear have started out successfully, then fallen off the wagon. I am very scared that I will fall of the wagon too. I hope I don't.

I will keep visiting here, because it helps so much and I'm extremely thankful to everyone.

:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK peacetrain, let's stay on the wagon together! My next big target is for my BMI to be less than 35...I've got a long way to go to get to that one.

Yes, I think most of the diets I tried, particularly in the early days fed my carb addiction too.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Really interesting that you have lost weight too - do you think this is due to changing how you exercise, or have you modified your diet? :D That's me grinning cos you lost 1.8kg!

I've had the rower for about 3 weeks now, and tend to use it in short stints of 5-10 minutes (I'm not Steve Redgrave!) so it could be the impact of that starting to kick in. No change in diet, I've been doing LCHF for 3 months at around 50g carbs/day. My weight loss had stalled for 2-3 weeks but it wasn't going up again and I don't count calories especially.

Well done on the weight loss sanguine :).

This is useful information because it's interesting to see the effects of the exercise.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your last HbA1c ?

I've only had one so far, the 65 from diagnosis that's in my sig. Blood tests for next one are in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
You will do it too :)

I was 20st 5lb this time last year. Literally twice the woman I used to be. Some of the loss was due to un diagnosed T2. I must say that I haven't struggled to lose the weight. I think I've been so obsessed with my bg and how to get that down the weight loss has been secondary ... A means to an end.

When you're looking at a large weight loss target, it can defeat before the battle has started. That's the difficult part... The mental frame of mind. I've been lucky enough not to have had any blips.

About 10 years ago I had reached 22st 7lb. I joined Rosemary Conley because it included an hour aerobic work out. I lost 6st 7lb but put most of it back on over the years. The lady who ran the club had to give it up for personal reasons and there wasn't another in my area. That was the cue for a downward spiral. I tried weight watchers but could never get my head round it. I went to slimming world but liked the recipes so much I ate the whole lot!! I live alone so intended to freeze some but it never happened.

Although Rosemary Conley helped me at the time, I realise now that I wasn't really eating healthily. The theory was eat less than 5% fat. When I look back now I can see I was feeding my carb addiction. My sister is still doing that and I worry. She is a lot heavier than I was but I can't advise. People in glass houses. Also people have to make decisions for themselves in order to succeed.

I have progressed through fear of the consequences. I've read that some hear have started out successfully, then fallen off the wagon. I am very scared that I will fall of the wagon too. I hope I don't.

I will keep visiting here, because it helps so much and I'm extremely thankful to everyone.

:)

I hope you do :) do you have a target weight in mind? I need to lose one stone exactly before I am in the overweight category. Counting off the pounds as we speak!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK peacetrain, let's stay on the wagon together! My next big target is for my BMI to be less than 35...I've got a long way to go to get to that one.

Yes, I think most of the diets I tried, particularly in the early days fed my carb addiction too.
It's a deal!

My BMI was just over 44 and now it's 29.9. We can do it. :)

Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had the rower for about 3 weeks now, and tend to use it in short stints of 5-10 minutes (I'm not Steve Redgrave!) so it could be the impact of that starting to kick in. No change in diet, I've been doing LCHF for 3 months at around 50g carbs/day. My weight loss had stalled for 2-3 weeks but it wasn't going up again and I don't count calories especially.

I've only had one so far, the 65 from diagnosis that's in my sig. Blood tests for next one are in a couple of weeks.
I'm sure you will have improved it :)

Sorry but signatures don't appear when I use my mobile, which is most of the time.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scandichic according to the BMI calculator my range at 5' 7.5" is 8st 8lb to 11st 8lb

Pre age 32 (when I went to university with the aim of becoming a teacher), my heaviest was 11st 3lb and lightest 9st 2lb. I looked dreadful at the lower level and mum told me off. I would say 10st to 10st 7lb was my ideal in those days. I was obsessed and would run myself into the ground to lose weight. I still ate carbs but in the form of fruit, when I was on a fitness binge. I've always been a cheese, bread and pastry addict ( not anymore).

My first target is to get to 11st 3lb and see how I feel and look. I have to factor in the weight of the loose skin. That's an unknown at the moment. Depending on how I feel I think I may try for 10st 10lb.

Obviously weight loss will get harder as I near my normal range. At this moment, I'm prepared for that because it's the bg levels that are most important to me. I hope that frame of mind continues.

You have done well too, despite some illness. I'm sure you'll achieve your target.

The great thing about you is, even though you've had some health setbacks, you're always bright and breezy here and that spurs (sorry Zand) everyone else on.

Thanks for the hugs. Hug you back :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Scandichic according to the BMI calculator my range at 5' 7.5" is 8st 8lb to 11st 8lb

Pre age 32 (when I went to university with the aim of becoming a teacher), my heaviest was 11st 3lb and lightest 9st 2lb. I looked dreadful at the lower level and mum told me off. I would say 10st to 10st 7lb was my ideal in those days. I was obsessed and would run myself into the ground to lose weight. I still ate carbs but in the form of fruit, when I was on a fitness binge. I've always been a cheese, bread and pastry addict ( not anymore).

My first target is to get to 11st 3lb and see how I feel and look. I have to factor in the weight of the loose skin. That's an unknown at the moment. Depending on how I feel I think I may try for 10st 10lb.

Obviously weight loss will get harder as I near my normal range. At this moment, I'm prepared for that because it's the bg levels that are most important to me. I hope that frame of mind continues.

You have done well too, despite some illness. I'm sure you'll achieve your target.

The great thing about you is, even though you've had some health setbacks, you're always bright and breezy here and that spurs (sorry Zand) everyone else on.

Hi Peacetrain I am the same weight as you and I'm aiming for 10 10 as well.
3lb to loose..might wait til after my cruise though. ..

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Now we are nearly at the end of this challenge, and moving on to sustainable activity ( sorry I know that sounds like management speak) I would like to thank everyone for supporting each other through the good and bad days.
I have lost about 10lb since I started being more active ( for me that was end of March).
The biggest positive is that I seem to be able to tolerate a bit more carbs , not going over board with them though. I no longer have horrible hot sweats or times where I feel that I can't function. From the info I have got on here I think this may be down to 3 things;
* loosing weight means I don't need as much insulin secreted
* lower carbs in my diet means I don't need as much insulin secreted
* being more active means that I use more of the carbs that I do eat and therefore I don't need as much insulin secreted.
That may be utter tosh but at the end of the day I FEEL MUCH BETTER THAN I DID AT THE END OF MARCH AND I AM GOING TO CARRY ON DOING WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME ....hope you all heard that lol.
THANKYOU AGAIN FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART :) :) :)

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Can't wait to tell my hubbie that! He thinks I'm more like Victor Meldrew. Says you clearly don't know me! I think I might take the rather expensive red (half price bargin as he's just been paid) I've just bought for him back to the shop! Lol!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Now we are nearly at the end of this challenge, and moving on to sustainable activity ( sorry I know that sounds like management speak) I would like to thank everyone for supporting each other through the good and bad days.
I have lost about 10lb since I started being more active ( for me that was end of March).
The biggest positive is that I seem to be able to tolerate a bit more carbs , not going over board with them though. I no longer have horrible hot sweats or times where I feel that I can't function. From the info I have got on here I think this may be down to 3 things;
* loosing weight means I don't need as much insulin secreted
* lower carbs in my diet means I don't need as much insulin secreted
* being more active means that I use more of the carbs that I do eat and therefore I don't need as much insulin secreted.
That may be utter tosh but at the end of the day I FEEL MUCH BETTER THAN I DID AT THE END OF MARCH AND I AM GOING TO CARRY ON DOING WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME ....hope you all heard that lol.
THANKYOU AGAIN FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART :) :) :)

Please, please,please set a new challenge! I have loved this thread!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

I think weight watchers did that to me , all the low fat high fibre ..
I have seen the light now ..

Zand can I suggest that if you have a way to go to bmi35 don't just drop the number by 1 , what I mean is if your bmi is 40 then make your goal 39 , that is achievable and will keep you motivated. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Please, please,please set a new challenge! I have loved this thread!

Ive started the sporty forty thread . I'm happy for a new timescale challenge if you wish though..what do you think everyone?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jamrox
Where is it? Please will you tag me?