A small rant.

finn91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, constant arquing, yelling,narsistic people,
Hey and greetings from finland. Im fairly newly diagnosided type 1 (unfortunetly) im currently on lantus (22 units at morning) for long insulin and novorapid for meals. I joined here since my own countrys diabetic forums atmosphere is poisonous, very narcictic, everyone argued over most things and what helped one should help all but surprise something that helps one might not help the other (sorry my misspelling), point being there wanst much help to be offered, in here it seems more welcomming and helpfull atmosphere.
Anyways, is it weird that most people are concern about low blood sugars but im more afraid of ketoacidoasis or that acid poisoning (same thing i assume), even when bloodsugars are bit high like 9 or 10 (maybe couple times this short ive been diabetic) my insticts goes full on fear mode, on tuesday bloodsugar was at 11 2 hours after breakfest my mind went full on fear but half hour later it was dropped to 8 and then rest of the day it bloodsugar was on normal levels. My morning level before breakfest was about 7,5, throu out the day i wondered why it jumped that high, i remember seeing sizeable air bubble on my novorapid pen maybe it was because of that or higher powers are bullying me, i dont know ive cursed and cried so much because of this disease that only thing that keeps not going insane is ma and pa and home in generally.
One thing ive been wondering is that after meals does bloodsugar have little spike or is it just it shouldnt spike at all, pa and couple of my co-workers(both co-workers are diabetic) say that it spikes a little even on non diabetic persosns or is it just to comforyt me and help me relax.

Sorry for me misspellings and some terms wrote wrong, but i wanted to wrote something since its more welcomming in here.
take care yall.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome@finn91 Sorry you have not found much support in your journey since diagnosis. Hopefully we will live up to your expectations. We are generally a very supportive and fun bunch. Let’s face it we are all in it together. As you have found some people like to be dogmatic about what works for them. But we are all individuals. The type 1 group manage their condition in different ways which suit them.
To address your worries over high levels. All people have a sugar spike after eating, diabetic or not. It is just that we have to artificially manage ours. We experiment with different foods and injecting at different times before eating. For instance if you inject just as you are about to eat, try injecting 5 mins before. Gauge the results and perhaps try longer if you are still peaking. Spikes for short times will not create ketoacidosis. And is highly unlikely with the numbers you are describing. These events are rare, usually occur when you are ill and cannot get your numbers down. And the numbers will be much higher.
Perhaps also try altering your breakfast food. Mornings are notorious to control as the act of waking and getting started tends to put our levels up. At the other end of the day things tend to be easier to control.
Keep asking questions. I am sure the regular posters will pop In with more advice

Reactions: mike@work

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey and greetings from finland. Im fairly newly diagnosided type 1 (unfortunetly) im currently on lantus (22 units at morning) for long insulin and novorapid for meals. I joined here since my own countrys diabetic forums atmosphere is poisonous, very narcictic, everyone argued over most things and what helped one should help all but surprise something that helps one might not help the other (sorry my misspelling), point being there wanst much help to be offered, in here it seems more welcomming and helpfull atmosphere.
Anyways, is it weird that most people are concern about low blood sugars but im more afraid of ketoacidoasis or that acid poisoning (same thing i assume), even when bloodsugars are bit high like 9 or 10 (maybe couple times this short ive been diabetic) my insticts goes full on fear mode, on tuesday bloodsugar was at 11 2 hours after breakfest my mind went full on fear but half hour later it was dropped to 8 and then rest of the day it bloodsugar was on normal levels. My morning level before breakfest was about 7,5, throu out the day i wondered why it jumped that high, i remember seeing sizeable air bubble on my novorapid pen maybe it was because of that or higher powers are bullying me, i dont know ive cursed and cried so much because of this disease that only thing that keeps not going insane is ma and pa and home in generally.
One thing ive been wondering is that after meals does bloodsugar have little spike or is it just it shouldnt spike at all, pa and couple of my co-workers(both co-workers are diabetic) say that it spikes a little even on non diabetic persosns or is it just to comforyt me and help me relax.

Sorry for me misspellings and some terms wrote wrong, but i wanted to wrote something since its more welcomming in here.
take care yall.
Hey there,

Sorry you didn't connect with people in Finland. I had much the same problem here in the Netherlands. Thankfully, there's this place. I'm just a T2, so not much practical use, and if I stick my foot in my mouth someone more knowledgeable will usually gently point it out, so... Take anything I say with a grain or two of salt. Or a bag full. In any case... People's bloodsugars fluctuate throughout the day. In the morning they go up thanks to a liver dump, (It thinks its helping), your lantus takes care of that, and your Novo takes care of the spikes after eating. All humans -and cats, and horses, and...- go up after a meal, not just diabetics. Thing is, what do you consider a spike? You seem to be relatively well controlled, (I've heard of loads worse), so I think it's mostly a beginner's panic. You'll get the hang of this. DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) is scary, yes, but so are hypo's. I've read of some T1's who reduce their carb intake (carbs turn to glucose once ingested.), so they don't have big spikes anymore, just little ones they can easily cover with their insulin... Could be a way to make sure you don't go too high, but it would be really easy to go too low, if you don't know what you're doing. So, basically... Talk to your diabetes team, and if you don't have a dietician, ask for one. They're not always up to speed, but you don't want to do this alone. Anyway, with your current numbers DKA is unlikely... You're closer to the other end. You do carry some form of sugar for emergencies, right? Not saying one is around the corner, but you know, just to make sure.

I learned to live with T2, reumatism, migraines, a faulty thyroid and warped spine, among other things. Most of those things just mean pain in some form or other. You are dealing with something a bit more, you know... Immediate. That is overwhelming, and scary, and something you shouldn't underestimate the emotional impact of: Ask for help if and when you need it. On the forum there's a load of people who've been at this for years if not decades, but also your team. They're there to help you, and if things get too much, they can refer you to a therapist, should you think you need one. Just, you know.... Keep talking, to anyone you feel comfortable with. Don't eat it up.

Hugs,
Jo

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there @finn91 !
Welcome to a (usually :angelic:) great forum. Had to answer this one, as I'm too a Finn, but a Swedish talking Finn, so I'm not so keen in taking part in a deeper conversation in Finnish - well over to your concerns.
With BGLs at about 11, you should not have to be too worried about ketones, as long as you have taken Insulin. This does not on the other hand hinder, that you are feeling lousy with BGLs above 9 or 10, but that's ONLY because of a bit high levels and probably not because of ketones in your body. If you are not taking Insuli reulary, then you could start worrying about ketones also, but not before that. With Insulin taken, I dare claim you shold not have to worry about ketones before you are well above hyper-limit, or in other words, well above 11.1 mmol/l. As a Type 1 you should be able to get a "ketometer" for free, just ask for one.
About your other worries I just simply but hopefully friendly enough say: Type 1 is every day giving bigger or smaller surprises,
so your morning problems could very possibly have been those air-bubbles. As long as you have a good explanation for strange values, just take things calmly - it's when you get several strange values, and don't have a clue abouttheir reasons you can start to worry a bit.
About spiking after meals, then your dad is fully right on target. You have to time your Insulin and have exactly the right amount of carbs to not spike, and that is very often almost impossible. That been said, your spikes should not bee too powerful, because that could in the long run possibly give diabetic complications. Try to keep your levels in the range of 4 - 7.8 mmol/l at all time, and you should be able to keep problems aloof. Note that this is not a rule, that is not unbreakable - we could all get different problems, and it can happen with or without Type 1.

We are a bunch of oldies here, who have already lived quite free from problems for 50 years + already, so don't panic beforehand. I'm tagging them, so you could get some more answers to ponder

Calling @porl69 @helensaramay @Juicyj and @Robinredbreast for example, probably forgot many names this time, but sorry for that - you'll be mentioned next time...

Hope you feel welcome here finn91, and welcome once again :)

Edited to say: I suppose you are type 1, as this was posted in type 1 forum - please fill in your profiles data.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @finn91
Welcome! Yes as @becca59 says there will always be a spike (unless possibly you are a tech master and closed looping where you may manage to zap them).
Ask any questions you need to, the people here are good at general principles and suggestions of what might work.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @finn91 welcome to the forum as said above even non diabetics spike after food so dont worry as long as numbers are back in range 4 hours later i was told not to worry .i eat the same breakfast every morning (boring i know)sometimes i get a small spike sometimes a big spike just try and not get too hung up on the numbers you will be fine x

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @finn91 and welcome to the forum :)

Yes it can all feel pretty over whelming to start with - if you're ok with reading a book then pick up a copy of 'Think like a pancreas' which is available on Amazon but an excellent read written by a type 1 - Gary Scheiner. Lots of great advice already posted here, but yes it's a bit like being on a roller coaster ride you can't get off at times, we all deal with it differently but I found support was vital, also taking up exercise and meditation saved me in the early days, we're all here to help so shout us when you need us :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hei @finn91 sorry to see you are a diabetic member, it's a club no one wants to belong to
I agree with @karen8967 don't get too worked up about numbers, I have practically the same breakfast every morning and have different results. I say diabetes is predictably unpredictable, just like our British weather :rolleyes:
Lots of helpful information from other members., which will help.
Thanks for the tag @mike@work
ps, I did my DNA a few months ago and I am 1%Finish :)

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum! I learned so much here from the experience of others. I am sure it will help you too. Do you count carbs and base the amount of before-meals insulin on that, or are you on a fixed dosage?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @finn91

A warm welcome to the forum.

I would certainly agree with you that there is no "one size" that fits us all.. ;)

My wife & i have visited friends near Vaasa in Finland & have fond memories of the stay.
Talking of my non D wife. Yep, I ran the meter by her on a couple of occasions (as an "experiment.") as @helensaramay points out, it is possible for a "norm" to spike near that region.

It seems to be early days for your diabetic journey. Don't compare yourself to others until you understand your own road first.

finn91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, constant arquing, yelling,narsistic people,
Greetings everyone, thänk you all for replies, im more relaxed now when im driving my big rigg.
i was told by my nurse that with my numbers there aint much chance ketoacidoasis to rise unless of course im sick, i went to hospital because of that ketoacidoasis (levels where dangeroasly high) maybe i got just traumatised because of it.

im not expecting much here other thatn i get some guidance for this disease, some help to combat this, physically im fine (fine and fine) mentally im almost broken but like i said my parenst precense keeps depression and anger somewhat away. ive done some experiments with some foods, and exercising when i feel, but truck drivers day is that we leave at morning and lord knows when we come back, i dont have much motivation to exercise after long day but at weekends i try to exercise unless parents have some work and they need help.

Ive done some experitments with chocolate, i take a little piece between meals and i assume one little piece wont raise it to sky high and it hasnt, after meals i do same thing no spikes, i guess little bite wont harm me if i take it sometimes, many things lower it too sauna lowers bloodsugar and exercising at least in me it does.

But thänk you all for thi, im sure all of your help benefits.