According to my consultant.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you are still diabetic mate.
According to everything that I've read and even Brunneria. Has been there the thing is,you can be diabetic and have hypoglycaemia, but you can't be reactive hypoglycaemic and be a diabetic, though as Brunneria has, she is now T2.

debbiiee

I have to follow a T2 diabetic diet because I am carb and sugar intolerant. My condition, known as Reactive Hypoglycemia, means that when I eat a carb rich food, I spike up to an hour later, my pancreas flushes insulin and because of that and more science, my blood sugar drop rapidly, which produces a hypo. Then I have to have something to offset the hypo and if I don't do it gradual then I will yo-yo between hyper and hypo.
I am on meds that inhibit the flushing of insulin into my bloods. So far they have worked, though I still have to keep testing and trying low carb foods, soon I hope, I can try medium carbs if all goes well or I may have to increase my meds and I don' want to do that!
Hi
Can you please tell the meds that u take to inhibit flushing of insulin into ur bloods? Non-diabetics may experience hypo which is autocorrected by the body's homeostatic mechanisms. I am really surprised to know about this reactive hypoglycemia. Have to make a study about that:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
Can you please tell the meds that u take to inhibit flushing of insulin into ur bloods? Non-diabetics may experience hypo which is autocorrected by the body's homeostatic mechanisms. I am really surprised to know about this reactive hypoglycemia. Have to make a study about that:)

The meds I'm on is an oral antihyperglycaeric inhibitor. (Wow!)
It works to inhibit the enzyme DPP4.
It breaks down the Incretins gastrointestinal hormones released after a meal.(wow again)
I'm going back to bed after this!
They increase the secretion and suppress the release of insulin and glucagon by the alpha cells of the pancreas.
This drives blood glucose levels to normal. Blood glucose normalise. Insulin and Glucagon arms suppressed. No overshoot (flushing) and low blood sugar.
Thank you the internet!
Going the kitchen for a cuppa now. Need stimulation, me 'ead hurts.

Because I am still learning myself, I am intrigued about glucagon and what is it's role and it's effect is on the endocrinine system.
The effects of different named enzymes and cells also want studying, so I might want to take time out posting. Just to see what is better for me diet and lifestyle choices

Thanks for your interest, I am still coming to terms that the bombshell of not having diabetes and being wrongly diagnosed all them years ago, is really stunning and mind numbing. Especially when there is aWorld Cup on!

Reactions: 3 people

debbiiee

The meds I'm on is an oral antihyperglycaeric inhibitor. (Wow!)
It works to inhibit the enzyme DPP4.
It breaks down the Incretins gastrointestinal hormones released after a meal.(wow again)
I'm going back to bed after this!
They increase the secretion and suppress the release of insulin and glucagon by the alpha cells of the pancreas.
This drives blood glucose levels to normal. Blood glucose normalise. Insulin and Glucagon arms suppressed. No overshoot (flushing) and low blood sugar.
Thank you the internet!
Going the kitchen for a cuppa now. Need stimulation, me 'ead hurts.

Because I am still learning myself, I am intrigued about glucagon and what is it's role and it's effect is on the endocrinine system.
The effects of different named enzymes and cells also want studying, so I might want to take time out posting. Just to see what is better for me diet and lifestyle choices

Thanks for your interest, I am still coming to terms that the bombshell of not having diabetes and being wrongly diagnosed all them years ago, is really stunning and mind numbing. Especially when there is aWorld Cup on!
Do u have blood glucose levels over 10mmol over anytime? I think u r on gliptins, right?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do u have blood glucose levels over 10mmol over anytime? I think u r on gliptins, right?

I try not to, I have not tried high GI food to test it! I am reticent and worried that I hyper and if I do then I will crash in hypo, the only meds I'm on is the inhibitor. When I had a glucose test, within half an hour my glucose level was just over 12, and within the next two hours it crashed to under 3.
I have not ever been on gliptin.

debbiiee

I try not to, I have not tried high GI food to test it! I am reticent and worried that I hyper and if I do then I will crash in hypo, the only meds I'm on is the inhibitor. When I had a glucose test, within half an hour my glucose level was just over 12, and within the next two hours it crashed to under 3.
I have not ever been on gliptin.
DPP4 enzyme inhibitors usually are known as gliptins as for as i know... Thats y i asked. The main role of glucagon is to increase blood glucose by causing the liver to generate more glucose. Gliptins actually increase insulin & decrease glucagon giving good blood glucose levels especially postprandially. Many diabetics will be taking gliptins on prescription. I dont know any other class of drugs inhibiting DPP4. I will be happy if u can give the exact name of the drug u r taking:)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
DPP4 enzyme inhibitors usually are known as gliptins as for as i know... Thats y i asked. The main role of glucagon is to increase blood glucose by causing the liver to generate more glucose. Gliptins actually increase insulin & decrease glucagon giving good blood glucose levels especially postprandially. Many diabetics will be taking gliptins on prescription. I dont know any other class of drugs inhibiting DPP4. I will be happy if u can give the exact name of the drug u r taking:)

I 've just had another look and I was looking at the trade name, and it is a gliptin! Sorry!
I will have to agree with you and keep reading and learning! It's all new to me!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Stick around Nosher, we would miss your football insight ;)
My football team is so poor that I have become damaged in my insight into league football. To say that to watch 'survival' football for the past ten years that it has created a morgue atmosphere inside the ground, and a bull rush going past always brings a round of applause!

Our new gaffer seems to think that he can bring 'attacking' football back into the club, then no doubt the medical services will be overwhelmed when we actually get the ball in the oppositions penalty area! I may be a little harsh, but, I know the clubs reticence to allow the manager far too many attacking players on the pitch, indeed the board are quite happy to worry about win bonuses, and when we did have a winning run they threatened to renew contracts as this was having an adverse effect on the budgetary demands.
Enough about my woes, I am looking forward to seeing Bolton, Leeds and Leicester relegated and the Forest getting a stuffing at Prenton Park!
Hope everybody has their football wishes come true! Mine was seeing my 'small' club be in a 'major' cup final. (Even though we wuz robbed)

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been naughty this morning after having an omelette for breakie, I wasn't really hungry so I thought for my elevenses that I would try a piece of low GI bread toasted, nowt on it! I was 4.2 before, 2 hours later 5.1. I am made up! Gonna have a salad for lunch.
Might even try something really daring for my evening meal! Might,

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Just read the thread, seems like really good news Nosher, well done mate!

I don't know much about Tranmere Rovers, but when I worked in Ellesmere Port I used to go to the OK Diner which was quite near the ground if I remember correctly.

Definitely stick around and we can discuss football next season ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That must have been a while ago, the diner closed ages ago, can'remember! I worked in the port for over 30 years at the Vauxhall plant. Where did you work?

C'mon the Italians. Do us a favour!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah it was years ago!! At least 20 years. Can't remember exactly where it was but I worked for the company who put cable tv into the area, spent a few months there, the yard was in Ellesmere Port but worked all over The Wirrall

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah it was years ago!! At least 20 years. Can't remember exactly where it was but I worked for the company who put cable tv into the area, spent a few months there, the yard was in Ellesmere Port but worked all over The Wirrall
I remember the cable guys, guess what? Can't remember the companies name! The outskirts of the Port has changed with the outlet centre, but the town hasn't changed much.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
CableTel was the service provider, the contractor I worked for was Fitzpatrick Cable Services

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Actually it was NorTel I think, not CableTel

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type