Ignorant people, diabetes!
Whoever it was, they're now Virgin!!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I have read this many times and still cannot see why you are not diabetic. Can someone do the idiots guide for me? Please.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
According to all the text books and medical books, I have the symptoms of a hypoglycaemic, who are diabetics who constantly have low blood sugars. I have reactive hypoglycaemia, and you can't be a diabetic to have this condition. I react to sugars and carbs, whence I spike then crash into hypo, the reason I am rare is all to do with how I got to this stage. It is usual for people who have had bariatric??? surgery. With other causes.
I was initially diagnosed T2 and had to go through all the metformin and diet, but I have not been right for years.
I have not felt better, fitter and healthier in a long time since starting the meds!

I've tried to explain! But I only rate a paragraph, if you look it up on the NHS web site!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah but that's Wikipedia for you!

Now you know why I have such an interest in the diets and lifestyles of all diabetics!

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The meds I'm on is an oral antihyperglycaeric inhibitor. (Wow!)
It works to inhibit the enzyme DPP4.
It breaks down the Incretins gastrointestinal hormones released after a meal.(wow again)
I'm going back to bed after this!
They increase the secretion and suppress the release of insulin and glucagon by the alpha cells of the pancreas.
This drives blood glucose levels to normal. Blood glucose normalise. Insulin and Glucagon arms suppressed. No overshoot (flushing) and low blood sugar.
Thank you the internet!
Going the kitchen for a cuppa now. Need stimulation, me 'ead hurts.

Because I am still learning myself, I am intrigued about glucagon and what is it's role and it's effect is on the endocrinine system.
The effects of different named enzymes and cells also want studying, so I might want to take time out posting. Just to see what is better for me diet and lifestyle choices

Thanks for your interest, I am still coming to terms that the bombshell of not having diabetes and being wrongly diagnosed all them years ago, is really stunning and mind numbing. Especially when there is aWorld Cup on!
Hello, you have really done well and congratulations, but you must be rather miffed at what you have been through, wrongly diagnosed is not good, well the Glucagon you mentioned (science bit) is a polypeptide hormone secreated by the alpha cells in the islets of langerhans and is a response to hypoglycemia, or to stimulate growth hormone, initates a rise in blood sugar levels by stimulating the breakdownof glycogen in the liver. Produced in the pancreas. Also used in diabetic emergencies for hypos by ambulance crew. {from The Free Dictionary by fairfax}. Nosher8355 bit of help for you, with your research, are you going to take action due to the misdiagnosis?, will look out for your posts on your progress, ttfn

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, you have really done well and congratulations, but you must be rather miffed at what you have been through, wrongly diagnosed is not good, well the Glucagon you mentioned (science bit) is a polypeptide hormone secreated by the alpha cells in the islets of langerhans and is a response to hypoglycemia, or to stimulate growth hormone, initates a rise in blood sugar levels by stimulating the breakdownof glycogen in the liver. Produced in the pancreas. Also used in diabetic emergencies for hypos by ambulance crew. {from The Free Dictionary by fairfax}. Nosher8355 bit of help for you, with your research, are you going to take action due to the misdiagnosis?, will look out for your posts on your progress, ttfn
As a fellow merseysider you know nothing comes easy, we are not privileged enough to get star treatment, we cannot just go out and get the best treatment. In fact we do better than most areas, maybe we won't put up with it, so we have to fight through all the barriers in front of us. And finally even though the tide is against you, life has a way of muddling through until someone understands your problems. I take life as it comes, had nowt to start with, got myself a reasonably good education, especially from my background, passed 11+, went to a posh grammar school and all that involved! had a decent job, brought up my family through the dark days of Thatcherism and blairism and now these Tories, is it surprising that you have to fight your corner. I am used to being frustrated, it is a norm!
The success is finding a consultant, who understands and knows my needs. And that the meds are working, the fact that I can start living a little bit better, I can eat without feeling dreadful, and my symptoms have eased.
Thanks to reading about my about my plight, but no I am not, it was an easy misdiagnosis and an easy mistake to make, I showed all the symptoms of diabetes, and I believe in all honestly my GPs and after talking to my third named GP in 5 years it was not easy to diagnose within the surgery, it wasn't until my glucose tests and my stay in hospital with my records from my food diary, that gave the clue to my condition.
The science is interesting, that when you read about Insulin, that glucagon and alpha cells are not mentioned, yet these are so important in treatment!
Many thanks, how are you getting on?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
lf you dont log in and update us we find and force feed you carbs till you promise too....seriously glad the problem known and your story may well help others who turn up and you spot similar problems

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lf you dont log in and update us we find and force feed you carbs till you promise too....seriously glad the problem known and your story may well help others who turn up and you spot similar problems
I have posted on other threads,
However, the first month is up and I have been and seen my consultant last Thursday and is happy with the way things are going! The meds have been very kind to me. I am still following a very low carb diet and I am testing, testing, testing. He wants me to experiment on medium carbs, but I am very reticent, after what the hypos did to me, I am in a much better place now and I don't want the mental symptoms that come with hypos and the yo - yo effect of carbs and sugars on my endocrine system.
Slow and easy are what I believe is the best for me! I have got used to eating low or no carbs with my meals. I have now been able to reduce the number of meals and snacks that the meds have helped me do, my fasting bloods in the morning have slightly risen, because I believe my sleep is a lot better and my getting a good nights sleep is giving me a better day. My eyes are returning to normal, the blurriness of the yo - yo effect has let me enjoy the World Cup. I am getting more confident!

The discoveries have surprised me, and certain things have to be eliminated and other things can be included, I had a slice of pizza (no crust! Thin base!)Friday night and my BSLs only went up 0.9 after 2 hours, whilst low GI bread toasted with jam went up by 3.2. So no more jam.
My shopping has changed and I am trying to find food that I can eat, I have reduced my fruit intake and increased my veg intake, I never thought that I would be ever eating spinach, in a baby leaf salad. I'm not missing the chips, (liar!) but my omelette making is second to none (liar!). Going to a presentation today for my grandson and I'm the one standing next to the barbecue!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
As a fellow merseysider you know nothing comes easy, we are not privileged enough to get star treatment, we cannot just go out and get the best treatment. In fact we do better than most areas, maybe we won't put up with it, so we have to fight through all the barriers in front of us. And finally even though the tide is against you, life has a way of muddling through until someone understands your problems. I take life as it comes, had nowt to start with, got myself a reasonably good education, especially from my background, passed 11+, went to a posh grammar school and all that involved! had a decent job, brought up my family through the dark days of Thatcherism and blairism and now these Tories, is it surprising that you have to fight your corner. I am used to being frustrated, it is a norm!
The success is finding a consultant, who understands and knows my needs. And that the meds are working, the fact that I can start living a little bit better, I can eat without feeling dreadful, and my symptoms have eased.
Thanks to reading about my about my plight, but no I am not, it was an easy misdiagnosis and an easy mistake to make, I showed all the symptoms of diabetes, and I believe in all honestly my GPs and after talking to my third named GP in 5 years it was not easy to diagnose within the surgery, it wasn't until my glucose tests and my stay in hospital with my records from my food diary, that gave the clue to my condition.
The science is interesting, that when you read about Insulin, that glucagon and alpha cells are not mentioned, yet these are so important in treatment!
Many thanks, how are you getting on?
Hi, nosher8355, yes the merseyside humour is there, and yes signs and symtoms can be very confusing and as you say the tests give more information, hope you were in a hospital that did a good job with you. Upto now I am still on outpatients appointments,, and not been in hospital with T2 yet, but when i was in with my gallbladder problems in 2011, they kept sticking pins in and going blood sugar instead they should have done the Hb1 thingy test, seems they don't like doing it when you are an inpatient??. Now on the new Victoza injectable and blood sugars down, but it surposed to help with weight loss, but my weight is up & down and it needs to be going down, down, as need knee replacements doing soon-ish, review in november with ortho-pods to see what weightloss I have achieved, oops!!.Well feel as though I have
bben flatten by a truck, rather tired and my eyes keep shutting, so time for bed, and ttfn

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Actually it was NorTel I think, not CableTel
Hello Semiphonic, I have just read your post about your progress from Jan this year, your results are really amazing for 2 months into your treatment plan, who did you manage to achieve these early lower outcomes. It seems puzzleing for just being on metformin 4 x 500, what is the LCFH diet, I have not heard of htis diet, i am just getting my blood sugar on my 4 x 500 metformin, 4 x 80 gliclazide, 1 of victoza at 1.2ml x 1 daily, swallow enough and i will rattle, now stabbing little holes in my legs, will they start to spring leaks???, well ttfn

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, nosher8355, yes the merseyside humour is there, and yes signs and symtoms can be very confusing and as you say the tests give more information, hope you were in a hospital that did a good job with you. Upto now I am still on outpatients appointments,, and not been in hospital with T2 yet, but when i was in with my gallbladder problems in 2011, they kept sticking pins in and going blood sugar instead they should have done the Hb1 thingy test, seems they don't like doing it when you are an inpatient??. Now on the new Victoza injectable and blood sugars down, but it surposed to help with weight loss, but my weight is up & down and it needs to be going down, down, as need knee replacements doing soon-ish, review in november with ortho-pods to see what weightloss I have achieved, oops!!.Well feel as though I have
bben flatten by a truck, rather tired and my eyes keep shutting, so time for bed, and ttfn
Yes, Arrowe Park looked after me, wouldn't recommend the stay though, I am an outpatient, literally once every three weeks, it's good to be a guinea pig!, I cannot do more exercise because I have a knee that hurts like hell if I do too much bouncing and running on it, I walk the dog twice a day for an hour, other than watching footie I keep myself busy, keep up with the low carb diet, you only have to look at the success stories that people who have been in a worse state than you can get themselves fitter, better and healthier! I have downsized my plate size and reduced my intake, just be patient you will adjust, the Hb1 thingy is to get an average of your BSLs. The testing before and 2 hours after are the most important. Hope that the new meds work for you. Mine have. It's up to you to keep on track!
I have started sleeping like a baby again! Getting a decent night nearly every night. Tiredness and fatigue, frustration is part and parcel of diabetes. Hang in there, let us know how things are doing!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Semiphonic, I have just read your post about your progress from Jan this year, your results are really amazing for 2 months into your treatment plan, who did you manage to achieve these early lower outcomes. It seems puzzleing for just being on metformin 4 x 500, what is the LCFH diet, I have not heard of htis diet, i am just getting my blood sugar on my 4 x 500 metformin, 4 x 80 gliclazide, 1 of victoza at 1.2ml x 1 daily, swallow enough and i will rattle, now stabbing little holes in my legs, will they start to spring leaks???, well ttfn
There are numerous threads and recipes all over this forum, you just read them and decide if you can follow one, more or less, it's not eating, spuds, bread, rice, pastry, pasta etc. you take all the medium and high carbs and replace them with other foods that don't raise your BSLs. The likes of meat & protein have no effect on your BSLs. You can eat cheese and other dairy products that are good for you, I can' t do it but hopefully somebody will put a tag in for you to read or start a new thread to ask. Most of the diabetics on this site are following a personal diet based on what we can eat! Good look mate!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi Scouser, LCHF is Low Carb High Fat , I've greatly reduced my carb intake and this is working really well for me. As Nosher said there's a lot of threads on the subject of diet, key to the success of any diet though is testing your blood glucose regularly, once you know what foods have little effect on your BG it becomes quite easy to have good control, and that may stop your leaky legs :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Update. Part 3ish!
Was again on an appointment with my consultant. Was told straightaway that the staff nurse who does my tests, glucose, fasting et al was trying to get in touch with me to do my next test. sorted it out later, but told that the doc was ok with just seeing me best BP result 110/70 and also lost another half a stone since last visit. Ya hay!
Walks into see doc. He says how well I'm looking and have I been away? No!
Did mention the SAD thing. Didn't work!
He is really happy with my control. The way I have stuck with the tablets and how what effect they are having.
We talked about what I was eating and the Swedish advice about LCHF amongst other things especially for diabetics. His answer was that because of the broad spectrum of different symptoms. The control is more important than the basic diet or ignoring certain foodstuffs. He mentioned that some diabetics need complex carbs and some just needed very low carbs. A balanced control of how much and what was on the plate to reduce BSLs was the crucial factor. Some needed essential carbs. He did stress that what worked for some didn't work for others and size and weight were small factors in how to control your BSLs. Exercise and lifestyle to rid the visceral fat was important. Liver function and fatty livers influence the cause and the treatment. Meds are vital to some.
That's all I can remember.
Then went up to the ward to see about the next test and the Sister who couldn't believe the change in me and how well I looked. Bragged about the lost weight! She bragged about Everton signing Lukaku! I asked about the confusion and she looked in my file notes and my number was hiding in the box saying phone number. She had tried my BT number. There is no way I would answer that. It's away from my chair!!!!!!!
Three weeks till my next test and if that is ok, I don't have to see the consultant till after Christmas ish
Whooppeeeeeee!

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just had a tandoori half chicken & salad as a celebration for my results today. Had one pompadum with onions and mango chutney. It was from our local Indian and was absolutely gorgeous!
It was worth it all that low carbing and hopefully bloods won't be too bad!!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's great news mate, well done you must be chuffed. Hope your next test goes just as well.

I would suspect your tandoori chicken, salad, popadom & onions barely touched your bloods, the mango chutney on the other hand.......