1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

According to my consultant.

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Lamont D, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Greeny79

Greeny79 Prediabetes · Active Member

Hi Nosher just read your thread and I'm pretty sure I am suffering with what you have but I am being fobbed off by the docs and its ruining my life, my brain feel knackered and my mood is terrible not to mention the faint/dizzy spells and obscene sweating, could you take a look at the thread I started yesterday if you have a spare 5 minutes

Really glad to hear you are doing well mate, gives me a bit of hope at least.

2. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Everything never touched the sides and I was in dreamland before thee go had a chance to ruin a good day.
    Had some other good news yesterday as well. So I went to bed smiling instead of Mr grumpy! cheers mate.
    Have fell off that boat yet? You know the one with that pint of lager on it!
    Lucky bar steward!

3. semiphonic

semiphonic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I love good news days :)

Couple of things mate, that wasn't lager it was strongbow, and that's not a boat it's the sun terrace of the local Harvester pub :) It does overlook the harbour though

I really want a boat but the wife won't let me

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lamont D

Life's a ****** ain't it?

5. Lilliepop

Lilliepop · Well-Known Member

Hi. That's great! Can you tell me what and if you had any symptoms? I think I'm intolerant to carbs I feel fine until I eat anything with sugar or flour then I get so tired. Not normal tired but I could drop of anywhere. I have been told this week that I'm no longer prediabetic over the moon but I also have to keep to the LCHF diet. My doctor doesent sound as throe as yours. Would like to know how you are getting on now and again too.

6. Lamont D

Hi lilliepop,
    My symptoms were as follows,
    Anxiety, anger, rage, tremors, nervousness, sweating and feeling warm, hunger, mooching, headache, neuralgia, depression, tearful, fatigue, apathy, lethargy, confusion, amnesia, light headedness , blurred vision, sleep disruption, night terrors and sweats, vertigo and frequent urination. Not at the same time thank whoever!
    Thank you it could be worse
    All my symptoms have eased and most have gone completely. It's only the start! Looking good though!

• Like Like x 2
  7. semiphonic

It sure is mate, she argues with stuff like "we can't afford it" and "we've got nowhere to keep it" and "I get seasick"
    I keep telling her, don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.
    But I'm still boatless

8. Lamont D

3 answers - credit, marina, pills. No probs!
    My pleasure cruise is 'Ferry cross the Mersey'. Ha!

9. Scouser58

Scouser58 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

nosher8355 and semiphonic, keep up the good banter, I really enjoy it
    Your weight loss and positive attitude is right on target, hope mine catches up soon,
    Yes I do miss the ferry cross the mersey, and now there is only one boat left, when I was a kid there were 3 and the best one went to new brighton on a sunny sunday. The next best went to wallasey, and the park, again on a sunday.

Well posters, will catch up again, brain mush is happening, ttfn

• Like Like x 2
    #69 Scouser58, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  10. Lamont D

I loved the New Brighton ferry. The short ferry ride to the city was 2 minutes from our house. It was the only way to getting across if you had no car. We were looking at how the ferry buildings and surrounding areas looked before WW2. Pretty nostalgic. Grew up on the river. Miss it!

11. semiphonic

No idea what you two are talking about, but I did work on the Wirral for a while. So I probably could say something like "Eh la" and sound convincing......

12. Nicola_F

Nicola_F Friend · Active Member

This explains so much for me and is just about a complete mirror of my circumstances, recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, the only difference being is that as of yet it hadn't been fully explained, as I'm still waiting for an appointment with a dietician and wont get to see my consultant till November, but it does explain why my blood sugars bounce around all over the place

13. semiphonic

The general consensus of opinion is that the vast majority if dieticians give the wrong information (the NHS 'healthy plate'), I probably should let @nosher8355 comment further on this as I'm not Reactive Hypoglycemic.
    Good news that you've now got a better understanding of your condition though :)

14. Nicola_F

To be fair the dietician probably has their work cut out, as I burn off food very quickly and as a result, I really can't afford to loose any weight, as I've been struggling to keep my weight above eight and half stones for the last two decades and I eat about five full meals aday, though have cut back on the snacks

15. Lamont D

You really have to search the net for the info. It took me a while. If you want to stop bouncing or yo-yoing then you have to do without the carbs.
    The number of meals is recommended at around 6 plus a snack or two. Just to keep you in the right level for your BSLs. You not having a weight issue is a plus. So find snacks that won't spike you. Best advice I can give is find something to eat very low carb that can slowly raise your BSLs slowly so that you don't go hyper then hypo. Are you having loads of symptoms?

16. Lamont D

Diye mean, yu don't speak da lingo? Like wot I do!
    Suppose you talk imitation cockney?

17. Nicola_F

the weight issue is the fact that I can't put any on and am technically under weight, can't remember what my recent BMI was, put will check, as for symptoms, barely a day goers by when I don't have a hypo, blood usually drops to 2.8 or below, sometimes the hypo's can be two or three in day, suggesting diet, though there's also a lot of stress as I'm a full time carer, so don't know if that equates into it

18. Lamont D

If you are having more than one hypo in a day this suggests that what you are using to relive the hypo, makes you hyper then hypo. You need to balance your BSLs to a level and stay within that level. My normal BSLs are between 4 & 6. It may go to a 7 after eating. But as long as you keep topping up with protein and veg and fruit that won't spike you. Then you don't need the carbs. You will get enough from the fruit and especially the veg.
    You will be tested again. For other things. Are you on meds for diabetes?

19. Lamont D

Thanks! But this is the beginning and (fingers and everything else crossed) that the medication can be as positive as it has been in the last few weeks.
    I have openly discussed many topics with my consultant and he couldn't be more understanding and open minded. It was his idea to leave the carbs and sugars alone till he had a definite diagnosis! I am indeed fortunate! If it was left to my doctor.............

20. semiphonic

Not particularly mate but last night I went up the apples to speak to the trouble about going out for a ruby. She took a butchers at her kettle and said "it's a bit late have we got lager and lime?" I said yes and got on the dog to book an aunt mabel. We had our ruby and would you Adam and Eve it, the tea leaves tried to overcharge me! I told them I had my ruby with jockeys and it came to an Ayrton!
    Nuff said.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook