Advice needed for my Dad TYPE 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi There, I am a newbie here.
I do not have Diabetes but my Dad is a Type 1 Diabetes sufferer.

I am trying to help him keep control of his Diabetes, as he is in a vulnerable situation and he has some worrying symptoms.
(Please read my profile on my Dads situation)

Glucose testing, how do I find out what the average reading is? and what can I do or what can I tell my Dad to do to change the readings to get them normal?

Thank you for any help you can give I really appreciate it

Hollie :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hey you! I find that one reply often triggers more. I hope some Type 1 folks will advise on whatever can be done to minimise the risk of complications. In my opinion, the only way to establish an average is a] by HbA1c test or b] by testing regularly at key times on a meter and checking the recorded average on the meter (but that doesn't record the whole day). Can I urge people to help Hollie if possible, please - you guys have helped me a great deal already. She needs advice from Type 1s on how to contain things or minimize damage. Good luck, pal.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've just read your other posts and while I can't help (I'm T2) I just want to wish you all the best and hope you get some help in assisting your father. x

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey you! I find that one reply often triggers more. I hope some Type 1 folks will advise on whatever can be done to minimise the risk of complications. In my opinion, the only way to establish an average is a] by HbA1c test or b] by testing regularly at key times on a meter and checking the recorded average on the meter (but that doesn't record the whole day). Can I urge people to help Hollie if possible, please - you guys have helped me a great deal already. She needs advice from Type 1s on how to contain things or minimize damage. Good luck, pal.

Thank you once again for all your help. x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just read your other posts and while I can't help (I'm T2) I just want to wish you all the best and hope you get some help in assisting your father. x

Thank you so much Chook, I really appreciate it.
He is very weak today and they have locked him in without access to water, and he is so hot and cannot cool down with the temperature.
I don't know if he has anything to hand to help himself, I really don't know what to suggest.

I have contacted the FCO and hopefully they can get in to see him tomorrow, just need to stay positive.

Someone has been contaminating his drinking water with his insulin, and I think this may have set his symptoms worse.
He has been struggling for the best part of 4 years but never this bad.
Does anyone know of any Diabetes crisis lines that might be able to guide me on what to do??

Thank you Hollie x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can see that your Dad won't easily have access to an Hba1C blood test but at least he appears to have access to two insulin types (good). You can only hope that he is using these insulins in the right way bearing in mind the circumstances. The Levemir he should be taking once or twice a day and as far as possible try to get the first thing in the morning reading between 5-7 mmol (these are UK units of measure). The other insulin should be for meal-time use and he should be having enough at each meal to keep his blood as far as possible below 8.5 mmol 2 hours after the meal but not too much insulin so that he goes hypo. You don't indicate whether your Dad has a good understanding of insulin use and whether he receives any medical help at all.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can see that your Dad won't easily have access to an Hba1C blood test but at least he appears to have access to two insulin types (good). You can only hope that he is using these insulins in the right way bearing in mind the circumstances. The Levemir he should be taking once or twice a day and as far as possible try to get the first thing in the morning reading between 5-7 mmol (these are UK units of measure). The other insulin should be for meal-time use and he should be having enough at each meal to keep his blood as far as possible below 8.5 mmol 2 hours after the meal but not too much insulin so that he goes hypo. You don't indicate whether your Dad has a good understanding of insulin use and whether he receives any medical help at all.

Hi Diabell

Yes he has always maintained his Diabetes himself, but as he has got older his memory and mental state has declined, so he needs alot of prompting and encouragement. I dont think he has seen anyone from the Professional world of Diabetes for many years, I have his medical records from the UK, and it looks as though he missed many appointments due to his poor memory health.
I was unaware of the seriousness of his condition growing up as my Mother looked after him, but she has since divorced him whilst he has been there and I am completely out of touch.
I am trying to learn as much as I can, but I am honestly overwhelmed!!

There is a Doctor in the prison, but their medical training is to be questioned!!?? They have once told him that he should stop all insulin immediately!! wall you know what we did with that medical advice! I have been stressing the issue with the FCO and they will only help if we have money! We are not a rich family and can just about pay for Dads food and water, a Charity has been paying for his Insulin since 2013 which has been a god send!

Thanks Hollie x

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
The thing with Type 1 Diabetes is that we are not all the same. It is a case of each to their own. I have had Type 1 for 48 years I was diagnosed at 6. I am healthy my BM's are normally at about the 7mml mark. That is fine for me. I work full time, walk 3 miles daily. A single parent to a 14 year old (Kevin & Perry) young man. So I have my work cut out. You should seek advice from your Doctors surgery or Hospital. Excercise such as walking can drop your sugar levels you must make your Dad aware of things he does might need a decrease or increase of insulin. Also DAFNE is brilliant. I have always counted my Carb intake. Since I changed to 4 injections Dosage Adjustment For Nomal Eating if great. That means I can have a few more carbs if I adjust the dosage of my insulin. There is help out there.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing with Type 1 Diabetes is that we are not all the same. It is a case of each to their own. I have had Type 1 for 48 years I was diagnosed at 6. I am healthy my BM's are normally at about the 7mml mark. That is fine for me. I work full time, walk 3 miles daily. A single parent to a 14 year old (Kevin & Perry) young man. So I have my work cut out. You should seek advice from your Doctors surgery or Hospital. Excercise such as walking can drop your sugar levels you must make your Dad aware of things he does might need a decrease or increase of insulin. Also DAFNE is brilliant. I have always counted my Carb intake. Since I changed to 4 injections Dosage Adjustment For Nomal Eating if great. That means I can have a few more carbs if I adjust the dosage of my insulin. There is help out there.

Hi Cathn61may, thank you for your response to this thread, we really appreciate all the help we can get on this.
At the minute I think all he can do is take it easy, maybe brisk walk if that, I have had some advice today regarding Dads health and the readings we have for him, hopefully we will know more tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help, I will keep the whole thread updated on progress.
Hollie and Family

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am trying to help him keep control of his Diabetes, as he is in a vulnerable situation and he has some worrying symptoms.

Glucose testing, how do I find out what the average reading is? and what can I do or what can I tell my Dad to do to change the readings to get them normal?

UPDATE **
Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts everyone that responded to this today, you have all provided lots of much needed guidance and support, everything that you have all done today has played a massive part in me, helping my Father and getting me through today with your guidance in the right direction of what I need to do next and to the right source of support.
We shall keep you updated on progress here tomorrow, there is not anything more that can be done this evening so we will just have to wait it out until tomorrow and I am sure all what we have done today will have paid off and we get some positive results :)
Thank you x We are so grateful.

Hollie Chris and my Dad Jack

Reactions: 5 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hollie, I really hope this question doesn't offend you, it's just so we are totally clear given the circumstances? Is dad definitely Type 1, as in having been on insulin for most of his life, he's not type 2 who has been on it for some years? Sorry if it seems a flippant thing to ask but I'm just thinking of the ramifications of withholding insulin for a type 1 :(
Hopefully you will be able to get the support you need, please keep us updated x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hollie, I really hope this question doesn't offend you, it's just so we are totally clear given the circumstances? Is dad definitely Type 1, as in having been on insulin for most of his life, he's not type 2 who has been on it for some years? Sorry if it seems a flippant thing to ask but I'm just thinking of the ramifications of withholding insulin for a type 1 :(
Hopefully you will be able to get the support you need, please keep us updated x

Hi LadyBird64
Yes he is a Type 1, he has accessed a new pen this morning, but his glucose reading was in the 30+ region
I don't feel just a stick of insulin and a glucose test is going to fix him, he needs hospital, the FCO are not taking me serious at all!

Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate all the support here from everyone.

I am so frustrated and out of my mind with worry here! :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
His level was 33.0 this morning he cannot access the device now, the time there now is 21:09 and he cannot get out of his cell..

Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dad is in a bad way, His level was 33.0 this morning, it is evening time now so he cannot get out of his cell.
He was given a new pen this morning, hopefully he gets some insulin into his body from that.
He is feeling, weak, tired, complete exhaustion, very hot, cannot eat - no appetite, feels sick, rash formed on his skin itchy and irritating.

Q - Whilst he is suffering in this way, what advice could I give him so he can help himself?
He has no access to another glucose test until 10:00 am Indonesian time.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Hollie x

So sorry for your father, I feel that the most important point is to get him to someone who will 1) understand what is happening, 2) why it is happening and 3) get a professional to help him organise, get his testing going properly, make sure he is eating sensible food and then find someone to act as a mentor for him for a while.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
So sorry for your father, I feel that the most important point is to get him to someone who will 1) understand what is happening, 2) why it is happening and 3) get a professional to help him organise, get his testing going properly, make sure he is eating sensible food and then find someone to act as a mentor for him for a while.

Hi Carroll, there is nothing that can be done tonight now, except keep pressuring the UK Govt to intervene and make sure he gets the right care.
We also need to get them to go with him and act in the best interests of his health.
Hopefully we may get somewhere by the time Dad wakes up tomorrow.

Thank you for your support, it really means alot.
Hollie

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not sure what else can be done to be honest Hollie, not if he is in those kind of surroundings - it is worrying for you. How are you managing to get up to date info on his bg's etc, is the info being relayed onto you by someone? I guess it must be otherwise you wouldn't know, is there anything that person could do to help?