Advice on statins

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have had a problem with tendon in ankle for about 2 months.going to physio to help it get better.could the atorvastatin I take made the problem worse

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Unlikely.. Pain from statins us normally felt in areas such as hips, upper legs, shoulder muscles etc....

Reactions: 2 people

rekeenon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being asked "Whats for dinner"
Statins cause pain everywhere IMHO. I would say no to statins and start reading some information on the dangers of being on statins, the drug companies just want to make money while you get brain fog, eye problems and the FDA FOOD AND DRUG ADMIN HERE IN THE US just stated that statins could cause type 2 Please please read about them and don't just follow Doctors who admit they don't have time to read all the new findings about statin drugs

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I wouldn't blame Statins too quickly.
If it is Plantar Fasciitis it is very common it seems to occur most between the ages of 40-60, In my case it developed when I was about 47 and it caused me a lot of pain (especially in the morning) so I did a lot of reading up on it.

It is usually classed as a self-limiting condition and usually will eventually go away without any intervention and in my case indeed it did after several painful months.
Shoe inserts to prevent your ankle joints rolling the wrong way when you walk might help (although they didn't in my case), choose shoes with good arch support, don't wear shoes with worn heels and loosing weight also helps.

Max Kennedy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why all the denial about statins aggravating plantar fasciitis? It is well known that statins can cause problems with tendons (e.g. achilles) and even the mechanism. And the plantar fascia is made of similar fibers. I developed PF while taking rosuvastatin, and it went away after many weeks when I stopped taking rosuvastatin.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why all the denial about statins aggravating plantar fasciitis? It is well known that statins can cause problems with tendons (e.g. achilles) and even the mechanism. And the plantar fascia is made of similar fibers. I developed PF while taking rosuvastatin, and it went away after many weeks when I stopped taking rosuvastatin.
Hi Max,

You're replying to a thread from 2015, so it could be a bit out-dated. For what it's worth, statins caused pain and inflammation everywhere for me, so I went off them right-quick myself. ;)
Welcome to the forum!
Jo

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For 4 years i could not lift my heels off the floor, walking was very painful and difficult. I'd always put it down to Peripheral artery disease. When i stopped taking Statins, my achilles tendons recovered very quickly, within 4 days i could literally spring up off the floor from a standing position. It was a long time after that someone on here revealed to me that it was a known side effect of Statins. At which point the penny dropped.

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier