Always hungry

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I seem to be hungry all the time. Yesterday i had a large roast dinner, dessert and a large piece of cheesecake and i was stll hungry. Had a big bowel of shreddies this morning and less than 1/2hr later im starving again. I hate feeling hungry all time!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah99. What you're eating is probably not the best diabetic diet? Are you Type 1 or 2? If Type 2 and hence probably not on insulin you need to watch the carbs both to keep your BS down but also to avoid a carbohydrate hit which often makes people want to eat even more shortly afterwards. If I ever have cheesecake it will be a very small piece due to the sugar content; also have you looked at the sugar in Shreddies? I would try to keep more towards proteins, veg, high fibre carbs such as lentils etc and some fruit. Fat particularly unsaturated is also quite good for your BS. Over the years I've become used to eating less than I did before diagnosis so keep at it!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
+1 Daibell

More fat, less carbs. Carbs spike your BG and your insulin (naturally if you are still producing, or artifically if you are injecting), give you a quick sugar rush and then leave you feeling hungry for more.

Much as I love the old Shreddies, I'd never eat them post diagnosis.

If you are going to eat carbs, try and choose Low GI ones, which will at least give you a slow burn.

According to Taubes et al, if you really get the low-carb thing going, you can eat as much as you like and you won't get fat. (This is my experience too - nearly 4 stone weight loss, and I'm hardly ever hungry).

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Im type 2 on insulin. Ive looked at low carbing and what people eat and thats not for me. Ive only been feeling this way for a few days.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi

I'm not an insulin user but I do remember when I used to eat too large a meal or something with too much starchy carbs e.g nachos I sometime still used to feel so hungry afterwards. I'm not advocating low carbing here as I'm still new to Diabetes so still experimenting.

I thought the continous post meal hunger was when the body produced even more insulin to cope with the larger glucose spike but in T2s because something causes insulin resistence, therefore there's extra insulin in the body needing to be used up.

You say you had large roast dinner, dessert and a large piece of cheesecake

This is rather a large portion of food in one go but I take it you're mentioning it to illustrate your hunger pangs. Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes the hunger kicks in but really it's because you've not had enough water.

To be honest, think you're best to seek professional advice from your local medical folks esp as you're on insulin.

pianoman

Apologies for the video's title but this may help to explain how a person can be hungry despite having just eaten... it makes sense to me

Fallenstar

Thats a good little video Piano man :D

I find if I eat high ,fast release carbs then I get the BG spike and that spike starts the cravings.If my sugars are low,I'm starving if they are really high I'm starving and craving more carbs if it is those that raised them.

It is like the runaway Green house effect....but high carbs with me = the runaway carb crave effect ,which makes for me being constantly hungry.It is the BG spikes that do it...and shreddies and cheesecake would certainly start this metabolic action within me.

But I get your point that it is a recent thing...so maybe it could be to do with other hormones,or a low grade cold virus can make you crave eat more :?: Lots of reasons I suppose.

hope you get back to normal soon

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
The cheesecake wasnt straight away maybe an hour after ny lunch. I only drink tea. I dont always feel like this, just now and again, it will last around a week or so.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah,

Google the Glycemic Index or buy a good book from your local bookstore, once you have read up on this subject you will begin to understand why you sometimes feel hungry after eating and hopefully put this right for good.

Nigel

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I do appreciate all help im given i have looked at this site and most of the food on the low gi, i dont like. Im not a picky eater but when i have read on here what some people are eating on a regular basis, just turns my stomach.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Im sorry too i wish i was able to change what i eat. Some examples of what i eat breakfast is usually shreddied/cornflakes and sometimes weetabix. Lunch is a sandwich/couple of rolls/biscuits tea this week so far pasta, fish fingers, chips and baked beans, Mc Donalds and 2moro is chicken and gravy pie, brocoli, mashed potato and carrots.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a lot of carbs Sarah - maybe you could try exchanging some of your favourites for lower GI - I know you said you don't think you could eat low GI but how about swapping your mashed pots for boiled in their skin and maybe just having the chicken pie minus the pastry or just a pastry top - having a burger without the bun or if you need to have the bun no chips. with your fish fingers and chips try having a smaller portion of chips and a veg instead of the baked beans. skip the biscuits.

Maybe after a while you won't notice these changes and can introduce more - you can still have most of your favourite foods but maybe reduce your portions and only have them occasionally.

Don't really know what else to say to you really hun as probably everyone who has diabaetes has had to change the way they eat in some way - believe me I hated it to start with - I lived on pasta and rice but did get used to not having it or reducing my portion size - it takes time and if done in small chunks is very do-able - but small steps are better than trying to do it all at once -

Good luck in finding something that works for you :)

Reactions: 2 people