Am I fighting too hard at a losing battle?

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
My recent HbA1c test was 35, down from 88 in November 16, my doctor said my blood sugar control was exceptional. I was hoping that my dose of 1000mg of Metformin would be reduced but apparently this won't happen and I'm wondering why? I was on the crest of a wave when I got my result and then I discover the below article and start to wonder if all the effort is worth it, not so confident anymore!

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...-diabetes-erases-15-years-from-your-life.aspx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My recent HbA1c test was 35, down from 88 in November 16, my doctor said my blood sugar control was exceptional. I was hoping that my dose of 1000mg of Metformin would be reduced but apparently this won't happen and I'm wondering why? I was on the crest of a wave when I got my result and then I discover the below article and start to wonder if all the effort is worth it, not so confident anymore!

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...-diabetes-erases-15-years-from-your-life.aspx

That was a brilliant reduction in your HbA1c. Well done. :)

That article relates to diabetics with high blood sugars, possibly undiagnosed, and most likely uncontrolled. You no longer fall in that bracket. You no longer have high blood sugars. You are fully controlled. There is no reason to believe you will die 15 years before your time if you manage to keep this excellent control.

As for the Metformin, did you discuss with your doctor about coming off it, or reducing the dose? If so, what did he say?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dr Mercola clearly pointed out more than a decade ago...
This is especially tragic because the vast majority could relatively easily control the disease the rest of their lives and have completely normal blood sugars without any medications, as this is one of the easiest chronic diseases to normalize.

And you have just shown how easily you have managed to normalize yours...

Reactions: Ponchu

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just got mine down to 39 and have decided to keep up with the metformin. It has other health benefits and tbh doesn't really do much for t2d.

May I ask why you want to stop?

Reactions: zand

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just got mine down to 39 and have decided to keep up with the metformin. It has other health benefits and tbh doesn't really do much for t2d.

May I ask why you want to stop?
I agree, my HbA1c is down to 36, I’m keeping on the Metformin as I’m tolerating it well and as you say it has other benefits.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Am I fighting too hard at a losing battle?
Soon as you start thinking like that yes.

Reactions: sugarshy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have lowered my bg and hope to lower it further - my goal is non diabetic numbers. The Metformin gives other benefits so I am happy, for now, to keep taking it maybe at a lower dose in the future.

Fantastic job btw, well done.

Reactions: sugarshy

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The choice is yours. No-one can make you keep on taking the Metformin if you really want to come off it. Clearly it is better if you inform your HCP of your decision and ensure that you are properly monitored during the process, but remember that the decision is yours after you have had the probable effects explained to you. If your GP wants you to stay on medication he should be able to explain what benefit he expects it to give. A gradual reduction in dose, similar to the gradual increase in dose that generally follows diagnosis, with carefully monitored bg could be tried to see if the improved bg is due to your control through diet and exercise or through the effects of the drug. Some people believe that there are benefits to keep taking the drug, others would rather live with minimal drugs, it is a matter of making an informed decision.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Without access to a fasting insulin test (The NHS does not like doing them), it is hard to tell what benefits Metformin is giving you. To really find out you need to
  • Do a fasting insulin test
  • Stop metformin
  • Be ready to restart metformin if your BG meter shows you are getting problems.
  • Weight 3 months
  • Repeat the fasting insulin test
The main benefit of Metformin is that it lets most people with issues with insulin resistance control their BG with their body producing a lower level of insulin. It's the high level of insulin that does us in just as much as high BG.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Keep it simple.
If you're a member of this site you probably know more about diabetes than anyone in the NHS.
Everyone in the NHS has to stick with the NICE guidelines which are out of date wrong and killing people.
Get diagnosed with T2 use your GP's services get fatter sicker and take ever more medication.
No thank you.

Reactions: Ponchu and sugarshy

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
That was a brilliant reduction in your HbA1c. Well done. :)

That article relates to diabetics with high blood sugars, possibly undiagnosed, and most likely uncontrolled. You no longer fall in that bracket. You no longer have high blood sugars. You are fully controlled. There is no reason to believe you will die 15 years before your time if you manage to keep this excellent control.

As for the Metformin, did you discuss with your doctor about coming off it, or reducing the dose? If so, what did he say?

Thanks very much for your reply, feeling a bit more positive now :). I was given my results over the phone. I did ask about dropping my dose but was told that if I didn't hear back from the practice then to carry on taking the pills, I didn't here from them. The reason I am worried about Metformin is the info I've read about the risk of lactic Acidosis (I do have an alcohol habit), also Vitamin B12 deficiency and its consequences, apparently taking B12 pills makes little difference? Since changing diet and lifestyle my BS count as I mentioned has gone down, and also my weight from 18.5 stone to 15.5, this is good but cholesterol is up to 4.9.

I would like to thank everyone that has commented and given advice and apologise if I don't answer, I'm just about to go away for a couple of days and struggle with using the forum on my mobile (and on my PC), I'm a bit of a technophobe, for a long time I thought a mouse mat was something you bought from a pet shop....

Reactions: Bluetit1802

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks very much for your reply, feeling a bit more positive now :). I was given my results over the phone. I did ask about dropping my dose but was told that if I didn't hear back from the practice then to carry on taking the pills, I didn't here from them. The reason I am worried about Metformin is the info I've read about the risk of lactic Acidosis (I do have an alcohol habit), also Vitamin B12 deficiency and its consequences, apparently taking B12 pills makes little difference? Since changing diet and lifestyle my BS count as I mentioned has gone down, and also my weight from 18.5 stone to 15.5, this is good but cholesterol is up to 4.9.

I would like to thank everyone that has commented and given advice and apologise if I don't answer, I'm just about to go away for a couple of days and struggle with using the forum on my mobile (and on my PC), I'm a bit of a technophobe, for a long time I thought a mouse mat was something you bought from a pet shop....
Hi, I could be wrong but I`m pretty sure that lactic acidosis is a pretty rare condition, from memory about 1 in 20,000, so I wouldn`t be too concerned personally. I think you have done brilliantly well so far and should keep on doing what you`re doing.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Perhaps when you return from your break you could make an appointment to discuss your medication with your GP if you are still want to reduce it.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep it simple.
If you're a member of this site you probably know more about diabetes than anyone in the NHS.
Everyone in the NHS has to stick with the NICE guidelines which are out of date wrong and killing people.
Get diagnosed with T2 use your GP's services get fatter sicker and take ever more medication.
No thank you.
Killing people?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Those are excellent results. Congratulations!
As for Metformin, I've been taking it for nearly 4 years and initially made regular requests to come off it but after doing my own research and discovering its other health benefits, have decided to remain on it. On the rare occasions I've forgotten to take it, my BS have increased by as much as 2 mmol.

When I mentioned B12 deficiency to my GP he was unaware that it could be caused by Metformin so has now included tests for it within my regular blood tests. So far, all my blood tests have come back normal.

From personal experience, I would urge you to take everything you read with a pinch of salt. With one or two exceptions, no-one here is an expert. Consider carefully everything you read and do your own research, adapting your acquired knowledge to your own particular situation. And have a lovely break!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Killing people?

I dont think any one from the nhs is going around and attacking people with huge hammers, but I think I mostly agree with jtl. Although I dont think I am an expert on anything. Cant speak for anyone else.

I was told no need to test, dont worry about it, take metformin and we will be happy if your hba1c stays around 48. Follow the eatwell guide and all will be well.
And of course, for many years all will be well. Most t2ds do not get complications ( severe retinopathy, kidney damage, heart problems etc) until about 10 years after dx. As most of us at the moment are dxd in our 50s it means complications are not appearing until our late 60s.

That means that by the time our kidneys finally pack.up, we are completely blind and have no legs we are about 80, and of course that is just what happens to people that have had t2d for 30 years. And we are old, so nobody really cares.

So we end up dying of complications from t2d, although the certificate will probably not say that.

As I dont want to go blind, lose my feet or kidneys I decided not to follow current nhs advice. I will of course die of something else but I really hope to hang on to my eyesight until the end.

A huge problem.for.the nhs is that people are now being diagnosed in thier 20s. This means that if they follow the standard pattern they will be dropping like flies with no legs in thier 50s.

So, as I said, I really dont think the nhs is intentionally killing anyone, but if you dont want to die of the complications of t2d you should not follow thier advice. Because this advice, if followed, does kill people.

Edit__ put the wrong name in!

Last edited:

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those are excellent results. Congratulations!
As for Metformin, I've been taking it for nearly 4 years and initially made regular requests to come off it but after doing my own research and discovering its other health benefits, have decided to remain on it. On the rare occasions I've forgotten to take it, my BS have increased by as much as 2 mmol.

When I mentioned B12 deficiency to my GP he was unaware that it could be caused by Metformin so has now included tests for it within my regular blood tests. So far, all my blood tests have come back normal.

From personal experience, I would urge you to take everything you read with a pinch of salt. With one or two exceptions, no-one here is an expert. Consider carefully everything you read and do your own research, adapting your acquired knowledge to your own particular situation. And have a lovely break!

Absolutely agree with all.of this. I knew next to nothing about t2d a few weeks ago and what I thought I knew was wrong. Read everything you can find and then decide what is best for you.

Have a great time.