Am I in denial.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Roy Chinese is not so good although Chicken Green Pepper and Black Bean Sauce is one to think about but what to have it with that's always the problem.

Far better is Indian which I have quite often. The xyzzy safe Indian is

A dry curry so a Madras or anything thst isn't sweet. My local does something called a Charger which is Chicken Tikka in a dry but thick curry sauce. If they do Madras right a prawn or chicken madras should be quite close to zero carbs.

Add to that more meat so with my Charger I get an extra Chicken Tikka starter
Onion Bhaji's. The local does the small ones a bit bigger than a golf ball I manage 3.
Mushroom Bhaji or again my local does a Spinach and Garlic Bhaji.
A smidgeon of Pilau rice. I can cope with around a sixth of a tin container thingy others will be better than me. Pick Pilau rice as its fried rice which takes longer to process so spikes your levels less

DO NOT EAT NAAN BREAD. It is the devils food. Even if you aren't diabetic the number of calories in it is astronomical.

That's a decent plate full and it will up my levels by around 2 after 2 hours. Even less if consumed with a G&T... ... someone has told you that one right?

MaryJ

I dont bother with chinese, a chinese beef curry sent me over 10 but indian curry is fne for me

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Oh bliss, so my curry's are ok and my kebabs are fine, you know I just may scratch through, the lights are going on again at the end of the tunnel, Chinese is bit of a bummer but hey small price to pay, Not that I am a takeaway fanatic, but we do like one or the other once a week as a bit of a treat. I have printed off a load of those menu's you pointed me to Xyzzy, that our wonderful members have so generously posted on threads and put on fridge so my Missus gets the Idea. It's very difficult in my house, as I have four young Lads, 17, 14, 11, 7 who burn calories for fun, so as you can imagine the house is full of all the foods that I cannot eat, drives me mad at times especially when they have a habit of bringing me the thing's they new I used to love, they don't understand why Dad has gone anti sugar and sweets. I will convert them though and show them the light.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Does anyone know if Indian Currys are usually made with flour as a thickener? I get very paranoid about "meaty gravys" with restauarant food. (I even had to have a chat with Mrs Borofergie last week when I caught her slipping a few potatoes in the Curry Goat).

A

Anonymous

I had a moment like that last night. This cheese sauce is nice, what's in it? Ah, flour, hmm.. 7.7 after 2hrs and a dent in my nice smooth graph.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Indian cooking does not usually have any thickeners or flour in the sauces - they sometimes use lentils but I stick to chicken tandoori or chicken tikka with spinach, bindi or aubergine bagees. Madhur Jaffrey also has loads of wonderful recipes especially eggs in murghi (cream) sauce.

Roy - when my lot have a chinese takeaway I always order a 1/2 crispy fried duck and eat the whole thing - minus the pancakes. I also have deep fried squid in chilli and salt which has a very light dusting of corn flour which is fine as long as I don't eat anything else carb related! :D

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Ahhh Ha ha we all sound like a convention of paranoid weight watchers, I hope Mrs Borofergie was suitably reprimanded for her discrepancy, and flour sneaked in the cheese source sacrilege, It's enough to make you want to eat a whole packet of chocolate digestives all to one's self.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
swimmer2 said:
I had a moment like that last night. This cheese sauce is nice, what's in it? Ah, flour, hmm.. 7.7 after 2hrs and a dent in my nice smooth graph.

My missus done me a stir fry on Saturday it was a good job I was not hungry, as she had put a load of Noodles in it, I just looked at her and said Love do you listen to anything I say to you, To which she answered well the lads will eat it !! and so departed my tea :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am sitting at my desk salivating so though I would pass on the recipe and might make it tonight. Works great with a bit of spinach!

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2oz - 50g of finely chopped onion
1in - 2.5cm cube of fresh ginger finely grated
1 hot green chilli finely chopped
1/2 pint - 275ml double cream
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garam masala
2 tsp tomato puree (optional – I don’t put it in)
1/4 pint - 150ml chicken stock
6-8 hard boiled eggs peeled and cut in half across their width
fresh chopped coriander to taste (we used loads because we all love it).

Heat a non pan over a medium heat and add the oil, stir fry the onions until the edges are starting to colour about 3 minutes.
Add the chilli and ginger and cook for another minute then add the lemon juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, tomato puree, cream and chicken stock.
Stir and bring to a simmer.
Add the egg halves cut side up and gently spoon the sauce over them, cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Finally add coriander to taste reserving some for garnish.
Sometimes I use chicken or meatballs instead of eggs....

Eat! :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
ir fry on Saturday it was a good job I was not hungry, as she had put a load of Noodles in it, I just looked at her and said Love do you listen to anything I say to you, To which she answered well the lads will eat it !! and so departed my tea :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to get some Miracle Noodles, zero calories, zero carbs, and a great sub for regular pasta or noodles. They're not cheap, and a bit stinky before you wash them, but I love them, because they bought spag-bol back onto the menu in my house...

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Truffle said:
I am sitting at my desk salivating so though I would pass on the recipe and might make it tonight. Works great with a bit of spinach!

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2oz - 50g of finely chopped onion
1in - 2.5cm cube of fresh ginger finely grated
1 hot green chilli finely chopped
1/2 pint - 275ml double cream
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garam masala
2 tsp tomato puree (optional – I don’t put it in)
1/4 pint - 150ml chicken stock
6-8 hard boiled eggs peeled and cut in half across their width
fresh chopped coriander to taste (we used loads because we all love it).

Heat a non pan over a medium heat and add the oil, stir fry the onions until the edges are starting to colour about 3 minutes.
Add the chilli and ginger and cook for another minute then add the lemon juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, tomato puree, cream and chicken stock.
Stir and bring to a simmer.
Add the egg halves cut side up and gently spoon the sauce over them, cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Finally add coriander to taste reserving some for garnish.
Sometimes I use chicken or meatballs instead of eggs....

Eat! :D
Than you Truffle it's winging its way to the Wife as I type so as she can source ingredients, I think it is Cheese burger pie tonight Hey hey, I think yours for Saturday night Dinner. sounds delicious though.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
borofergie said:
RoyG said:
ir fry on Saturday it was a good job I was not hungry, as she had put a load of Noodles in it, I just looked at her and said Love do you listen to anything I say to you, To which she answered well the lads will eat it !! and so departed my tea :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to get some Miracle Noodles, zero calories, zero carbs, and a great sub for regular pasta or noodles. They're not cheap, and a bit stinky before you wash them, but I love them, because they bought spag-bol back onto the menu in my house...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miracle-Noodl ... 318wt_1037

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just ordered some from Amazon.... :D

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Is the a food range out there that is Low Carbohydrate like weight watchers or something, everything in shops is Low fat nothing ever says low Carbs.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well the cheese burger pie was a great success, delicious with a nice bit of coliflower and cheese. But sadly Cinnamon Meringues went a tad pear shaped and they were burnt a bit and a little soggy, me thinks the wife had oven too high. But being one not to waste my only sweet treat I have had in ages, I scoffed em and they were bloody good anyway. Yaba daba dooooooo.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well the sun is shining and the BBQ is all fired up low carb heaven is here, burgers, chicken, sausages, steak, oh yes I see it being lit all weekend, The lads are already queuing up impatiently waiting for my first burnt offerings. a few small glasses of Rioja to help digestion me thinks, and the Wifey has got the meringues right this time Happy day's.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I now have my test meter an Standard Bayer Contour with enough lancets and test strips to last years, but no instructions how to set time or set memory if some body could help me with those, where I can download them or pm them to me I would be greatfull. The mother in law showed me how to take a reading, which I just have and got a reading of 4.4mmol/L is that right?? or am I going hypo? I feel fine !! great in fact.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look here:

http://www.bayerdiabetes.ca/en/users/support/ for the relevant instructions.

Oh, and check the 'use by' date on your strips. Is sounds like some of them may have been around for a while if you have loads of them..................

(I am soooo jealous, my Contour arrived today, but only 25 strips. The strips are expensive!!)

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
it says 2012 02 on tub but she can get more on her prescription as she is type 1, she gave me a Accu-check advantage aswell with loads of strips and lancets but the strip date is 2007 - 2008 will they be no use now then?