An Update . . . . . .

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Having followed LCHF for approx 12 months my recent bloods are amazing - just a normal test not for Big D:
Cholesterol. 3.0 used to be over 6 and struggled to keep it that low while following "recommended" low fat etc diet.
HDL 1.14. LDL 1.28. Trigs 1.28 Non HDL 1.9 Ratio 2.6.. Like I said amazing.

I eat a well balanced diet and am anaemic. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow 18/12 to ascertain any problems with absorption of food. I am not underweight tho' , could do with losing 5kg to be honest.

Most of the year has been spent having tests for heart problems which medicines have failed to address. Despite 2 stents already in place I have now gained a couple of blockages which cannot be addressed by angioplasty and also have an aneurism on one artery as well. A bypass operation is coming up early - I hope - in 2015.

BGs are good, an occasional blip not always sure how and why but that is diabetes is it not?

Diabetes is an awful, awful disease which affects each one of us in different ways although there is a core element running through. It has highlighted a couple of existing health problems for me, problems of which I was unaware. A silver lining ? Thank God for a silver lining. Problems will be addressed, can't beat that.

Stay positive, it helps an awful lot in managing this dreadful disease.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your recent tests. Truly amazing. You must be so pleased. An inspiring update - thank you.

I hope your forthcoming colonoscopy can eliminate anything nasty, and good luck with your bypass.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my by pass over 22 years ago .. So stay strong and look forward to the future :)

Reactions: 2 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg
You must be really pleased you certainly have been working hard.
Goodluck with your up and coming ops.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I hope it all goes well. To help I would try to get rid of those 5Kgs you mention by reducing the carbs a bit?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on those lipid counts.

I hope all goes well with your colonoscopy tomorrow and bypass in the new year.

All the best

Pavlos

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no wonder the Dr is scoping you...you eat fat .... the triglyceride blood fats are low and all the other lipids look good...you must be sick and not absorbing the fat :)

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your colonoscopy @Alanp35. :) hopefully the prep won't be too bad. Hope the results would turn out okay as well...

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ Alanp35 I had a quadruple bypass surgery 12 years ago and can offer a little advice. When the operation is over and you wake up in intensive care connected to the breathing machine, dont forget to breathe with the machine and not against it. I almost thought that the operation had been a big flop until I realised what had happened. Wish you all the best for the operation and a smooth recovery.

Reactions: 5 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've had several colonoscopies. Do not worry at all. It's painless. Just bring lots of underwear some nice soft toilet paper in case of accidents. The laxatives (usually kleen prep or Picolax) are very powerful and empty your entire GI tract quickly and you will make several visits to the loo lol. Hope you get sorted. The procedure is painless, they give you very strong painkillers and strong sedatives.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Alan, good luck with the procedure tomorrow and hope all turns out well.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WEll done on your efforts so far Alan, and good luck for the rest of the tests.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just great to read of your progress and hope all goes well :)

Mike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your bloods are amazing!

And all the best with the surgery. There'll be no stopping you once it's done!

You were one of the first ppl to ever 'like' one of m posts, so i'e got a soft spot for you. :D

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Had the colonoscopy this morning. Nothing to worry about at all, some pain when they were going round the bends but that was all. In and out in under 90 minutes. Appears I have diverticulitis, mild, but there nevertheless. Simple method of managing this with even more fibre and drinking plenty -they suggested water as I don't drink alcohol. Lol.
I post this only for "knowledge" as there appears to be people who have stomach pains, blame Metformin and leave it at that. It may be something else, easily investigated and if it is diverticulitis then simply fixed. It is a lifetime problem as is diabetes. All we can do is to manage it with antibiotics when it is infected.
How this helps.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Thank you all for your words of support - much appreciated.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A really encouraging post.
Well done, you have must be so pleased.
Take care,
Bee Gee

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi alanp35, pleased you got a good result , hope your xmas is long and enjoyable, you deserve it ,well done::))