And so it begins: Eat less meat or we’ll make you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this report late last year. It’s mind boggling!
RETHINKX: FARMING AND AGRICULTURE - Precision Fermentation(PF)

Highlights of the report findings include:
* Industry Impacts
* By 2030, the number of cows in the U.S. will have fallen by 50%. Production volumes of the U.S. beef and dairy industries and their suppliers will be cut by more than half.
* By 2030, the market for ground beef by volume will have shrunk by 70%, the steak market by 30% and the dairy market by almost 90%. The markets for other cow products (leather, collagen, etc.) are likely to decline by more than 90%. In total, demand for cow products will fall by 70%.
* By 2030, the U.S. dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed, leaving only local specialty farms in operation.
* By 2035, demand for cow products will fall by 80%-90% and U.S. beef and dairy industry (and their suppliers) revenues, at current prices, will be down nearly 90%.
* Farmland values will collapse by 40%-80%.
* The volume of crops needed to feed cattle in the U.S. will fall by 50% from 155 million tons in 2018 to 80 million tons in 2030, causing cattle feed production revenues, at current prices, to fall by more than 50% from 60 billion in 2019 to less than $30 billion in 2030.
* Other livestock industries will suffer similar disruptions, while the knock-on effects for crop farmers and businesses throughout the value chain will be severe.
* Food Cost Savings
* The cost of modern foods and products will be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices and increased disposable incomes. The average U.S. family will save more than $1,200 a year in food costs, keeping an additional $100bn a year in Americans’ pockets by 2030.
* Jobs Lost and Gained
* Half of the 1.2 million jobs in U.S. beef and dairy production (including supply chain), along with their associated industries, will be lost by 2030, climbing toward 90% by 2035.
* The emerging U.S. modern foods industry will create at least 700,000 jobs by 2030 and up to 1 million jobs by 2035.
* Modern foods will be far more efficient than animal-derived products: Up to 100 times more land efficient, 10-25 times more feedstock efficient, 20 times more time efficient, and 10 times more water efficient than industrial livestock. They will also produce an order of magnitude less waste.
* By 2035, 60% of the land currently used for livestock and feed production will be freed for other uses. These 485 million acres equate to 13 times the size of Iowa, an area almost the size of the Louisiana Purchase. If all this land were dedicated to maximize carbon sequestration, all current sources of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions could be fully offset by 2035.
* U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from cattle will drop by 60% by 2030, on course to nearly 80% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net emissions from the sector as a whole will decline by 45% by 2030, on course to 65% by 2035.
* Water consumption in cattle production and associated feed cropland irrigation will fall by 50% by 2030, on course to 75% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net water consumption in the sector as a whole will decline by 35% by 2030, on course to 60% by 2035.
* Oil demand from the U.S. agriculture industry (currently 150 million barrels of oil equivalent a year) will fall by at least 50% by 2030.
* The modern food system will be decentralized and therefore more stable and resilient, thereby increasing food security.
* Nutritional benefits could have profound impact on health, particularly conditions such as heart disease, obesity, cancer, and diabetes that are estimated to cost the U.S. $1.7 trillion each year. The way they are produced should also ensure a sharp reduction in foodborne illness.
* Trade relations and geo-politics will shift due to a decentralized food production system.
* Any country will be able to capture the opportunities associated with a global industry worth hundreds of billions of dollars.
The new report focuses on the food industry, but the same technology is poised to disrupt and blur the lines that separate food, cosmetics, healthcare, and materials. The sheer scale of this market opportunity will create a virtuous cycle, attracting talent and investment, increasing research and development, improving products and processes and inventing new ones, accelerating market growth, driving down costs and speeding up adoption.
So says Big Ag and Mega Bucks. I was following this until I got to the point where it discusses that the replacement diet will improve "heart disease, obesity, cancer, and diabetes", Then I lost it big time.

The WHO has recently owned up to its statistics for beef farming to be grossly wrong, So this report will be using the standard Environmental script and unfortunately it is the version that is winning popularity amongst politicians because there is money to be made in it. But the science is very dubious. Two WHO / FAO Directors got kicked out over their involvement with an interested party that skewed their reporting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barb McD
M

Member496333

Maybe we need to pay more attention to the vegans in here that mange to also genuinely low carb. We might have to follow suit no matter how difficult or undesirable to us it is and pray that supplements become affordable. That is if no one manages to stop this steamroller that seems to be hurtling downhill at a growing pace.

But also remember that not everything is about carbohydrate. Many people choose not to eat grains & plants for all manner of reasons. Choice is wonderful...until it's gone. Not being contrarian, as I believe we are on the same page, but just adding to your comment.

Reactions: Barb McD and jjraak

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to let you know this same report was posted in the Saving the Planet thread too by the same poster.

Hotpepper20000

I believe that the anti meat movement is the same as the low fat movement. In theory it all sounds good and logical for people. 30-40 years down the road they wonder why heart disease, diabetes, cancer .......... haven’t decreased.

We have to remember that the majority of the population doesn’t research about nutrition and science and just takes it on face value what the read and hear.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read on the BBC website, a firm of property developers, Igloo Regeneration, will not pay employee meal expenses that contain a meat item. They all have to be vegetarian (at work) in order to claim. Apparently most of the employees voted in favour, however those that didn’t now do not have a choice. Big Brother is coming!

Reactions: ert and Barb McD

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that the anti meat movement is the same as the low fat movement. In theory it all sounds good and logical for people. 30-40 years down the road they wonder why heart disease, diabetes, cancer .......... haven’t decreased.

We have to remember that the majority of the population doesn’t research about nutrition and science and just takes it on face value what the read and hear.
The unfortunate fact that most people will not research the diet even on this site, shows the danger presented by a nutritionally deficient diet becoming the only option. I have on many occasions tried to point out where the diet is not helpful but it was shouted down not by science or logic, but by using the enotional or guilt argument. I have tried to involve others using this diet and asked them directly what to do about the known deficiencies, and there was silence. When I asked specifially for what science underwrites the claims of a healthy diet then this too attracted silence or very poor evidence. Remember that the vegan society was only launched in the 1930's so is a new kid on the block. It does not have a long history or track record.

Reactions: Barb McD and zand

Hotpepper20000

The unfortunate fact that most people will not research the diet even on this site, shows the danger presented by a nutritionally deficient diet becoming the only option. I have on many occasions tried to point out where the diet is not helpful but it was shouted down not by science or logic, but by using the enotional or guilt argument. I have tried to involve others using this diet and asked them directly what to do about the known deficiencies, and there was silence. When I asked specifially for what science underwrites the claims of a healthy diet then this too attracted silence or very poor evidence. Remember that the vegan society was only launched in the 1930's so is a new kid on the block. It does not have a long history or track record.
It’s not just vegans or vegetarians that don't research the science.
When a cooking show or talk show says something is good or bad the general population just takes it a face value.
“Healthy whole grains” is a genius marketing ploy that has been very successful. How may times have we heard from newbies that they have changed from white to brown rice or whole grain pasta and bread.
Same as oatmeal being important for lowering cholesterol, or margarine and seed oils are better then animal fat.
How many actually look up the science?
It is the same with going meat free will save the planet. Very few look at what it would take to feed the worlds population on plants or the cost of transporting all of it and the pollution.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very funny, You can see I am amused.
As an insulin user you can joke about this and you do not need to consider the need for low carb diets. These measures will force me and all other T2D onto insulin treatment before our time, and with 3m of us in the UK (> 5m by 2025) then I baggsie your share of the insulin. We outnumber you so it is not in your interests either.

Hello?
My father was T2. My mother was a vegan.. I say "was" with my mum, because she developed Alzheimer's.
Nothing wrong with her diet & lifestyle according to the HCPs.. Can't understand how she got it..
So, she's forgotten shes a vegan & just started eating a varied diet.. (That was the early warning her cognitive wasn't quite right.)
Strangely? Her condition has not progressed. It ain't got any better either.. Hmm you've heard of "type 3?"

My carb intake is quite a lot less than you would imagine, Sir.. Meat. i love it to death..

Insulin & Brexit. topic is for another thread.. If you have any idea on my personal prediction on that one?
If we do end up going down the American health care model route. i may well end up in "skid row." ;)

It's unfortunate that you may feel i don't take this seriously.

I'm just too busy putting the oxygen mask on "my own" right now as the wings fall off this lean skinless bird. o_O

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello?
My father was T2. My mother was a vegan.. I say "was" with my mum, because she developed Alzheimer's.
Nothing wrong with her diet & lifestyle according to the HCPs.. Can't understand how she got it..
So, she's forgotten shes a vegan & just started eating a varied diet.. (That was the early warning her cognitive wasn't quite right.)
Strangely? Her condition has not progressed. It ain't got any better either.. Hmm you've heard of "type 3?"

My carb intake is quite a lot less than you would imagine, Sir.. Meat. i love it to death..

Insulin & Brexit. topic is for another thread.. If you have any idea on my personal prediction on that one?
If we do end up going down the American health care model route. i may well end up in "skid row." ;)

It's unfortunate that you may feel i don't take this seriously.

I'm just too busy putting the oxygen mask on "my own" right now as the wings fall off this lean skinless bird. o_O
Apologies. I too hide behind humour when my life goes belly up. My OH was blue lighted twice to county hospital this week. I noted that your replies were perhaps a bit more flippant than I was used to seeing from you, so may I suggest we both take a deep breathe and step back a bit.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies. I too hide behind humour when my life goes belly up. My OH was blue lighted twice to county hospital this week. I noted that your replies were perhaps a bit more flippant than I was used to seeing from you, so may I suggest we both take a deep breathe and step back a bit.
Hey! yer all good in my book. :cool:

I hope your OH is in good hands & doing alright?

I just wouldn't wish to disenfranchise others with a different diatary choice.

I feel this mess affects us all...
On a global scale. I don't think it will end famine in certain areas either. :banghead:

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just read on the BBC website, a firm of property developers, Igloo Regeneration, will not pay employee meal expenses that contain a meat item. They all have to be vegetarian (at work) in order to claim. Apparently most of the employees voted in favour, however those that didn’t now do not have a choice. Big Brother is coming!
Just saw a Skye News report on this very topic. They had the CEO of a Lab Meat company arguing for free choice and the CEO of a firm called ProVeg who toed the party line including all the statistics for beef farming etc. The Lab Meat guy was only pro meat because as he said, they are a year way from having viable product. So two vested interests, zero from the meat industry to countermand this story.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are we heading for some sort of "prohibition" on meat like the 1920s alcohol temperance..

Are we looking at driving the humble steak underground with special secret clubs like a sort of "meat easys."

Or am i talking total Morlocks.

I feel its a pretty good "opportunity" to instigate an agenda under false pretences..

There will be those who can afford it.. For the rest?

There just may be some sort of Eloi'ver Twist..

View attachment 38757

hahaha..."Meat Easy's"..Nice :hilarious:

i'll be distinctly Anti-Cowhibitionist, myself, so while i can still afford it, i'll be going through those Meat Easy doors like a fiddlers elbow..,:D

and we both know they never banned fats either, did they ?..
Just demonised them, and told us we would DIE :***:

so we followed like lambs.until the chickens came home to roost, and we all realised we'd been sold a lemon.
and we're now all Donald ducked, ...health wise that is.

Happy Days.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just saw a Skye News report on this very topic. They had the CEO of a Lab Meat company arguing for free choice and the CEO of a firm called ProVeg who toed the party line including all the statistics for beef farming etc. The Lab Meat guy was only pro meat because as he said, they are a year way from having viable product. So two vested interests, zero from the meat industry to countermand this story.
On same channel just now they interviewed an environmental scientist about the floods. He stated the same mantra that its global warming, and we will be seeing more and more of these events because "warm air holds more water picked up from the ocean", My thought immediately went - we are getting these floods around Boxing day and early year till spring tides. It is not too warm at this time, but will be warmer in the summer. How come we are not seeing these events all summer?

Putting the boot on the other foot, if we are going to have wetter clouds, then yes, that could be bad news for HMS UK but good news for Spain and Italy and Tunisia who suffer droughts. Some you win some you lose, so we adapt - right? Its not the end of civilisation.

I wish these environmentalists engage their brains before spouting forth. A quick sanity check is all that is needed and it will save any quack checks later.

Edit to add: same channel different scientist. Apparently every degree rise in temperature the air holds an extra 7% more water. In my day it was that water vapour increases by 7%. But temp rise from what level. Above dew point? above the last temp measured today? Depends on humidity of the air, and that also depends on atmospheric pressure, It also varies with height above a water source so air over a desert is not affected by much, over an ocean probably. Water vapour is the GHG that they refuse to acknowledge, yet here they are blaming flooding on it. They also discount the effect of icing making hailstomes which are even more efficient at holding a lot of water. But thats a drop in temperture not a rise.

Water vapour is the strongest GHG there is but it is different to the others. It is self regulating. Water vapour raises temp but the rise in temp creates clouds which blocks the sun thus reducing temp to an equilibrium so the nett warming is much the same. What has altered is the addition of other non vcondensing gases such as sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxide i,e, industrial pollution, and it is this that alters that equilibrium point

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On same channel just now they interviewed an environmental scientist about the floods. He stated the same mantra that its global warming, and we will be seeing more and more of these events because "warm air holds more water picked up from the ocean", My thought immediately went - we are getting these floods around Boxing day and early year till spring tides. It is not too warm at this time, but will be warmer in the summer. How come we are not seeing these events all summer?

Putting the boot on the other foot, if we are going to have wetter clouds, then yes, that could be bad news for HMS UK but good news for Spain and Italy and Tunisia who suffer droughts. Some you win some you lose, so we adapt - right? Its not the end of civilisation.

I wish these environmentalists engage their brains before spouting forth. A quick sanity check is all that is needed and it will save any quack checks later.
You do know that weather systems are global and the hot parts of the world affect our weather, yes?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it the case, can anyone tell me, that the actual figures of climate change, ie warming of the globe, have been discovered to have been miscalculated because the average figures were calculated over a 30 year period about a century ago and compared to figures from a 5 year time slot in the last century. I was told this on Sunday by my brother, who doesn't really believe in man's overpowering influence on a warming earth. He also said that the current temperatures are similar to those just before the last ice age, so maybe that's where we are heading after all.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do know that weather systems are global and the hot parts of the world affect our weather, yes?
The storms that do the damage in the UK are either Westerlies or Sou'Westers so come from a known region across the Atlantic. We know Dennis dumped most of its load over Washington State before coming here, so it picked up more amunition over the sea, So why was there so much water this time? These storms are seasonal so are expected events. I can remember worse ones that these two in my earlier existence. I believe 1666 was a bad year for us. (not in my existance I hasten to point out)

One scientist interviewed today made a simple comment - the water tables were too high and the water could not be absorbed at all. In the UK we used to control the water tables by pumping and artesian wells driven by windmills. We had sluices and spillways that the local bailiffs operated to control the river levels, and we dredged a lot. None of that happens today, The Bailiffs have been disbanded, the pumping stations closed down and the rivers authoriries who used to know their areas intimitely have been shut down to make the NRA the only authority in the whole of the UK, Centralised budget, We build on flood plains and concrete over most of the urbsn landscape so when water falls, it has restricted outfalls to get out by. There used to be Storm Drains, culverts, and sumps that would fill and empty when a storm passes over, but these are no longer looked after. In my town they did actually dig them out and got them working again, and we had no flooding this year, And our main river ws dredged too, so inland farming is not flooded either this year, So we can alleviate the situation. And our flood barrier promised three years ago still has not got planning permission yet. That is supposed to protect us from spring tides.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it the case, can anyone tell me, that the actual figures of climate change, ie warming of the globe, have been discovered to have been miscalculated because the average figures were calculated over a 30 year period about a century ago and compared to figures from a 5 year time slot in the last century. I was told this on Sunday by my brother, who doesn't really believe in man's overpowering influence on a warming earth. He also said that the current temperatures are similar to those just before the last ice age, so maybe that's where we are heading after all.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/10/17/new-paper-confirms-the-climate-was-warmer-1000-years-ago/
This might be it: published in 2012.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And thus great empires begin...

a little bit i knew, but a most interesting read
putting it all together .

cheers for the posting

for those who didn't know it,
here's a tiny bit about who supplies our foods,
when you consider the massive selection in the food aisles,
you think it would be in the Hundreds, right...:)

10... is the magic number...:wideyed:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money...panies-that-control-the-worlds-food/14056133/