Any advice please?

VW754

I have been a type 2 for around 23 years now, been on metformin 750mg twice a day and gliclazide 80mg.
Always taken metformin in the morning with breakfast.
Taken metformin and gliclazide with my evening meal.
Recently started taking fenugreek tablets and moringa tablet in the afternoon. (heard was good for health)
I stopped taking gliclazide 4 days ago, I've noticed my sugars are hovering around 16.5+ after 3 hours of eating.
Morning has gone up to 10.3
From 7.8.
I've heard this is rebound of not taking gliclazide.
Do I carry on not taking gliclazide... Hoping it comes down or should I start taking gliclazide again?
I just had a feeling gliclazide wasn't doing anything, so I tried stopping see what happened.

Reactions: Moggy1968

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why did you stop the gliclazide?
Your numbers are pretty high, have you spoken to your doctor or diabetes nurse about this?

Reactions: VW754

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just had a feeling gliclazide wasn't doing anything, so I tried stopping see what happened.

Well, I think you now know what happens when you skip the gliclazide....

It's up to you whether you take any medication but your current levels seem quite high to me. I'd recommend that you discuss your options with your medical team.

There's a thread from 2018 by @miahara (who has T3c not T2) about this issue
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rebound-blood-sugar-after-stopping-gliclazide.136267/

Good luck.

Reactions: VW754

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @VW754 Where did you hear that fenugreek and moringa reduce blood glucose ?
I ask because my wife grows moringa and she hasn't tried that argument to attempt to persuade me to eat it.

Note that she does tell me about strange herbal/traditional remedies for diabetes etc., but I tell her that I already know something simple that works for me (low carb) and that I'm happy to stick with that.

Reactions: Moggy1968

VW754

Hi @VW754 Where did you hear that fenugreek and moringa reduce blood glucose ?
I ask because my wife grows moringa and she hasn't tried that argument to attempt to persuade me to eat it.

Note that she does tell me about strange herbal/traditional remedies for diabetes etc., but I tell her that I already know something simple that works for me (low carb) and that I'm happy to stick with that.
https://www.forestraga.in/blogs/knowledge-sutra/manage-your-health-better-with-moringa-and-fenugreek

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To me it is just a matter of common sense to stop eating the carbohydrates - when the sink is overflowing turn off the tap and then try to clear the blockage, don't leave the water flowing in full bore.